• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Boycott "Margaritas Management Group" Restaurants?

Started by FTL_Ian, April 07, 2006, 12:10 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

From WMUR:
QuoteShawn Joyce, president of Margaritas Management Group Inc., which owns seven restaurants in New Hampshire, has said most restaurant operators would prefer a statewide ban rather than being forced to enact their own.

Someone suggested boycotting MMG Inc restaurants, and FTL talked about you guys doing it so perhaps we should explore this.  We think this is quite an interesting idea, and could result in media attention.

The seven "Maragaritas" restaurants are all around the state, and this would make for a great multi-regional protest/outreach.  Manwich suggested signs like "MMG Inc Hates Freedom!".  Perhaps each local group could patronize the mexican restaurant competition.  This appears to be the competition in Keene, anyone been?

Armadillo's Burritos
82 Main St, Keene, NH
(603) 358-3700

What do you guys think about a pro-Liberty boycott?

Dreepa

I love the idea of pro liberty boycott.  I boycott many things with my dollars.
Maybe we should also write letter and call MMG.  If we could get 50-100 letters/emails/calls that might make them shake up a little.

Dave Ridley

Well here's the person to complain to if you want to give Margarita's a mouthful and tell them they've lost your business:

From Boston Globe:

"Shawn Joyce, president of Margaritas Management Group Inc., which owns seven restaurants in New Hampshire, has said most restaurant operators would prefer a statewide ban rather than being forced to enact their own."

Dave Ridley

<< Armadillo's Burritos
82 Main St, Keene, NH
(603) 358-3700>>

I've talked to the owner a while back and he seemed fairly pro freedom for some reason.

FTL_Ian

I read your other post Dada, and you make a good point.  A public boycott may just bring them extra publicity.  Perhaps people should just call Mr. Joyce and let him know you're not going patronize Margaritas until he publicly recants his cowardly statement?

JonM

Concord
1 Bicentennial Sq
(603) 224-2821

Keene
77 Main St
(603) 357-4492

Lebanon
18 Centerra Pky
(603) 643-8800

Manchester
1037 Elm St
(603) 647-7717

Nashua
1 Nashua Dr
(603) 883-0996

Portsmouth
775 Lafayette Rd
(603) 431-5828

Salem
1 Keewaydin Dr
(603) 893-0110

Main Office
200 Griffin Rd, Suite 1
Portsmouth, NH, 03801
(603) 430-8905

email: webmail@margs.com

On every full moon they hold a party and donate 5% of their gross lounge sales to local charities.  http://www.margs.com/fullmoon.htm  The next one is on April 13th.

These people aren't bad, but Mr. Joyce is severely misguided.  Any boycott should be positive in nature, and not nasty.  It should end as soon as they ban smoking on their own.

Dreepa

Quote from: Jon Maltz on April 07, 2006, 10:17 AM NHFT
These people aren't bad, but Mr. Joyce is severely misguided.  

Having the gov't do you dirty work is bad.  This guy is a coward.

Dave Ridley

Sending this to them:

webmail@margs.com

Msg. for Shawn Joyce

Mr. Joyce I'm a Keene resident and and restaurant-goer....who was saddened by your attempts to force a smoke ban on the entire state, especially considering all the smoke that flies around in your restaurants.    It's morally wrong for you to try and impose your will into upon someone else's property.

I am boycotting your restaurants for now and urging my friends to do the same.  But I look forward to the day when you have banned smoking on your own property and stopped attacking other people's property.  When that day comes, I will be honored to patronize your business. 

JonM

Quote from: Dreepa on April 07, 2006, 10:19 AM NHFT

Yes, and yes.  But if he can change his mind, then he won't be.  We shouldn't burn bridges that don't need to be burned.

Dave Ridley

Ya Ian i think you're on track, we just need to email and/or call the head honcho....but not to back him into a corner or humiliate him; i hope my letter sets the right kind of tone.

remember the gandhi-ism:  We must avoid being against individuals and concentrate on being against bad deeds and bad systems.  

Dreepa

Quote from: Jon Maltz on April 07, 2006, 10:34 AM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on April 07, 2006, 10:19 AM NHFT

Yes, and yes.  But if he can change his mind, then he won't be.  We shouldn't burn bridges that don't need to be burned.
Ok if he comes out and says that the law is bad and the companies should change on their own.

But I won't hold my breath.

JonM

If we put the proper type of pressure on him, he should change the policy.  The question will be if he still calls for a statewide ban after that.

Lloyd Danforth

He can ban smoking in the restaurants he runs or not. He can recant.  He still is of the belief that government should effect the rights of a whole lot of people to solve his whim.  I say boycott them, let the stockholders and board know why and continue as long as he is still manager.

JonM

Dreepa

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 07, 2006, 11:32 AM NHFT
He can ban smoking in the restaurants he runs or not. He can recant.  He still is of the belief that government should effect the rights of a whole lot of people to solve his whim.  I say boycott them, let the stockholders and board know why and continue as long as he is still manager.
exactly