• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

CM: Cars drive neighbors apart

Started by Pat McCotter, May 03, 2006, 03:03 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

When I lived in LA, I had to remove several big orange tow stickers from my car that was in my driveway after cops would put them on it.  I was told that it was an eyesore.  I saw it as a potentially nice car.  I ended up having to sell it for a big loss.  Some people just don't appreciate classic cars.  It was a 71 Mercury cougar with a rare factory 460.  If I had the time to finish the body work, it would have been a pretty nice looking car.
I wouldn't mind living next to a auto yard.  Daniels should just plant some bushes or trees or put up a fence if he has a problem with the view of a neighbor's property.

Pat McCotter

More research on this. I found the May 2, 2005 Selectmen's meeting minutes.

Deerfield Selectmen?s Meeting (PDF File)
May 2, 2005
Pages 4-6

Scheduled Appointment
Guy Daniels
The issue of the Ivan Nelson property, and the junk scattered about it, brought Mr. Daniels back before the Board of Selectmen. Mr. Daniels explained that his property is up for sale. After six years of trying to be patient, and having tried everything to correct the situation, moving away seems to be the only solution.

Mr. Daniels has found many wonderful things about Deerfield but he doesn't want to live next to a
junkyard. There are things that could be done which might enhance the possibility of Mr. Daniels selling
his home. A percentage of the vehicles could be moved back so that they are not visible. The barn was
built to put some vehicles in. Some vehicles are resold. Another idea would be an 8 foot fence between
the properties.

To Mr. Daniels, Mr. Nelson has not respected anything the Town has asked for and only added vehicles to
the 200 vehicles he already has. Mr. Daniels did understand the Town has applied some pressure, on Mr.
Nelson, to remove the junk from the 65 acres. At this point in time, Mr. Daniel's frustration level is high
and he just wants to sell his home and go in peace.

Chairman Alexander said the Town placed an article in the Warrant this year to raise funds for costs
associated with removing vehicles. Mr. Daniels didn't believe Mr. Nelson wanted the vehicles removed.
Selectman Robertson added that the Board could get a Court paper but the funds would be needed to back up the action to be taken. The Selectmen attempted to get the funding but he article before Town Meeting did not pass.

Mr. Daniels appreciated the efforts the Board of Selectmen made towards rectifying the issue.
He wondered if there was anything else that could be done such as not renewing the license Mr. Nelson
holds.

Selectman Robertson indicated the Code Enforcement Officer, Rick Pelletier, is aware of licensing
requirements and this has been discussed with Town Counsel. Chairman Alexander added that the State
asks the Town if the individual meets the criteria in the Deerfield Zoning Ordinances.

Mr. Daniels favored not renewing Mr. Nelson's license because for every piece of junk removed more
comes in. In Mr. Daniels opinion, Mr. Nelson is less than cooperative and tells the Board one thing and
does something else. Mr. Nelson was allowed a certain number of vehicles and that number has been
exceeded which means the license should be revoked.

Mr. Daniels did not understand how Mr. Nelson could make a living when considering for every 200
vehicles taken in he sells 50. Depreciation would be factored in as well.

Because Mr. Daniels is divorcing himself from this matter, his last request is to have the Town contact Mr.
Nelson and ask him to move some of the vehicles. Mr. Daniels hoped the Town would revoke the license
next year. Chairman Alexander reminded Mr. Daniels the State issues the license. Mr. Daniels agreed but
pointed out those at the local level give a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Selectman Stone suggested having the State come in and inspect the property for oil spillage and
contamination. This was done in one other case. Chairman Alexander thought it was worth the effort to
look into this.

Selectman Robertson mentioned speaking with Rick Pelletier today on the same concerns as were being
discussed. Chairman Alexander said the permit cannot be revoked by the Town and everyone is not asleep
at the wheel either but the end result may not occur until Mr. Daniels has left Deerfield.

Mr. Daniels was sure the matter would not be resolved until after he was gone but appreciated the Board's
efforts. He pointed out the Board has spent a lot of time on this and Mr. Daniels has come before the
Board on several occasions. He wanted it clear this was not being taken out on the Board of Selectmen.
The whole problem has been bad and gotten worse over the years. While Mr. Daniels claims to be more
vocal than others, his neighbors have concerns about water quality and the depreciation of their homes due to the Nelson property.

Having given up, Mr. Daniels considers Mr. Nelson as having won. He invited the Selectmen to come to
his home and count the vehicles. It is Mr. Daniels hope something could be done within the next 30 to
60 days.

Selectman Barry reiterated the Town is working on this. Mr. Daniels stated he realized that but is still
concerned. Chairman Alexander added that Mr. Pelletier is equally as frustrated with the situation because
slips are turned in for junk vehicles but more vehicles enter the property.
Selectman Stone thought there might be a way to hide the vehicles from view. Mr. Daniels offered to erect
a fence if the Town supplied the raw materials. Selectman Barry suggested Mr. Daniels call Mr. Pelletier
directly.

Mr. Daniels thanked the Board for their time.

An appointment will be scheduled next week for Rick Pelletier, Code Enforcement Officer, concerning
several code violations.

Chairman Alexander commented that while he and Selectman Stone had been social friends with the
Nelsons for many years it doesn't change the junkyard issue or what needs to be done about it.

Pat McCotter

And previously Aug 16, 2004.
Deerfield Selectmen's meeting minutes (PDF File)
Page 7

? Letter/Guy Daniels
Mr. Daniels wrote he regretted having to write a letter but the Ivan Nelson property has been brought to the Board's attention several times regarding compliance issues with little results. Mr. Daniels mentioned watching new vehicles, campers and other items continuing to arrive. This is unsettling to Mr. Daniels because he works hard to keep his real estate in top-notch condition and that is not the case with the Nelson property. Mr. Daniels requested significant progress by the end of September or he would consider legal action against Ivan Nelson and the Town of Deerfield. The Selectmen referred the correspondence to Code Enforcement Officer, Rick Pelletier and

Pat McCotter

BTW, I am just following this. I'm not currently recommending/asking for any action. It just caught my eye in the news. Figured I'd keep everyone updated.
Pat

Dreepa

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 08, 2006, 02:18 PM NHFT
BTW, I am just following this. I'm not currently recommending/asking for any action. It just caught my eye in the news. Figured I'd keep everyone updated.
Pat
Sure Pat... we know that you own 50% of those cars!

Pat McCotter

Well, you pointed me to the "make your own wind turbine" site. They use car parts in those things!

Pat McCotter

I just caught this in my Google Alerts. It is from The Forum "Serving the Towns in the Shadow of Pawtuckaway".

Ivan Nelson a Young Eighty

02.AUG.08

With relatives from as far away as England attending, a large contingent of family and friends surprised Ivan Nelson with a cowboy-theme birthday party on Northwood Lake. Here Ivan stands with his wife Mary facing the lake.

K. Darien Freeheart

Sad story. :( For fella.

QuoteHe didn't say he was an anarchist, just that he's a libertarian. Libertarians are unprincipled

>:D  ;D

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 03, 2006, 03:03 PM NHFT
"I'm all for Live Free or Die," he said. "I love New Hampshire politics. I'm an independent, but if I had a label, it would be libertarian.

Unh hunh. I bet you are buddy. You sure sound like one.

Porcupine_in_MA

Quote from: Dreepa on May 03, 2006, 04:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 03, 2006, 03:46 PM NHFT
Sent to the Monitor:

========================================
Guy Daniels of Deerfield (May 3, Cars drive neighbors apart) doesn't have a leg to stand on in his dispute with neighbor Ivan Nelson. Mr Nelson has lived there for 39 years. Mr. Daniels knew the cars were there when he moved in 7 years ago.

It's bad enough that the property taxes are probably going to force Mr. Nelson from his property. You want to force a 77-year old man to stop what he's been doing for the past 20 years?
========================================

Nice Pat ... I like it.

Seconded. Good job. Oh and Mass is too close. CA is much better.

rmodel65

the neighbor and i probably would get along to good, i love junk cars :P

John Edward Mercier

Why didn't Daniels just build his own damn fence?

K. Darien Freeheart

QuoteWhy didn't Daniels just build his own damn fence?

Because that would require the realization that he's responsible for himself rather than nanny government? It's like asking why poor people don't just make more money. If that crucial factor were there, the entire point would be moot. :P

John Edward Mercier

Toadstool

Quote from: rmodel65 on October 25, 2008, 06:43 PM NHFT
the neighbor and i probably would get along to good, i love junk cars :P

ME TOO!!!

If I was his neighbor,  I'd be borrowing his tools to work on his junk cars to fix and sell to myself!!  :icon_pirat: har har!! ole man Nelson looks like a cool cat and would be ok with this!!!

He's gotta have some real gems in there!! 65 acres!!  of junk cars yee haw!!

race cars...
mud trucks!
race out mud truck CAMPERS!

man this is getting good!
I gotta go, I got a new house to buy!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D :D ;)

Best wishes for Nelson!
Peace