• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Free Time

Started by Russell Kanning, April 02, 2006, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunga

Everybodys worried about time
but I just keep that shit off my mind
People living on twenty four hour clocks
but we're on a ride that never stops.

-Dragonfly
-Dave & Ziggy Marley

NC2NH

Quote from: Lloyd 'Posterboy' Danforth on April 02, 2006, 07:55 AM NHFT
How about daylight savings time all year?

Now that the gubmint is forcing daylight saving on us earlier (and creating a mini-Y2K style computer glitch) I say enough is enough. I support NHFT. I like Lloyd's idea, but I think we should add another 30 minutes onto that. That would put us in the same time zone as southeastern Labrador and Newfoundland.

Later sunrise and sunset times. :icon_sunny:

Can the official forum time be changed to NHFT?  :icon_pirat:

1:45 AM (UTC ? 3:30)

Russell Kanning

error

Eh? My computer got an update for the upcoming DST change in 2005!! If you have a glitch it's Microsoft's fault.

eques

I hadn't patched my server for a while... turns out that the timezone files in debian are stored in the libc package.

I figured, better safe than sorry, and rebooted the thing after the update completed.

Took me all of 15 minutes.

error

For a completely unnecessary reboot and for running debian on a server. :)

eques

Quote from: error on March 05, 2007, 11:48 PM NHFT
For a completely unnecessary reboot and for running debian on a server. :)

Ouch!

What's your poison of choice?

error

My server and the FTL server are running CentOS.

I use Fedora at home.

mvpel

If you want to determine if a system with Perl is ready for the change, use the command:

/usr/bin/perl  -e '$ENV{TZ} = "US/Eastern";print scalar(localtime(1173614400))'

If it shows 08:00:00, it's ready for the change, but if it shows 07:00:00, it needs a patch.

Apparently the latest Solaris 8 patch broke the old-style specification of time zones - EST5EDT does not cope with the new timezone shift date.

I'm kind of amazed, though, that it took Microsoft until February to do a final release of this patch - they've had two years to deal with it.

NC2NH

Quote from: Hollywood on March 05, 2007, 11:15 PM NHFT
Can the official forum time be changed to NHFT?  :icon_pirat:

It is possible to change your individual time display on the forum. Click on the Profile tab. In the Modify Profile list, click on Look and Layout Preferences. I entered 1.5 in the Time Offset field and clicked the Change profile button. Voila, my very own time zone ;D

I added an Approval Voting poll. You can vote for more than one option. Also, you can change your vote(s) by removing them and re-voting.

sandm000

Is there a way to pronounce NHFT as one word?
Is there a funny acronym for the statist version? (eg Adjusted Solar Standard, Daylight Use Might Burn)

Dreepa

Russell Kanning

I do like the fun of nhft or nifty ... if just for never changing the clocks.
... in The Shire ... the small folks don't have much use for watches.

If we chose a time, some of could change it on this forum and know what time it is just by visiting here. We could even have the feds have trouble tracking us with our own special time. :)

KBCraig

Quote from: sandm000 on March 06, 2007, 01:28 PM NHFT
Is there a way to pronounce NHFT as one word?

"Nuft", as in, "I've had a Nuft, and I'm moving to New Hampshire!"

Nicholas Gilman

I vote for Eastern Standard Time + 30 minutes.  Daylight Savings Time is
silly.  OK, we dont want our children to walk to schooling in the dark, so
lets impose on every civilized human being within a three hundred mile radius
twice a year instead of changing the time school begins...brilliant idea.  :BangHead: