• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Speaking of the price of gas

Started by Pat K, April 22, 2006, 01:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat K

It's 3.15 a gallon here for reg. today.

Kat Kanning

aries

Lloyd Danforth

AlanM

Pat K

Quote from: AlanM on April 22, 2006, 10:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on April 22, 2006, 01:45 PM NHFT
It's 3.15 a gallon here for reg. today.

Any signs of snow?  ;D

Gee Alan is a funny guy.
The answer is no I have banished Snow from the Isle of Long for a while.

PowerPenguin

Seattle: Regular is 2.83 fools! :D Socal is probably 3.03 it's nearly always 20 cents/gal more than here.

KBCraig

Regular is $2.789-2.819 here in the ArkLaTex, but we don't have specially blended fuel like the metro areas do.

Pat K

Russell Kanning

dead_hobbit

2.899 here - but that's for 92 octane gas, which gives me ~70 miles to the gallon on my Helix. On "standard" gas, I only get 59 mpg :P

KBCraig

Quote from: dead_hobbit on April 24, 2006, 01:36 AM NHFT
2.899 here - but that's for 92 octane gas, which gives me ~70 miles to the gallon on my Helix. On "standard" gas, I only get 59 mpg :P

Hey, speaking of...

When you plan your route, why not announce it? There might be people who can give you a place to crash, a shower, a meal, even a few bucks for gas. I would, if you were passing through the Texarkana area on I-30.

Kevin

aries

Quote from: dead_hobbit on April 24, 2006, 01:36 AM NHFT
I want to try premium gas once and see if I get better than average mileage.

I can squeeze 300 miles out of my Taurus' 12ish gallon tank, but I think I could get even more if I filled up at half tank, since the gas burns much more quickly at the end. It's rated at 17MPG, but I have adjusted my driving habits a little and I am getting better mileage.

Maybe a higher octane will justify the cost. I can afford a tank of it, and I'll do the math to see if the extra $2.40 or so per fill-up is worth it.

intergraph19

The gas prices are getting pretty bad, but I get about 30mpg in the little truck I drive, so I'm happy.

Lloyd Danforth

While we were moving Evan Nappen into his house last summer, there was a guy who wrote a book on saving gas.  I don't remember his name or website if he had one, but, one of his suggestions was keeping a small amount of gas ( 1/4 tank ) in your tank and not using the extra horsepower to haul the gas around.
You're probably not burning the gas more quickly at the end, it is probably a function of your gauge.