• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

I posted a thread about this but I'll post this here:

I have a standing offer from Gatsas to discuss 1582 over lunch sometime, and why he thinks NH needs RealID. He invited me, through my father, to invite a friend or two. I just need to call him and arrange something before the senate recesses.

Thoughts? Anybody want to be my friend?

Ruger Mason

House non-concurs, Senate refuses to hold conference committee:

Thursday, May 11, 2006   Senate   Sen. Barnes Refuse to Accede to House Request for Committee of Conference, RC 14Y-7N, MA
Thursday, May 11, 2006   House   Speaker Appts, Reps. Packard, Nadeau, Ferland and Kurk
Thursday, May 11, 2006   House   House NON-Concurs with Senate AM, Request Comm of Conference, MA, VV
Thursday, May 11, 2006   House   Rep. Kurk moves Committee of Conference
Thursday, May 11, 2006   House   House Non-Concurs with Senate AM, Rep. Packard, ML, VV

Senate non-concurs on SB 399:

Thursday, May 11, 2006   Senate   Sen. Morse Non Concur with House Amendment, MA, VV

FTL_Ian

Translation please?   ???

Ruger Mason

Translation is its dead.  The Senate killed it.  Next step is to stop them from collecting the $3M.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Ruger Mason on May 11, 2006, 11:46 PM NHFT
Translation is its dead.  The Senate killed it.  Next step is to stop them from collecting the $3M.

Does that mean the House bill that Kurk got the REAL ID attached to is also dead?  That bill sucked.

aries

Man, it sucks when you have a libertarian/left house and a right/authoritarian senate.

1582:
QuoteThursday, May 11, 2006 Senate Sen. Barnes Refuse to Accede to House Request for Committee of Conference, RC 14Y-7N, MA

Thursday, May 11, 2006 House Speaker Appts, Reps. Packard, Nadeau, Ferland and Kurk

Thursday, May 11, 2006 House House NON-Concurs with Senate AM, Request Comm of Conference, MA, VV

Thursday, May 11, 2006 House Rep. Kurk moves Committee of Conference

Thursday, May 11, 2006 House House Non-Concurs with Senate AM, Rep. Packard, ML, VV

399:
Thursday, May 11, 2006 Senate Sen. Morse Non Concur with House Amendment, MA, VV

Thursday, May 4, 2006 House Passed with AM's, MA, VV

Thursday, May 4, 2006 House Flr AM {2184h}, (Rep. Rosenwald), AA, VV

Thursday, May 4, 2006 House Flr AM {2111h} (Rep. Kurk), AA, VV

Thursday, May 4, 2006 House Comm AM {1904h}, AA, VV
The bold bit was 1582.

Well, getting pulled over after 2008 sure will be a fun experience.

Ruger Mason

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on May 12, 2006, 01:23 AM NHFT

Does that mean the House bill that Kurk got the REAL ID attached to is also dead?  That bill sucked.

Both bills are dead.

Dreepa

Check out this article in the Concord Monitor:
http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060512/REPOSITORY/605120346

and this quote from Clegg
Once the speeches were over and the dust had settled, both bills were dead, and plenty of lawmakers were unhappy. Top Senate Republicans chastised Kurk for putting privacy concerns over public safety, and they accused him of siding with groups like the Free State Project, a movement of libertarians who are migrating to New Hampshire to lobby for small government.

"He chose the Free-Staters over the health of the citizens of New Hampshire," said Majority Leader Bob Clegg, of Hudson. "That's wrong."

aries

Quote from: Ruger Mason on May 12, 2006, 07:32 AM NHFT
Quote from: Keith and Stuff on May 12, 2006, 01:23 AM NHFT

Both bills are dead.
We need to reintroduce the spirit of 1582 into some other bill, written in cryptic legalese.

For instance, a lengthy bill establishing a committee to study the mission of the DMV and provide reccommendations for its improvement, and somewhere in there, a roundabout way of stating that the DMV is to suspend all amendment of procedures until the committee reccomendation is produced, then somewhere in there, mentioning that the committee would be set up no sooner than 2008.

Or something, I still think we could reject RealID but at the moment things are looking very grim. If we can't, remember people, life goes on. Even if I do manage to get a license renewal, you can bet your ass it's going in the microwave (or whatever would disable RFID), and as I did with my current license, I will doodle over the barcode with a sharpie and shave off the magnetic strip with a pocket knife. God forbid a cop has to manually enter my license number.

aries

Quote from: Dreepa on May 12, 2006, 08:07 AM NHFT
http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060512/REPOSITORY/605120346

Once the speeches were over and the dust had settled, both bills were dead, and plenty of lawmakers were unhappy. Top Senate Republicans chastised Kurk for putting privacy concerns over public safety, and they accused him of siding with groups like the Free State Project, a movement of libertarians who are migrating to New Hampshire to lobby for small government.

"He chose the Free-Staters over the health of the citizens of New Hampshire," said Majority Leader Bob Clegg, of Hudson. "That's wrong."

Hey Clegg, we're here to improve the health and freedom of the citizens of NH. Looks like you sided with irrationality and bribes over your own people. Corrupt bastard.

aries

Have any other states taken a stand against RealID?

president

Quote from: Dreepa on May 12, 2006, 08:07 AM NHFT

;D

"New Hampshire has no defense against the onset of Real ID," Burling said. "It was nothing but Republican votes that killed our defense."

Dreepa

of course not mentioned in the article is that 'bird flu' bill wanted to suspend the right to assemble.

aries

Quote from: Dreepa on May 12, 2006, 08:16 AM NHFT
of course not mentioned in the article is that 'bird flu' bill wanted to suspend the right to assemble.
I hope Kurk tacks 1582 onto every bill he can, good or bad. Even if he isn't voting to pass it.

He's got my respect as one of the better members of the house.

JonM

Can someone approach Governor Lynch about an executive order prohibiting the taking of the $3 million and participating in the Real ID program?  Does the governor have that power?