• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Free Time

Started by Russell Kanning, April 02, 2006, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: toowm on March 08, 2007, 11:57 AM NHFT
I vote for EST - 15 minutes, no daylight savings time, 24 hour (non-military) clock.

"The nifty time at the tone is now 12:06 NHFT." BEEP!
that would be 8) with me

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 08, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
NHFT sometimes referred to as Shire Time is 15 minutes ahead of the death star known as Washington, DC.

We have the tactical advantage of 15 minutes ahead of the OverLords.

Plus, what a great conversation starter.  :D

(This is my preference)
I like it. We are very "progressive" here in The Shire. We are always 15 minutes ahead of the feds and our money keeps going up in value compared to the USD.

NC2NH

Quote from: KBCraig on March 08, 2007, 01:58 AM NHFT
I propose returning to a business model of "open when we're here, closed when we're not". And keep the gummint's nose out of it.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 08, 2007, 04:30 AM NHFT
It does make sense to just set a time ... and then don't change it seasonally.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 08, 2007, 11:04 AM NHFT
How about we go with a general consensus of this thread after a short amount of rangling and discussion?

The quotes above characterize what I was going for by posting the poll. I'm glad folks have put in their 2 cents. :) I'd say there is consensus for NHFT to be a year-round thing with no more changing clocks twice a year. I suppose the strong showing for EST reflects that sentiment.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 08, 2007, 02:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 08, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT
NHFT sometimes referred to as Shire Time is 15 minutes ahead of the death star known as Washington, DC.

We have the tactical advantage of 15 minutes ahead of the OverLords.

Plus, what a great conversation starter.  :D

(This is my preference)
I like it. We are very "progressive" here in The Shire. We are always 15 minutes ahead of the feds and our money keeps going up in value compared to the USD.

I like Tom Sawyer's idea. However, if NHFT is EST+15, The Shire would be 45 minutes behind DC during Daylight Stupid Time. I added two more options to the poll, EST+15 and EST+1hr 15min. The latter choice keeps The Shire at least 15 minutes ahead of DC year-round. :)

Sticking with EST year-round solves the clock-changing problem, but it doesn't stick it to the man enough, IMO.

Russell Kanning

I could go either way. We could be behind them sometimes ... we could think of different jokes. :)

eques

During DST, DC is leading the charge of stupid statist tricks.  ;)

eques

I'm not sure which is more stupid, the fact that we "have to" change our clocks based on some power tripper's fiat, or the arguments which arise between people who say "Daylight Savings Time" and "Daylight Saving Time."  (I haven't observed it here, but I've observed it other places.... :P)

error

It's "daylight stupid time" around here. :)

eques

I'm hardly useful when I'm enslaved to a clock... some of my best work is done long after the sun has gone down when I have far fewer distractions tugging at my brain.

error

Quote from: James A. Pyrich on March 08, 2007, 10:57 PM NHFT
I'm hardly useful when I'm enslaved to a clock... some of my best work is done long after the sun has gone down when I have far fewer distractions tugging at my brain.

So stop looking at the clock.

I've done my share of all-night coding marathons. Not so many these days, since I'm old...

Russell Kanning

Quote from: James A. Pyrich on March 08, 2007, 10:46 PM NHFT
the fact that we "have to" change our clocks based on some power tripper's fiat
actually .... we don't have to.

I forgot that the government was doing this change. So I guess some of us could switch to NHFT or the even more relaxed Shire Time really soon. :) Shire time leaks over to Maine and VT some .... in fact it can be observed by anyone who wants to join The Shire. :)

Russell Kanning

my forum profile adjusted by +.25

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: error on March 08, 2007, 01:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on March 08, 2007, 10:52 AM NHFT
One change that would be interesting is making the day start (sunrise?) at 0 and end at around 16, with 16-24 being night.

Some people use a calendar on which the day starts at sunset.

Yeah, Undead Peole

NC2NH

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 09, 2007, 06:35 AM NHFT
my forum profile adjusted by +.25

The option to display 24-hour time is available too. :)

OK, I could go along with EST+15.

EST is still way ahead and keeps getting more votes, but is all but absent from the discussion. ???

Lex

Quote from: Hollywood on March 09, 2007, 09:42 AM NHFT
The option to display 24-hour time is available too. :)

I have pretty much everything set to the 24 hour clock. The only time i ever deal with pm/am nowadays is when I'm speaking with people. Otherwise my computer, all my software, websites, email, my watch, etc. all use 24 hour clock. After almost a year I'm actually starting to think in terms of 24 instead of pm/am and so I have to convert am/pm to 24h to internalize it. In hindsight I'm glad I switched to the 24h clock. Besides it makes me think more because i have to convert the times on a regular basis when i'm talking to people.