• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Private mail company

Started by vanguardist, April 10, 2006, 09:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Recumbent ReCycler

Lloyd has a good point.  I used to work as a courier, delivering packages between Portsmouth and Boston.  It's difficult enough when you have a regular route, but if your customer base is scattered and sporadic, it would not be very cost effective unless the customers were willing to pay a hefty price for the service.  One issue that really hurt the business that I worked for was the high cost of gas.

PowerPenguin

Good idea. This kind of thing went on in small rural and small town cities all the time back in the day.

Lloyd Danforth

The mail got to those small towns sometimes as seldom as once a month and was handled as a part time job, by the owner of the one store that everybody had to go to.
This, and sometimes, twice a day delivery available in cities was possible at a reasonable price, only, because of the shear volume of first class mail, the only way to communicate before telephones, other than courier and telegraph.

Russell Kanning

It will be good to have Lloyd spreading the news about the operation to everybody ..... and how it cannot work.

Lloyd Danforth

Actually, I have several letter here to be picked up ;D

Russell Kanning

I think our rates are a little high for your street......hazard pay.

Tom Sawyer

Hey be nice to Lloyd he is the last surviving Pony Express rider. ;)

Kat Kanning

Trying hard to imagine Lloyd on a horse...failing.

Lloyd Danforth