• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Free Time

Started by Russell Kanning, April 02, 2006, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

NHST Russell start putting that in your byline on KFP.  People will ask and you can slowly turn them. ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: mvpel on April 03, 2006, 06:54 PM NHFT
I'm not particularly excited about the idea of dawn at 3:30am in the summertime.

If we stuck to DST as it is now, how would we get dawn at 3:30 am?  Dawn does not occur that early during the summer.

Russell Kanning

So how does everyone vote?
.... do you like the term NHST NH standard time?
.... do we like Lloyd's idea of matching Eastern Time in the summer  :icon_motor: :fishing: and then not changing in the winter? :nono:

I kinda like both and can go with it. Other people can join me or not :ahoy: .... it is a free country :plotting: ..... or at least it will be.  :crazy3: :independence:

Lloyd Danforth

I'm going with 'Lloyd Time', at least untill I miss too many important meetings or appointments.

sandm000

But will the trains run on time? >:D

Actually, yes, just as much as they did before congress passed a law about what time it would be.

And MVPel the sun wouldn't come up at 3:30am on NHRT (New Hampshire Real Time) The earliest it would come up is 4:30 am in the summer.  This, of course, is all based on the sunrise time in Concord, when we should be using Laconia or someplace closer to the weighted geographical center of the state (Same area north and south). Basically I think you should set the clocks forward 20mins when you aren't on DST and just leave them be forever after.

Russell Kanning

NHRT has a certain (non-governmental) ring to it.

20 minutes?

Russell Kanning

Franco at an old job I had told me the standard joke from his childhood back in Italy under Mussilini.

"Yes the trains were always on time under facism ..... you just didn't have permission to go anywhere."

Russell Kanning

From that article .... the government keeps changing its mind, so we can do no worse. They are even going to change it again in 2007 after this years Indiana change.

I like the idea of doing our own thing and calling it something without "standard" or "uniform" in the name. :)
I like "real".
Does GMT or UCT change with "daylight savings"? (I can't believe the UK follows our silly stuff) If not we could reference our real time by it .... such as NHRT (GMT -6). Or we could us Internet time BMT? or something else as a reference. To me it makes sense to just us any number that doesn't change. :) And then give it a cool name.

KBCraig

Don't make it something easy like 20 minutes. Go for 22 minutes and 47 seconds. Weed out those who aren't true believers.  ;D

mvpel

Quote from: sandm000 on April 04, 2006, 11:56 AM NHFTAnd MVPel the sun wouldn't come up at 3:30am on NHRT (New Hampshire Real Time) The earliest it would come up is 4:30 am in the summer.
Civil twilight begins on June 1, 2006 at 4:34am Eastern Daylight Time in Concord.

Without DST, that time would be 3:34am, with sunrise at 4:09am.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_pap.pl

Sunset on June 1, 2006 in Concord will be 8:30pm, which would be 7:30pm without DST.

sandm000

Quote from: russellkanning on April 04, 2006, 12:23 PM NHFT
NHRT has a certain (non-governmental) ring to it.

20 minutes?

The 20 minute number is based on the average sun rise of 5:39 am, so you could add 21minutes if you wanted. And where did the 5:39 am come from? I have an XLS spreadsheet you can look at if you want, but that is 5:39 without DST mucking about in the sunrise (in concord). So I arbitrarily decided on a 6:00am sunrise average, so add ~20mins to the clocks.

Further MVPel you said "I'm not particularly excited about the idea of dawn at 3:30am in the summertime." Emphasis mine.  Dawn and civil twilight are not the same thing.  Twilight is the time when the sun has not crested the horizon and light is visible, and dawn is the time when the sun crests the horizon.

In addition to which I am suggesting adding 20 mins which would make Dawn on June 1, 2006 4:30 am which is when your civil twilight begins.

If you want to see the spreadsheet just let me know.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on April 04, 2006, 01:11 PM NHFT
Don't make it something easy like 20 minutes. Go for 22 minutes and 47 seconds. Weed out those who aren't true believers.  ;D
:violent5: :bow:
I was dying from laughter over that one.

KBCraig

I haven't heard the term "civil twilight". In the military, it was BMNT and EENT: beginning morning nautical twilight and ending evening nautical twilight. Same thing, though. It was light enough to see and work, which is not the same as sunset and sunrise.

Kevin

sandm000

Quote from: KBCraig on April 04, 2006, 01:11 PM NHFT

You can go ahead and add 22min and 47sec if you want. Me, I'll just say I'll be at the bar around 10 or around 10:30. I don't think I ever in my life said I will be there at exactly 10:13 and 12 seconds, If I am late, you must consider me to be dead or abandoned in a ditch somewhere, and
hey don't mock my sincere calculations!
I'mserious.
20 minutes is a scientifically easy number for we in the know to use, while at the same time being simple enough for those euphamistically refered to as 'Sheeple' to hear, understand, and obey.

burnthebeautiful

I don't like it when the sun goes down early, I support daylight savings all year round. I also support just not having a government mandated time.