• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

ISO Porc Webhosting services

Started by sandm000, April 29, 2006, 04:38 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

sandm000

I do not currently have one but, I'm sure I can obtain one.
But I need information on secure hosting, and people I can pay to build a shopping cart for me, as I don't have any knowledge of what language is used to program those things

Zork

Look around, I belive some webhosts provide plans with pre-built carts where you just enter the data into the provided framework

sandm000

Quote from: Zork on May 02, 2006, 03:04 PM NHFT
Look around, I belive some webhosts provide plans with pre-built carts where you just enter the data into the provided framework
OK thanks for the advice, but I wanna keep this money 'in the family' as it were.

president

As a troll, I could help with the hosting part....I am using csoft.net.

I could do content creation, but that is not really my thing. I could set you up with a wiki, and you could learn to play with that so you can manage content yourself, or have someone else do it for you....

IMO, the easiest, fastest way(same day) to do the shopping cart stuff is to just use someone elses secure service(another $20 a month), and embed it in your site. You can always make the time/money investment in your own secure shopping cart system when you know you have a steady stream of some customers.

Maybe Lex would be willing to help, and we can start a hosting business....so it would be a Porc/Fisher Webhosting service.

Where is Lloyd Danforth?
I need you to make a bunch of little wood toys, so I we sell them on the internet, and can get money. I'm pretty sure I know the group of people to market to.

sandm000

Thank you everyone for all the help.
Brian

jgmaynard

I do webdesign, but not hosting. Really, to me, I'd rather have someone else deal with the headaches of hosting and deal with design. I think you'll find I have a unique quality that most web designers do not offer.  :)

JM

JonM

My sister is transitioning her store to use a Miva shopping cart.  There's LOTS of 3rd party add on features for that cart.  You can find hosts that rent the cart as part of the hosting service.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on May 01, 2006, 08:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on May 01, 2006, 08:07 PM NHFT
I might have to do my next one with the Sethmeister. :)
Maybe he could buy an ad with the KFP?
Hey ... that is exactly what we are doing. I will set up a couple of things with Seth and I can let you know how it is going. :)

Dreepa

Quote from: russellkanning on May 08, 2006, 03:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on May 01, 2006, 08:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on May 01, 2006, 08:07 PM NHFT
I might have to do my next one with the Sethmeister. :)
Maybe he could buy an ad with the KFP?
Hey ... that is exactly what we are doing. I will set up a couple of things with Seth and I can let you know how it is going. :)
8)

RichDPhoto

If someone is willing to invest in the hardware and bandwidth, I have UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD sysadmin and software engineering skills I can bring to the table.

AlanM

Quote from: RichDPhoto on May 09, 2006, 11:11 AM NHFT
If someone is willing to invest in the hardware and bandwidth, I have UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD sysadmin and software engineering skills I can bring to the table.

What would this cost to set up?

Dreepa

Quote from: AlanM on May 09, 2006, 11:13 AM NHFT

I was just thinking the same thing.

This should be an easy business to start... the hard part is the marketing.

Russell Kanning

In our area, print advertising is cheap .... in the Keene Free Press.

president

Quote from: Dreepa on May 09, 2006, 11:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on May 09, 2006, 11:13 AM NHFT

I was just thinking the same thing.

This should be an easy business to start... the hard part is the marketing.
I'm game. We can start today. I use csoft.net. $40 bucks a month for an account that allows reselling:

http://csoft.net/corporate-vhost.html

Once you get a few customers you can move to a dedicated server...maybe co-lo something.....

RichDPhoto

The hardware involved would be around $4000- or less.  

At least one computer, a P4 class processor and at least 2 gigs of RAM, as much hard drive space as can be stuffed into it.  

A high-end broadband connection, preferably T1 class or better.  This is the killer - these tend to be expensive, with fairly high monthly overhead.  The connection speed needs to symmetrical or more upload BW than download, which is the exact opposite of what you get with cable or DSL feeds, which are optimized for download bandwidth, since they tend to feed the client end, rather than the server end.  This will also almost always be the bottleneck, since upstream feeds that can max out the 100MB/s or 1GB/s speeds of ethernet tend to be very expensive to maintain, often requiring dedicated wiring.  I don't know what's available from the local telecoms -- in Utah the choices were basically QWorst (err ... QWest) or Electric Lightwave.