• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Boycott "Margaritas Management Group" Restaurants?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 07, 2006, 12:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

I can easily boycott Margaritas in Keene.
Armadillos carries our papers.
They are not the same kind of restaurants, but it will do the trick. You can see one from the other .... across the street.
Armadillos has a college hangout atmosphere and has little tables with stools.

d_goddard

Quote from: russellkanning on April 07, 2006, 03:21 PM NHFT
Armadillos has a college hangout atmosphere and has little tables with stools.
Hey that actually sounds pretty cool.... wish I lived closer to Keene... and had truckloads of free time to hangout in bars, like when I was in College! :D

Dave Ridley

Lloyd wrote:

<<I say boycott them, let the stockholders and board know why and continue as long as he is still manager.>>

Well that's what you can do if you wish but to me that is sort of attacking a person when, again, the most effective freedom lover only attacks deeds and systems.

Dave Ridley

Just got a nice note back from Mr. Joyce, more on that later.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 07, 2006, 06:15 PM NHFT
Lloyd wrote:

<<I say boycott them, let the stockholders and board know why and continue as long as he is still manager.>>

Well that's what you can do if you wish but to me that is sort of attacking a person when, again, the most effective freedom lover only attacks deeds and systems.

Deeds don't exist outside of people

However, I don't really care if we go after this guy or his company.

Incrementalist

Quote from: Jon Maltz on April 07, 2006, 10:17 AM NHFT
These people aren't bad, but Mr. Joyce is severely misguided.  Any boycott should be positive in nature, and not nasty.  It should end as soon as they ban smoking on their own.
If I'm not mistaken the Margaritas chain already bans smoking on their own.

Nash

I like Margaritas.  Why do people want to boycott them?

KBCraig

Quote from: Incrementalist on April 13, 2006, 10:45 PM NHFT
These people aren't bad, but Mr. Joyce is severely misguided.  Any boycott should be positive in nature, and not nasty.  It should end as soon as they ban smoking on their own.

Not according to every news article about it.

The owner is pushing for a state ban, because he's afraid to do it on his own.

KBCraig

Quote from: Nash on April 13, 2006, 10:55 PM NHFT
I like Margaritas.  Why do people want to boycott them?

Because they want the state to ban smoking at their competitors' restaurants.

Nash

Smoking is a vice of the addicted and the uneducated.  As society makes it more and more out of "style" to be a smoker, then people will naturally move away from it.  It will be (and is) a generational issue that will change as the generations change.  Remember the old movies when pretty sexy women would provocatively take a drag on their cigs?  And the macho-man Marlboro man riding his horse.  It's that between-the-lines sexual inuendo that was attractive.

I say smoking will take care of itself.  People will stop when they've decided to or when they've decided to get help (if addicted).  Some may need to wait for some type of life event like seeing a loved one suffer through a lung cancer death.  Others will stop when they see that it's not cool anymore--which is the opposite reason they started in the first place--to be cool.

Let the restaurants ban smoking on their own without any new laws.  People will vote with their feet.

Lloyd Danforth

dawn

Isn't Keene already smoke free? So boycotting the Keene Margarita's is not nearly effective as the others, IMHO. But I'm still going to do it - I have already been boycotting them since I didn't like the food very much and would prefer to spend my time money somewhere I really enjoy.

Incrementalist

Quote from: KBCraig on April 13, 2006, 11:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Incrementalist on April 13, 2006, 10:45 PM NHFT

Not according to every news article about it.

The owner is pushing for a state ban, because he's afraid to do it on his own.
Perhaps it's just the Keene branch.  I was in that part of the state touring with one of my 04 candidates and we ate at Margaritas, which didn't allow smoking.  Though doesn't Keene itself have a smoking ban?  That might be it.

Incrementalist

Quote from: Nash on April 14, 2006, 10:02 AM NHFT
Let the restaurants ban smoking on their own without any new laws.  People will vote with their feet.
Just so everybody knows, the pro-smoking-ban position is that second hand smoke affects the workers.  That's the question at the center of the public discourse on this issue.