• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Debate: Voluntaryist society vs. Libertarian society

Started by Kat Kanning, February 07, 2005, 02:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

wdg3rd

Quote from: intergraph19 on February 21, 2005, 01:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on February 21, 2005, 09:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: intergraph19 on February 21, 2005, 04:57 AM NHFT
A good example is the old west really.
Not to take away from most of what you were saying, but I think that the violence and mayhem in the old west is mostly exaggerated and taught to us from movies. I think it was more like Warren's quote about Tonopah NV. It is still very much that way in small backwoods places out west - The people are free and safe, because the bad guys are worried about being shot by the peaceful citizens. :)

I realize a great deal was exagerated, but there is a kernal of truth to it as well.  There were some problems with gangs running some areas for a time.  Many people were willing to fight, but there were those who were appeazers as well, it's part of human nature, just look at France.
THere was less violence among private citizens in the Western states and territories than there was in the eastern cities.  Note that the reason we can remember the names of the major criminals in the West is that there were relatively few of them around for long.

intergraph19

Quote from: wdg3rd on March 01, 2005, 02:42 PM NHFT

THere was less violence among private citizens in the Western states and territories than there was in the eastern cities.  Note that the reason we can remember the names of the major criminals in the West is that there were relatively few of them around for long.

The East of that time period and the west can't really be compared because the population difference was immence, not to mention general situation.

Russell Kanning

Well lets make that "general situation" in NH then :D
Since we have less crime and fewer people in NH, let the outsiders point to that as an excuse for their cities.....we can just enjoy