• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I can work on the 14 soon...
Today, got to go take the family for dental fun... Oh Boy :P

Wanted posters, line ups, all good ideas.
You guys can help steer me to the right tone. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Was up late starting to wade through the video footage. Boy those guys sure were slippery. ;D

d_goddard

Quote from: katdillon on May 18, 2006, 07:00 AM NHFT
Please help me make sure I get this right. 
Senate vote on amendment:  Yes vote = bad
Senate vote on OTP w/amendment:  Yes vote = bad or ?

Senate Committee vote on OTP : Yes vote = Good (this was when all 6 on the commitee voted 1582 Ought To Pass)

Senate vote on amendment:  Yes vote = BAD (This is what gutted the original 1582)

Senate vote on OTP w/amendment : Yes vote = Good, or at least as good as it gets at that point (At least that way there'd be a study committee)

Senate vote on Barnes' motion against formation of Committee of Conference : Yes vote = BAD (This is what finally killed it DEAD, no more discussion, no studies, kicked the bucket, shuffled off the mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisibile!)

Ruger Mason

Quote from: aries on May 18, 2006, 06:07 AM NHFT
He did vote against the commission... maybe he felt that it was useless at this point or something... I just don't want to make him an enemy yet, he's been a pro-liberty senator, on the whole.

Gallus voted against the committee of conference, not the commission.  If you want to know exactly why he did, you'll have to ask him.  I suspect however that both he and Bragdon realized that the committee of conference would have gone nowhere, and been a waste of time for those involved.  It might have been great fun for us to watch, but senators are very busy and probably aren't interested in spending hours on futile exercise.

Dave Ridley

Sent this to Councilor Wieczorek and a customized version to each of the Councilors.  I've also e-mailed Lynch's office. 

Below this message I will post contact info for all the Councilors.

Dear Councilor Wieczorek:

I wanted to ask what, if anything, you are planning to do to stop the acceptance of that 3 million dollar, kiss-of-death Real ID grant.   After the duplicitous actions of the normally pro-liberty Senate majority, I understand the Council and Governor have become a last line of defense between me and the advent of a Federal surveillance state.  I understand you can refuse to take the money and thus stop Real ID in New Hampshire.   

I hope you will do so, that you will vote to say no to this money, rather standing still while they try to brand and track us like animals.

Thanks for listening,

(sig)

P.S.: I would *love* to have a driver's license that says is it is "not approved" by the Federal government! 

Dave Ridley

exec councilor contact info :

Councilor Raymond S. Burton
Councilor Raymond Burton
338 River Road
Bath, New Hampshire 03740
Telephone:
Home Office: 603/747-3662
Business: 603/787-6941
Car: 603/481-0863
E-Mail:
rburton@gov.state.nh.us
Party Affiliation:
Republican

Councilor Peter J. Spaulding
Councilor Peter J. Spaulding
Biography
        Address:
386 Gage Hill Road
Hopkinton, New Hampshire 03229
Telephone:
Home Office: 603/746-2670
E-Mail:
pspaulding@gov.state.nh.us
Party Affiliation:
Republican

Councilor Ruth L. Griffin
Councilor Ruth L. Griffin
Biography
        Address:
479 Richards Avenue
Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801
Telephone:
Home Office: 603/436-5272
E-Mail:
rgriffin@gov.state.nh.us

Party Affiliation:
Republican

Councilor Raymond J. Wieczorek
Councilor Raymond J. Wieczorek
Biography
        Address:
1060 Ray Street
Manchester, NH 03104-1620
Telephone:
Home Office: 603-624-1655
Office: 603-271-3632
E-Mail:
rwieczorek@gov.state.nh.us

Party Affiliation:
Republican

Councilor Debora Pignatelli
Address:
22 Appletree Green
Nashua, NH 03062
Telephone:
Home Office: 603-888-5245
E-Mail:
debora.pignatelli@nh.gov

Party Affiliation:
Democrat

NC2NH

and why they wanted people in New Orleans to starve

A minor point I don't think has been addressd anywhere: The REAL ID Act was part of a bill to fund Asian tsunami recovery, not Hurricane Katrina victims. Of course, the NH senators got it wrong during the floor debate, as they referred to the bill as being for Katrina recovery. REAL ID was passed in May 2005. Katrina hit in August 2005.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: NC2NH on May 18, 2006, 09:46 PM NHFT
and why they wanted people in New Orleans to starve

A minor point I don't think has been addressd anywhere: The REAL ID Act was part of a bill to fund Asian tsunami recovery, not Hurricane Katrina victims. Of course, the NH senators got it wrong during the floor debate, as they referred to the bill as being for Katrina recovery. REAL ID was passed in May 2005. Katrina hit in August 2005.

H.R.1268
Title: An act making Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, and for other purposes.

Russell Kanning

..... and for the children.

Were any of you there for the final vote to destroy the committee?

Tom Sawyer

Searching around found this video.
From http://www.carolforcongress.com/
QuoteVideo from the 4/22 Real ID Rally in Concord
on Monday, April 24th 2006 8:50 pm

On April 22 Carol spoke at the Real ID Rally in Concord NH. The rally was sponsored by a coalition of NH Citizen's groups who oppose the National Real ID act and support State legislation to make NH compliance against the law. More info at www.granitestateid.com

Watch the video of Carol's speech.
Windows Media Format: Download Video | running time: 7:00 http://www.carolforcongress.com/media/c4c_realid_042206.wmv
MPEG 4 format (ipod/quicktime): Download Video | running time: 7:00 http://www.carolforcongress.com/media/c4c_realid_042206.mp4

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rocketman

Sent this to all five councilors:

Dear Councilor XXXXXXX,

I hope you have been following the recent legislative battle over whether or not New Hampshire should comply with the federal Real ID program.  Bowing to pressure from Washington, DC, twelve NH state senators voted to gut HB 1582, which would have spared our state and its taxpayers from the burden of compliance with this intrusive and unnecessary federal mandate. 

And now it appears that the governor and executive council are our only line of defense against this irrational scheme to accept Real ID before the federal government even tells us what Real ID will be.  Would you buy a car from Homeland Security boss Michael Chertoff without even looking under the hood? 

I urge you to vote against accepting this three million dollar bribe from the federal government.  Once New Hampshire accepts that money, there will be no going back; our driver's license system will be beholden to the whims and fancies of an unelected Washington bureaucrat.  Just what we need, right?

Please understand that this may be the most important vote you cast as executive councilor.  Thank you for listening.

Matt Simon
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Rocketman

And Dada, thanks for posting the councilor info.

Dreepa

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Rocketman on May 19, 2006, 01:06 PM NHFT
Sent this to all five councilors:

Dear Councilor XXXXXXX,

I hope you have been following the recent legislative battle over whether or not New Hampshire should comply with the federal Real ID program.  Bowing to pressure from Washington, DC, twelve NH state senators voted to gut HB 1582, which would have spared our state and its taxpayers from the burden of compliance with this intrusive and unnecessary federal mandate. 

And now it appears that the governor and executive council are our only line of defense against this irrational scheme to accept Real ID before the federal government even tells us what Real ID will be.  Would you buy a car from Homeland Security boss Michael Chertoff without even looking under the hood? 

I urge you to vote against accepting this three million dollar bribe from the federal government.  Once New Hampshire accepts that money, there will be no going back; our driver's license system will be beholden to the whims and fancies of an unelected Washington bureaucrat.  Just what we need, right?

Please understand that this may be the most important vote you cast as executive councilor.  Thank you for listening.

Matt Simon
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Very well done... has an edge without going over the top. (I have trouble with that balancing act ;))

Rocketman

Oh yeah Dreepa, it was 14... I was subtracting Bragdon and Gallus from the number 14, not 16.  Math=suck.

Thanks Roger, that's what I was going for.

Dreepa

From last Sunday's Monitor.. I missed this:

Harsh words

Senate Majority Leader Bob Clegg had heated words about Rep. Neal Kurk during the House-Senate game of chicken over Real ID.

The Senate wanted to accept a $3 million federal grant in exchange for trying out the program. The House saw it as a payoff to accept federal drivers'license rules that could violate New Hampshire's "Live Free or Die" spirit.

Victory for the Senate came with a cost: the demise of a bill to grant the health commissioner broad emergency powers in the event of a pandemic.

Clegg said he had the perfect way to get back at Kurk, who is so private he does not even provide his picture for the legislative handbook. "We're going to get a billboard and put his face on it to find out what it is he wants to hide from," Clegg said, launching into a fiery monologue. "If somebody dies (in a pandemic), Neal Kurk can sit there and decide whether or not he's got a conscience."

Clegg railed against Kurk's fear of Social Security numbers and made a couple of cracks about what Kurk might have learned at "Hah-vahd," among other remarks. (Kurk is a Harvard Law alum - not that he supplied the information to the handbook.)

Scribes scribbled.

"I can keep going if you really want me to beat him up," Clegg said.

Senate President Ted Gatsasrolled his eyes, and the media pack around Clegg dispersed.

"He's like a gasoline fire, so don't keep his blaze perpetuating," Gatsas said.