• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shampoo Revolt!!!!

Started by Kat Kanning, February 07, 2005, 04:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We are now safe from the rogue shampooers

GT

I don't imagine Shampoo Assistants are making the big $$$, but now they will need to pay for a 300 hour course and apprenticeship. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

313-A:13-a Qualifications; Shampoo Assistants. In order to be certified as a shampoo assistant by the board, a person shall:
I. Be at least 16 years of age or have successfully completed the eighth grade or equivalent.
II. Have completed either 300 hours in a barbering or cosmetology school or a shampooing program acceptable to the board.
III. Have completed a shampooing program as an apprentice in a shop.
IV. Pay a fee as established by the board.

AlanM

Quote from: GDouglas on February 10, 2005, 10:35 AM NHFT
I don't imagine Shampoo Assistants are making the big $$$, but now they will need to pay for a 300 hour course and apprenticeship. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

313-A:13-a Qualifications; Shampoo Assistants. In order to be certified as a shampoo assistant by the board, a person shall:
I. Be at least 16 years of age or have successfully completed the eighth grade or equivalent.
II. Have completed either 300 hours in a barbering or cosmetology school or a shampooing program acceptable to the board.
III. Have completed a shampooing program as an apprentice in a shop.
IV. Pay a fee as established by the board.

Pay a fee.  No doubt a high one.

intergraph19

This amendment isn't quite what you think it is.  It actually loosens the restrictions, if you can believe it.  The way the original law is written, it's illegal to give a shampoo in a shop if you aren't a licensed barber or cosmetologist.  What this amendment does is allows shops to employ people who are in training to be a barber or cosmetologist.  This is a law set in place (If I remember the hearing right) by the board of hair people or whatnot in the first place to limit competition.  They are trying to loosen the restrictions on their own law.  I think they should just exempt shampooer myself, but who am I?

FSPinNY

Graduate level: Shampoo 480 - the hows and whys of "lather, rinse and repeat" - 100 hours.? Prerequisite: Shampoo 101 "How to wet the head" - 150 hours and Shampoo 102 "How to keep shampoo out of the customer's eyes" - 150 hours.? ?::)

Kat Kanning

I like the advanced course:  How to do that sexy kneading thing on the scalp

FSPinNY

Quote from: katdillon on February 10, 2005, 03:18 PM NHFT
I like the advanced course:? How to do that sexy kneading thing on the scalp

Sorry, any 'sexy kneading' is strictly forbidded and could result in loss of license.

Kat Kanning

Well heck, what's the point, then?

Russell Kanning

Isn't it crazy that they threw out the bill HB65 that would get rid of the laws and instead just loosened the restrictions....are these legislators serious???

KBCraig

Just to revive this thread, here's an article from our friend John Stossel, as found in the April 10 Sunday News (Union Leader):

http://unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=53135

My favorite line comes near the end of the article:

"Usually, the established businesses get away with using licensing boards and "safety" regulations to crush competitors. That's unfair. And if the question is who's protecting the public, it seems to me Taalib-Din Uqdah has done much more than the bureaucrats who wanted him to spend 125 hours studying shampooing."

Kevin

Pat K

Hey they are only looking out for you, somebody might forget to rinse and repeat.

John

Thanks Kevin.  I was going to post/link that column.  Good find.

Notice that they don't even do the "dangerous" stuff?

I feel so much safer now . . . well, now that the IFJ helped win this one.

ravelkinbow

I'm so glad to see that our government officials have the world working so well that they can spend their time protecting my hair from unscrupulous shampooers that would leave my hair dull and lifeless.  Thanks goodness for our elected officials whatever would we do without their diligence!   :o

LiveFreeOrDie

Quote from: KBCraig on April 10, 2005, 07:23 AM NHFT
Just to revive this thread, here's an article from our friend John Stossel, as found in the April 10 Sunday News (Union Leader):

http://unionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=53135

I saw that the other day.  It seemed very familiar to me, so I checked his book, Give Me a Break (published 2/04) and sure enough, it was in there.  I don't know, maybe he re-wrote or re-worded it a bit last week, but it was an old piece of his.  I'm glad it was re-published to coincide with this bill, though.

Dreepa

Quote from: Pat K on April 10, 2005, 07:43 PM NHFT
Hey they are only looking out for you, somebody might forget to rinse and repeat.
You guys are missing the point.  If you rinse, lather repeat.  Rinse, lather repeat.Rinse, lather repeat ... when do you stop?  That is why you need to be regulated by the state.