• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Public or Stealth?

Started by Bruehound, April 12, 2006, 02:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Anarchist's can follow the Kanning/Dillon family's example!
Minarchists can follow the Loveless family's example!

Dreepa

Quote from: jgmaynard on April 13, 2006, 03:35 PM NHFT
My thought would be to play it up outside of NH, through libertarian channels if he has a name (to increase the # of people who will tip ove rthe edge and join/move), but for him to play that quietly amongst his neighbors once he gets here (but don't hide it either). Then, he should spend the 2 required years before he could run getting to know his neighbors, volunteering, etc., then he stands a good chance of getting in.

JM
This sounds like a smart plan.

Tunga

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 12, 2006, 11:23 PM NHFT
Quote from: mvpel on April 12, 2006, 08:41 PM NHFT
If you come in and become a good neighbor, and a good citizen, that's really the key, not the particulars of when and why you joined us here in the state.

Being a good neighbor, I agree with 100%.

Being a good citizen?  I can't figure out why anyone would want to be a citizen.  Can someone explain it?

It's like mutal aid, a social compact. Written down so as to minimise misunderstandings. Since we are limited to the Earth, and nobody has come up with an effective way to stop people from reproducing (Except War). We need a framework that offers a code of justice. That way, if one of your not so good neigbors decides to borrow your girlfriend without her permission you're impowered by this moral imperitive to act on her behalf for her benefit. Without going to jail for your actions.

d_goddard

Bruehound,

I suggest this hypothetical friend of yours contact the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance:
http://nhliberty.org
They are quite politically savvy and have proven themselves to be effective.

Also, your friend should be aware that different cities and towns in NH have distinctly different leanings. Keene, Concord, and Nashua are infamously "liberal" (in the modern, statist sense); pretty much everywhere else is Red (as in voting pattern).

Candidates can run under multiple parties here in NH, for example your friend can run as an "R+L" (Republican plus Libertarian), and as such reap the benefits of those who vote straight-ticket for either party. The NH House Republican Alliance leans Libertarian compared to most Republicans nationwide, though not as far as the Republican Liberty Caucus of NH would like.

In short, tell your friend to get his butt out here NOW, because some of us really do appreciate good Representation, and are eager to help out with campaigns of pro-Liberty candidates.

Lastly, I'd also suggest that your friend not pay attention to anyone on the NHFree forum who starts attacking him for no good reason. I stopped visiting this site for several months (to the relief of some, I hope) because of the rather unconstructive tone.

dawn

Once you get involved in politics, as in running for office, some big government tax and spend types may very well use the FSP against you. If you are publicly known on the FSP forums by your real name, they will use whatever they can against you and your loved ones. And they don't let the truth get in their way either. Winchester, where I live, was filled with dirty negative campaigning for our March elections. They're scared to death that enough scrupulous peope might actually get elected to office to bring efficiency and common sense to the local political process.

Most people that they peddle their propaganda to just blindly believe what they are told. Unfortunately, it seems that many people have something to gain (or perhaps something to hide) by being in political office and are really not at all interested in the common good - only what's good for them and theirs.

If you're not running for office, no one really seems to care much is you're FSP (at least in my limited experience).

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Dreepa on April 13, 2006, 01:26 PM NHFT
I think that the word citizen is maybe being used as 'neighbor' in that sense.  Maybe a citizen of the town.  I think that Russell is a good citizen of his town. There are less pot holes in Keene now.

Check your definitions.  Words are powerful:

citizen:  a native or naturalized person who owes allegiance to a government and is entitled to protection from it  (Websters)

Again, I don't think it's rude to ask why someone would want protection from the government.  Why? The supreme court has ruled over and over again that the govt has no obligation to protect.

KBCraig

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 15, 2006, 12:27 AM NHFT

citizen:  a native or naturalized person who owes allegiance to a government and is entitled to protection from it  (Websters)

You stopped quoting too soon. My Websters says:

Main Entry: cit?i?zen
Pronunciation: 'si-t&-z&n also -s&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English citizein, from Anglo-French citezein, alteration of Old French citeien, from cit? city
1 : an inhabitant of a city or town; especially : one entitled to the rights and privileges of a freeman
2 a : a member of a state b : a native or naturalized person who owes allegiance to a government and is entitled to protection from it
3 : a civilian as distinguished from a specialized servant of the state

The word does not always mean that someone owes allegiance to a state.

Kevin

FTL_Ian

The point is, that is what it means, regardless of the simpler definitions.  Whereas this one is simple, period:

QuoteMain Entry: 1neigh?bor
Pronunciation: 'nA-b&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English nEahgebur (akin to Old High German nAhgibur); akin to Old English nEah near and Old English gebur dweller -- more at NIGH, BOOR
1 : one living or located near another
2 : FELLOWMAN

Words are powerful, words are tools.  I'd prefer to be a good neighbor.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 15, 2006, 12:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on April 13, 2006, 01:26 PM NHFT
I think that the word citizen is maybe being used as 'neighbor' in that sense.  Maybe a citizen of the town.  I think that Russell is a good citizen of his town. There are less pot holes in Keene now.

Again, I don't think it's rude to ask why someone would want protection from the government.  Why? The supreme court has ruled over and over again that the govt has no obligation to protect.

Hmmm... "protection from the government" I wonder what that means.

FTL_Ian

Sorry, "protection services from the government" would be better.

Russell Kanning

I could use some of that protection from the government. They keep sending me bills.

d_goddard

Quote from: russellkanning on April 15, 2006, 03:07 PM NHFT
I could use some of that protection from the government. They keep sending me bills.
You're being pretty darn generous, Russell.
They're being downright damnably rude to you, and to Kat too.
And you know how much we freedom-loving folks disapprove of rudeness!   :pissedoff: