• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Free Time

Started by Russell Kanning, April 02, 2006, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Use the government numbers.  Call it FST.

John

So far, I think this clock-changing thing is one of Ben Franklin's worst ideas.

Generally, I like Franklin.  But, even a correct clock is wrong if one keeps changing it.

I blame Mr. Franklin for this.

Now (because of Ben Franklin) governments think they can even CONTROL TIME.

(What my schedule ain't frantic enough?  Give me a F---ing break already.)!

NC2NH

I'm glad to see the forum running on New Hampshire Free Time. Nifty! 8)

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 11, 2007, 10:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on March 11, 2007, 07:29 AM NHFT
It's horribly confusing.
suggestions?

I liked the wording, but having just the time and date is good too. Maybe try the 24-hour format like Lex suggested?

Maybe I'm pushing for too much, too fast. ;)

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 11, 2007, 10:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: error on March 11, 2007, 07:29 AM NHFT
It's horribly confusing.
suggestions?

Do what you will; I'll just change the offset in my own profile so I don't get confused.

Tom Sawyer

I'm lovin' this "shire time"... more time to party in the evenings.

W wants us to get to work early... he's like some kind of pimp... slappin' us around "This all the money you got for me b***h."

NC2NH

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 11, 2007, 11:02 PM NHFT
I'm lovin' this "shire time"... more time to party in the evenings.

Yep, still Sunday in The Shire for another couple of minutes. Monday in DC.

Quote from: John on March 11, 2007, 11:17 AM NHFT
So far, I think this clock-changing thing is one of Ben Franklin's worst ideas.

Generally, I like Franklin.  But, even a correct clock is wrong if one keeps changing it.

I blame Mr. Franklin for this.

Now (because of Ben Franklin) governments think they can even CONTROL TIME.

(What my schedule ain't frantic enough?  Give me a F---ing break already.)!

I agree with you about government-dictated time changing. However, Ben Franklin didn't suggest changing clocks. The blame lies, strangely enough, with golfers in government:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time
Saving daylight was first mentioned in 1784 by Benjamin Franklin in a humorous letter urging Parisians to save money by getting up earlier to use morning sunlight, thereby burning fewer candles in the evening. Franklin did not mention daylight saving time?he did not propose that clock time be changed. His letter was in the spirit of his earlier proverb "Early to bed and early to rise / Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

DST was first proposed in 1907 by William Willett. An avid golfer, he disliked cutting short his round at dusk. The proposal attracted many eminent supporters, including Balfour, Churchill, Lloyd George, and MacDonald. Edward VII also favored DST and had already been using it at Sandringham. However, Prime Minister Asquith opposed the proposal and after many hearings it was narrowly defeated in a Parliament committee vote in 1909. Willett's allies introduced new DST bills every year from 1911 through 1914, to no avail.

DST was first enacted by a national government by Germany during World War I, starting April 30, 1916. The United Kingdom soon followed suit, first observing it on May 21, 1916. On June 17, 1917, Newfoundland became the first North American jurisdiction to adopt DST with the Daylight Saving Act of 1917. On March 19, 1918, the U.S. Congress established DST from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October. The wartime measure, however, proved unpopular among farmers, and Congress repealed it in 1919. Woodrow Wilson, another avid golfer, vetoed the repeal twice but his second veto was overridden.

There's a Real Men of Genius spot in here somewhere. "Mr. Daylight Saving Time Inventor!" :P

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Hollywood on March 11, 2007, 09:45 PM NHFT
I'm glad to see the forum running on New Hampshire Free Time. Nifty! 8)
I liked the wording, but having just the time and date is good too. Maybe try the 24-hour format like Lex suggested?
I have to figure out how to do it.

Nicholas Gilman

I like the time in NHFT in the upper right corner.  It'll catch on when we start using it for events and meetings.

Lloyd Danforth

NC2NH

Quote from: Nicholas Gilman on March 12, 2007, 05:14 PM NHFT
   I like the time in NHFT in the upper right corner.

Now with 24-hour time goodness (thanks Russell). ;D

This has caused a stir, so I posted how to personalize the time display on another thread. NHFT is a voluntary standard, but not on the forum unless you read certain threads. ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Commonly known as: 'Military Time'

Kat Kanning

I changed it, but I guess you can thank Russell if you want.

Russell Kanning

NC2NH

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 13, 2007, 04:59 PM NHFT
I changed it, but I guess you can thank Russell if you want.

Oh. I PM'ed him some PHP code so I thought he made the change. Thank you Kat. :)