• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunga

http://papersplease.org/scan.html?a=f&id=57

Alaska Says 'No' To REAL ID
Alaska struck the first legal blow in the fight against a national ID card by refusing to pass legislation to bring the state in line with REAL ID requirements.

The bill, SB-189, breezed through the state's rubber stamp Senate before being killed by a duo of freedom-loving legislators in the House of Representatives.

Who are these heroes of the Bill of Rights? Front and center is Rep. Paul Seaton of Homer, a commercial fisherman and Chairman of the House State Affairs Committee. Through his leadership and by voting against fellow Republicans, Rep. Seaton killed SB-189 and beat back a last minute attempt to resurrect the bill by his party. The party paid him back by killing most, if not all of his own bills.

Assisting him in fighting-off REAL ID was Rep. Max Gruenberg of Anchorage, the former House majority leader when it was under Democratic control. Rep. Gruenberg worked across party lines to make sure that this piece of un-American legislation died on the vine.

The Identity Project is proud to have been involved in testifying before the State Affairs Committee and providing the information needed to make sure that the oppression of a national ID card never hits the shores of the Last Frontier.

Alaska has said 'no' to a national ID card: which other state will love freedom enough to follow in their footsteps?

aries

Hmm, Alaska has a hard-to-deal-with senate as well... at least we aren't alone.

jgmaynard

I've been thinking for years about an "unwanted" poster for situations like this, but negative campaigning usually backfires in NH. It WOULD make the news though, methinks. Darn, it WOULD be cute, though....

JM

John

Quote from: russellkanning on May 20, 2006, 01:01 PM NHFT
Why can't he say "no" now?

I have one commitment to vote with the good team.  As in, "You can count on me . . ."
We need to keep working!

John

Tom Sawyer

I need input on this video piece I'm working on featuring Pastor Garrett Lear.
2 3/4 minutes screening copy of a work in progress.
http://www.politicalgraffiti.com/no_national_id/Garrett_Lear-Pastor-SAMPLE.mov

QuickTime 5.3 MB file
H.264 codec

[I'll post a version for those folks that have difficulty with this codec later (can't tie up the computer right now)]

It needs some text to sum up the trickery of the Senators. It would go over the black at the end.
Needs to be concise and of the right tone for a church audience.

The struggle over the Real ID National ID is really just beginning, I'd like to get this in front of the wider audience soon.

Kat Kanning

Going to try and watch it, but how about someone reading William Wipple's summary of what went on?

http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=36

burnthebeautiful

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 25, 2006, 02:58 PM NHFT

QuickTime 5.3 MB file
H.264 codec

[I'll post a version for those folks that have difficulty with this codec later (can't tie up the computer right now)]

It needs some text to sum up the trickery of the Senators. It would go over the black at the end.

The struggle over the Real ID National ID is really just beginning, I'd like to get this in front of the wider audience soon.

Some suggestions, mostly to do with having to edit Garret Lear when he's not being very clear.

He says "I support HB1582, now some people call that Real ID". That makes it sound like HB1582 is real ID, something he supports. This may confuse people. So I propose cutting out the "now some people call that real ID" part, making it "I'm here because I support HB1582, I was also one of the speakers in the rally".
Also people aren't watching the interview the day it was recorded, the real id rally didn't take place last saturday anymore because the video is now old, so that part should go.

So I propose cutting it so it's: "Well my name is Garret Lear, most people know me across the country as The Patriot Pastor. I am the lead elder of Well of Living Water out of Wakefield, New Hampshire, and I am here because I support HB1582[...]. I was also one of the speakers at the rally[...] right here at the same venue right out in teh courtyard speaking on "No National ID".

Oh and the music plays over a black screen at the end for like 20 seconds, unneccesary.

I hope my criticism was constructive and was of help :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on May 25, 2006, 04:36 PM NHFT
Quote from: Roger Grant on May 25, 2006, 02:58 PM NHFT

QuickTime 5.3 MB file
H.264 codec

Some suggestions, mostly to do with having to edit Garret Lear when he's not being very clear.

He says "I support HB1582, now some people call that Real ID". That makes it sound like HB1582 is real ID, something he supports. This may confuse people. So I propose cutting out the "now some people call that real ID" part, making it "I'm here because I support HB1582, I was also one of the speakers in the rally".
Also people aren't watching the interview the day it was recorded, the real id rally didn't take place last saturday anymore because the video is now old, so that part should go.

So I propose cutting it so it's: "Well my name is Garret Lear, most people know me across the country as The Patriot Pastor. I am the lead elder of Well of Living Water out of Wakefield, New Hampshire, and I am here because I support HB1582[...]. I was also one of the speakers at the rally[...] right here at the same venue right out in teh courtyard speaking on "No National ID".

Oh and the music plays over a black screen at the end for like 20 seconds, unneccesary.

I hope my criticism was constructive and was of help :)

Good input thanks... I'll see how I can tighten things up as you suggest. :) The challenge is the cutaway shots to cover the edits ;)

Yeah, the back and forth of positive and negative references regarding Real ID drives me crazy... I cut to the sign No Real ID to try and help.

For future efforts if there is a way to not call things some HB 1234 kind of name, that would be better. Kind of hard to get excited about a number and after the vote who cares. :)

The music going over at the end is where I'd like to put text over black telling folks about the little trick that was pulled by the Senators and perhaps where we go from here.

Everything is still open to adjustment.

I'd like something simple and nice to give to his church (later perhaps include some of it in a longer format piece). It can be circulated in the church communities... these folks no how to organize. :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: katdillon on May 25, 2006, 04:13 PM NHFT
Going to try and watch it, but how about someone reading William Wipple's summary of what went on?

http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=36

It's well done :) but, I need like 4 short paragraphs. I'll put on in 2 screens of text at the end.
Short and (not so) sweet is what is needed.

The facts aren't as important, to cover all the details, as the emotion of being cheated into this (by DC and Concord).

The pastor followed by a gentle Paul Revere telling us 'the Real ID national ID is come'. If done right the piece can be used no matter which way things go on the issue. Having a longer life... cause No National ID is an issue that will have a longer life than the immediate steps.

ravelkinbow

I like it, I would just add a visual to the end ... imho  :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 29, 2006, 07:47 PM NHFT
I like it, I would just add a visual to the end ... imho  :)

I was thinking about using a piece of your interview you gave the Concord Monitor that I got on tape.  " ...goes against my faith..."etc. :)

aries

What even should we have, you ask?

Hmm after about 30 seconds of thought, I am thinking maybe we could dress up in police uniforms, labelled "Federal Identity Control Officer," ... in small print under the logo it could say "I am not a cop," to avoid that whole "posing as a police officer" thing. We could ask everybody on a sidewalk or street corner walking around to show us ID. Whether they refused or complied, we could give them printed out pamphlets explaining their rights in such a situation, why they should be fighting to preserve them, and what they can do.

Dave Ridley

Quote from: aries on May 29, 2006, 08:50 PM NHFT
Hmm after about 30 seconds of thought, I am thinking maybe we could dress up in police uniforms, labelled "Federal Identity Control Officer," ...

maybe do it in front of the concord fed building?