• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Free Time

Started by Russell Kanning, April 02, 2006, 07:49 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpel

Quote from: sandm000 on April 04, 2006, 01:36 PM NHFTFurther MVPel you said "I'm not particularly excited about the idea of dawn at 3:30am in the summertime." Emphasis mine.  Dawn and civil twilight are not the same thing.  Twilight is the time when the sun has not crested the horizon and light is visible, and dawn is the time when the sun crests the horizon.
The Merriam-Webster definition for dawn as an intransitive verb is:

1 : to begin to grow light as the sun rises

... and the noun is defined as:

1 : the first appearance of light in the morning followed by sunrise

That's the sense in which I was using the word.

Main Entry: pe?dan?tic
Pronunciation: pi-'dan-tik
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or being a pedant
2 : narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned
3 : UNIMAGINATIVE, PEDESTRIAN
- pe?dan?ti?cal?ly /-'dan-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Pat McCotter

Quote from: KBCraig on April 04, 2006, 01:41 PM NHFT
I haven't heard the term "civil twilight". In the military, it was BMNT and EENT: beginning morning nautical twilight and ending evening nautical twilight. Same thing, though. It was light enough to see and work, which is not the same as sunset and sunrise.

Kevin

When I was in the military I knew when it was morning and night by the phrases "Get your ass outta that rack, now!" and "Lights out!"

Lloyd Danforth

I remember at times when the first seemed to follow the second almost immediately ;D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on April 04, 2006, 02:48 PM NHFT
I don't like it when the sun goes down early, I support daylight savings all year round. I also support just not having a government mandated time.

Yea I like it. I will start NH time right now with no change to our clocks. I think it is (UTC -4). :)
So what should we call it? Or do we all have our favorite names?

sandm000

I still support New Hampshire Real Time or what about Real Time Act, of course without any actual act having been passed.

Russell Kanning

I am leaning towards that one too.

Dreepa

I like NHRT

How about NHFT?

NH FREE TIME

Ron Helwig

Why not just use GMT/UTC? They're just numbers.

Why does "midnight" have to be 0? Why does noon have to be 12? Why can't noon be 16?

I think timezones are just as stupid as daylight manipulation time.

Russell Kanning

I am tempted to just use UTC for the exact same reasons as you.
I just think it would be fun for us to have our own way of doing stuff. :)

sandm000

It would be the 'IN' thing to do to say that it's 3:20pm New Hampshire Real Time, people will look at their watches and be slightly cornfused.  They may even say,"It's more tomfoolery from those FSPers (read: Fispers)"

I really just needed an excuse to use the word 'Tomfoolery'.

burnthebeautiful

How about "Freedom Time" ?

Russell Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

I take it you have gone for the 47 second advance

Russell Kanning

Only the astute notice.....the rest live in the past.

Lloyd Danforth