• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Another reason to support the LSF, Private/home schools!

Started by PowerPenguin, April 01, 2006, 02:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Pardon my French, but check this shit out guys:

URL: http://tinyurl.com/mrcad

The House on Thursday approved a college affordability measure, but only after a partisan fight about whether the bill would help students.

The result was an unusually divisive update of the Higher Education Act, the law aimed at making a college education more affordable. The focus now turns to the Senate, which is working on its own legislation.

The House approved its bill, 221-199, in a near party-line vote.

For consumers, the bill would make it simpler to apply for federal aid, and put pressure on colleges that repeatedly increase tuition.

It also would require schools to provide information about their costs to the Education Department, to be posted on its Web site.

But Democrats and Republicans could not agree on the core point -- how the federal government should help people deal with rising tuition.

Not only do they want to bend all institutions to their will, but they also admit that they don't even know what the flying ferret they're trying to accomplish. I don't know about everyone else, but I will not stand for this kind of BS. These are childrens' and young adults' MINDS we are talking about here. Screwing w/ the body is bad enough, but if you don't have a mind, you're nothing. Period.

Russell Kanning

Is this the Liberty Scholarship Pfund now? :)

Boy the government wants to fiddle with everything don't they.

Lloyd Danforth

I don't find  colleges and universities sympathetic victims, and see no reason to defend.  Every year all of them, arbitrarily raise their tuition. They force students to pay enormous fees to bring, primarily, anti-liberty speakers to speak on campuses. They, arbitrarily force students to buy expensive books when, for the most part the books used in past years would work perfectly fine. They commit fraud by touting well known professors on their staff who, in reality, don't teach.  They promote crap courses. Harvard has a course on 'how to be happy'.
Worse of all, they owe their existance to 'Degree Tyranny' in the work sector created by their elete graduates.

AlanM

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 01, 2006, 07:13 AM NHFT
I don't find  colleges and universities sympathetic victims, and see no reason to defend.  Every year all of them, arbitrarily raise their tuition. They force students to pay enormous fees to bring, primarily, anti-liberty speakers to speak on campuses. They, arbitrarily force students to buy expensive books when, for the most part the books used in past years would work perfectly fine. They commit fraud by touting well known professors on their staff who, in reality, don't teach.  They promote crap courses. Harvard has a course on 'how to be happy'.
Worse of all, they owe their existance to 'Degree Tyranny' in the work sector created by their elete graduates.

The Elitist mentality of most colleges is destroying the educational system. "Publish or perish"? What about "Teach or perish?" Having a degree, even a Phd., says nothing of competency. It merely says you have completed course requirements. Yet, this country is enamored of degrees. *sighs*

Lloyd Danforth

In the early 1960's most parents hoped their kids would go to college.  During the Vietnam War Draft they had to get into and stay in college to keep their 2S deferment.
A lot of kids who in the past, were not college material, got in line and many 'dummed down' colleges came into existance to accommodate them. ' Sosh degrees' became popular and universities public and private hired Maxist professors who, previously, had little chance of employment.(see: Scott Nearing)  Many, knowing little about anything practical, graduated and went into the workforce and changed Personell departments into Human Resource departments, and, instituted what many of us know as Degree Tyranny.

AlanM

The Dumbing down of schools is being done purposely. A dull-witted population is easier to control by the Elitists.

Michael Fisher

A terrifying quote from the front page of today's Hollis/Brookline Journal under a story titled "Readiness stays -- for now" about a local kindergarten program:

"If you don't grab those kids in their first years, their skills are never going to develop."
-Jane Quigley, Parent

Lloyd Danforth

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 01, 2006, 03:13 PM NHFT
What do you have against developing skills?

I... uhh.... wow, you got me on that one.   ???

::)

PowerPenguin

My University is fortunately very against the "Publish or die" mentality of the bigass state establishments. They do raise tuition, but do a lot of fund-raising for scholarships as well. I think the majority of this BS comes down to:

1. Increased legislatice BS like this and
2. INFLATION, PEOPLE! {cough} sorry...

Lloyd Danforth

You're a college student.  Research the ratio of tuition increases compared to inflation for the last 30 years or so.

Michael Fisher

On 102.5 FM today, there was a commercial paid for by commie students and teachers in Massachusetts promoting increased state funding for higher education.

With the message and the quiet, static-filled signal, it almost felt like I was having a nightmare.   :o

I am having a nightmare -- only it's real.