• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: John on May 07, 2006, 11:00 PM NHFT
Well he voted YES - twice.   >:(  And to think I wasted a perfectly good candy bar for that.
This is why I can't work with polititians .... I can't part with a candy bar.

Pat McCotter

CM LTE from non-undergrounder. Yes! We're getting the populace!

Freedom from fear?, LAURIE GREEN, Weare - Letter  
May 08. 2006 8:00AM

The Senate's decision to create a commission to study whether New Hampshire should participate in the Real ID mandate was a great disappointment.

I do not belong to any Second Amendment rights group, nor am I a Libertarian or a member of any Christian group. I am not worried about the Apocalypse. And I would not disgrace myself by putting on a Nazi uniform.

I am a citizen of Weare, N.H., United States of America. I am the proud daughter of a Marine Corps veteran, and I am a person who savors the right to vote.

I am also sick and tired of being told to be afraid. I am sick and tired of being told that my government can keep me safe if I just let it tap my telephone, investigate my library records and enter information about me in a national database.

I believe that when we give up our privacy because we have given in to fear, we are not making ourselves any safer. In some ways, we become more vulnerable.

I agree with the honorable senator from Raymond who said, "I don't mind going to the airport and taking my shoes off so some bum isn't coming along and blowing up the airplane I'm riding on." I'd like to respectfully remind Senator Barnes, however, that we both already have to do that. 

aries

Maybe NHFREE should take out an ad in the monitor considering the number of its readers that send express such libertarian sentiments :)

How much would it cost for a half page ad? I'd be glad to chip in.

d_goddard

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: d_goddard on May 08, 2006, 12:10 PM NHFT
My unofficial repot of today's Fiscal Commitee meeting is at:
http://freestateblogs.net/node/475

Nice write up Denis...
Hey could you or someone grab the archived audio from the day of the vote?
www.gencourt.state.nh.us Listen in (I was told this is where the audio is)

Leaving for business and I have a slow connection... plus I would hate for the audio to disappear. Also it would be a good idea to grab any future content from the archive for our use later.

Thanks

John

Thanks for keeping up the pressure guys.  I'll plan to be there with you, on June 7th.

From the NEW HAMPSHIRE SUNDAY NEWS, STATE HOUSE DOME column, by Tom Fahey:
. . . TOUGH BATTLE:The Real ID bill, which meant to block the state from being part of the national ID system, faces an uphill struggle in committee of conference.  The Senate changed the defiant House stance to a study, leaving the state in the Real ID system.  Privacy advocate Rep. Neal Kurk said he expects atough fight in talks with the Senate.
"The boby that is in more desarate need is in the weaker poision," he said.  We'll see how that applies to the Senate's yearning for the dental clinic.
The Department of Safety, which fought Kurk's bill, held off on the victory dance Friday.  It was first up at the Fiscal Committee with a long-standing request to accept a $3 million Real ID grant.  Safety requested another month's deay.  Administrator Wes Colby said the department wants to make sure the bill is law before it accepts the grant.

d_goddard

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 08, 2006, 01:38 PM NHFT

I have snarfed it and am editing it down to soundbites of the "good bits".
My PC disk drive is mirrored; I'll take an external-disk backup in the next few days as well :D

-Dens

aries

John - what's going on June 7th, I must've missed it.

I am free that day if you guys could use me.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: d_goddard on May 08, 2006, 01:43 PM NHFT

My PC disk drive is mirrored; I'll take an external-disk backup in the next few days as well :D

-Dens

You da man! ;D

We will always have their own words to prevent anyone from forgetting. >:D

I'll be out of touch for awhile... I'll catchup when I return.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 08, 2006, 03:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on May 08, 2006, 01:43 PM NHFT

-Dens

You da man! ;D

We will always have their own words to prevent anyone from forgetting. >:D

I'll be out of touch for awhile... I'll catchup when I return.

Curious. What does one use to "snarf" a streaming audio file?

Kat Kanning

Pat McCotter

d_goddard

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 08, 2006, 05:08 PM NHFT
Curious. What does one use to "snarf" a streaming audio file?
I use SDP
It's freeware, lets you take streaming files that typically don't download to PC, and save them directly to harddisk.
It sucks in that for a 5 hour stream, SDP takes 5 hours to download the whole thing, but in the end you have a nice copy of the file.

For sound editing I use Audacity which is also Free ("as in Speech and Beer")

Tunga

Quote from: aries on May 08, 2006, 08:26 AM NHFT
Maybe NHFREE should take out an ad in the monitor considering the number of its readers that send express such libertarian sentiments :)

If Tunga remember correctly, price is north of 6 grand for 1/2 page one day.

aries

Quote from: Tunga on May 08, 2006, 06:24 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 08, 2006, 08:26 AM NHFT

If Tunga remember correctly, price is north of 6 grand for 1/2 page one day.

Holy cow.

$15/week in the Lancaster Herald!

Maybe we should start small...