• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 30, 2006, 07:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 29, 2006, 08:50 PM NHFT
Hmm after about 30 seconds of thought, I am thinking maybe we could dress up in police uniforms, labelled "Federal Identity Control Officer," ...

maybe do it in front of the concord fed building?

Yeah, right on the sidewalk around there. I was thinking we could wear sunglasses and all black, to look very "official."

"Maam, I'm a federal identification control officer, could I see some ID?"
"Huh? Why?"
"I need to verify your identity"
"What for?"

At this point I can't really think of a good reply that says "Well, I'm actually here as an activist, here's some info, it's good you didn't readily volunteer your ID, as of course, no law compells you to" and then hand over a pamplet or something.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: aries on May 30, 2006, 10:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 30, 2006, 07:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 29, 2006, 08:50 PM NHFT
Hmm after about 30 seconds of thought, I am thinking maybe we could dress up in police uniforms, labelled "Federal Identity Control Officer," ...

maybe do it in front of the concord fed building?

Yeah, right on the sidewalk around there. I was thinking we could wear sunglasses and all black, to look very "official."

"Huh? Why?"
"What for?"

At this point I can't really think of a good reply that says "Well, I'm actually here as an activist, here's some info, it's good you didn't readily volunteer your ID, as of course, no law compells you to" and then hand over a pamplet or something.

That is a great way to get arrested.  Nothing wrong with that, but if you want to get arrested you need get the news about about this act of civil dis.

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on May 30, 2006, 10:35 PM NHFT

"Maam, I'm a federal identification control officer conducting an identification control checkpoint, could I see some ID?"

Quote"Huh? Why?"
"What for?"

"Ma'am, the Department of Homeland Security has declared that identification cards are essential to homeland security. Do you wish to voluntarily participate in a system of identity checks whenever you travel, shop, or interact with the government? If we don't reach sufficient levels of voluntary compliance, it will become mandatory. Would you want to see that?"

And then, no matter what the response, a "bystander" sweeps in to the rescue, to explain and provide literature. Don't let the MIB do the explaining, although our "agent" can join in the conversation once the situation is defused.

The problem is that this stunt requires a completely fresh audience every time. If you're relatively stationary in front of a building where pedestrians, etc., have a view of what's going on, you might have to wait a half hour or so between stages, to avoid having the next "victim" already know what's been happening.

If you want to inform more than one person at a time, you need a crowd of onlookers.

Bear with me, I'm coming up with this as I type...

I think this should be conducted as ambush theater. Conduct it for an audience, not for the "victim". The victim should be one of the players. MIB-1 confronts the victim, who resists his "for the homeland" ploy. MIB-2 sweeps in to play bad cop. Victim loudly resists, then turns to address the audience. And then, two or three bystanders step in with literature.

The problem is finding a crowd of people who will stick around for the "show", and not just walk on by. The best place to find such a crowd is anywhere people are waiting in line, and don't want to get out of line. Movie theater. Ball games. Concerts. Those are relatively captive audiences, where you can reach 20+ people within earshot with a 30 second skit.

How's that sound?

Kevin

d_goddard

Quote from: KBCraig on May 31, 2006, 01:03 AM NHFT
I think this should be conducted as ambush theater.
How's that sound?

It's brilliant and would be powerfully effective in LA, London, New York, and maybe even Boston.

But please, don't try this in NH. It would go over like a Led Zeppelin.
You'd alienate way more people than you'd illuminate.

In my experience, people here seem to prefer the well-reasoned argument, or at least the well-oiled soundbite, to political theater or demonstrations.

First rule of effective communication: Know your audience.

aries

So what else could we do to get people to see what is going to happen to them sometime down the road anyway? What can we do to arouse their inner libertarian?

What if we just approached, looking official, and asked to see ID. If they reached for it, we could cut them off and explain their rights, then introduce some information about how to keep them. If they refused, we could tell them what the issues are and how to get involved.

I think this line might be good for getting some people involved - "The free state project is a movement to get 20,000 people who like making their own choices and having a little freedom to move to the same state to participate in state politics there..." at this point they roll their eyes and think 'I'm not moving!' "... Lucky for you, you're already in the right state!"

ravelkinbow

Quote from: Roger Grant on May 29, 2006, 08:33 PM NHFT
Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 29, 2006, 07:47 PM NHFT
I like it, I would just add a visual to the end ... imho  :)

I was thinking about using a piece of your interview you gave the Concord Monitor that I got on tape.  " ...goes against my faith..."etc. :)

go for it just zip up a copy for me and send it too me...pretty please and thank you

and Thank you for the compliment of wanted to use something I said   :)

ravelkinbow

Quote from: aries on May 31, 2006, 09:04 AM NHFT
So what else could we do to get people to see what is going to happen to them sometime down the road anyway? What can we do to arouse their inner libertarian?

What if we just approached, looking official, and asked to see ID. If they reached for it, we could cut them off and explain their rights, then introduce some information about how to keep them. If they refused, we could tell them what the issues are and how to get involved.

I think this line might be good for getting some people involved - "The free state project is a movement to get 20,000 people who like making their own choices and having a little freedom to move to the same state to participate in state politics there..." at this point they roll their eyes and think 'I'm not moving!' "... Lucky for you, you're already in the right state!"

Good idea, also if you can talk to small business owners all across the state, and give them some kindof sign or flyer that didn't have anything on it that would grow old, to put up in their stores...then state senators and legistlators would see it as well as the general public.

aries

Question - if Alaska's house got to veto a bill to bring the state in line with Real ID, why didn't NH even need a bill? Why should we need a law to force the DMV not to upgrade? Shouldn't the decision to upgrade and enact federal law lie with the general court?

Dave Ridley

actually the decision could lie with the people; certainly if enough folks were to descend on the place where the system were being put into place, that could stop it.

another idea might be to call all the people who are working on the switchover and urge each of them to sabotage its anti-privacy potential in some way from the inside.  actually i guess one could just put that idea in a letter to editor.

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 31, 2006, 09:01 PM NHFT
another idea might be to call all the people who are working on the switchover and urge each of them to sabotage it

Ahem... we're well before that becomes necessary.
We need to contact exactly 5 people RIGHT NOW:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3865.0

(the exec council meets next Thursday!!!)

tracysaboe

Quote from: aries on May 31, 2006, 08:20 PM NHFT
Question - if Alaska's house got to veto a bill to bring the state in line with Real ID, why didn't NH even need a bill? Why should we need a law to force the DMV not to upgrade? Shouldn't the decision to upgrade and enact federal law lie with the general court?

That's something that's been confusing me about this whole thing too.

Ever since the anti-Real ID bill came into existance.

TRacy

KBCraig

Quote from: d_goddard on May 31, 2006, 06:55 AM NHFT
Quote from: KBCraig on May 31, 2006, 01:03 AM NHFT
I think this should be conducted as ambush theater.
How's that sound?

It's brilliant and would be powerfully effective in LA, London, New York, and maybe even Boston.

But please, don't try this in NH. It would go over like a Led Zeppelin.

They sold over 300 million albums... would that we could go over like Led Zeppelin!  ;D

QuoteYou'd alienate way more people than you'd illuminate.

In my experience, people here seem to prefer the well-reasoned argument, or at least the well-oiled soundbite, to political theater or demonstrations.

First rule of effective communication: Know your audience.

Thanks for the reminder. I got caught up in the exercise without having experienced any of that Yankee sensibility firsthand.

Kevin

aries

Quote from: d_goddard on May 31, 2006, 09:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on May 31, 2006, 09:01 PM NHFT
another idea might be to call all the people who are working on the switchover and urge each of them to sabotage it

Ahem... we're well before that becomes necessary.
We need to contact exactly 5 people RIGHT NOW:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3865.0

(the exec council meets next Thursday!!!)

I met Ray Burton the other day, I should have brought this up. I forgot he was a councilor.

d_goddard

Quote from: aries on June 01, 2006, 05:47 AM NHFT
I met Ray Burton the other day, I should have brought this up. I forgot he was a councilor.

First, please forgive me, but this is necessary.
This is my paddle-board.
Now, drop trou.
How could you forget?!?!?!
**SMACK!!**

OK, that's over with.
Now call this guy up RIGHT NOW!!!
And then call at least 3 of his peers on the Exec Council
Spaulding is already 100% on our side, you can save your time there -- but the jury is still out on Wieczorek, Griffin, your pal Burton, and Pignatelli (Pignatelli is making the right noises but I haven't seen her say enough *PUBLICLY* yet)

Rocketman

I'm a tiny bit afraid that if there's too much "mainstream public" noise about the executive council's role, NH might be invaded by arm-twisting DC staffers again.  In my fantasy dream world, the exec council refuses the money and shocks the crap out of everybody who never saw it coming, which includes DC jerkocrats who don't even know about the NH executive council...   ;D

Pignatelli called me a week or two ago and talked my ear off about Real ID.  I'll be very surprised (and appalled) if she flip-flops.  My BS detector didn't go off once during the entire conversation, so I believe she's solidly with us and will work to convince the others.  Spaulding emailed me and is 100%.  Burton says he's leaning our way, but we definitely need to continue contacting Burton, Weiczorek, and Griffin.  A 5-0 vote would be beautiful!