• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Regional real-estate terms I'm not familiar with

Started by 9thmoon, May 04, 2006, 05:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

9thmoon

I'm looking at real estate listings around Derry: 

What is a condex?

What is a coop?  We have something called a co-op (co-operative housing) in Seattle but it's very rare and I don't understand it very well. 

Three-season porch I can guess...

Do no houses in NH have attached two-car garages?

What is "bottled fuel heat"?

Thank you for your insight!

aries

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 04, 2006, 05:26 PM NHFT
Plenty do, but mostly newer ones.

A co-op can also be a food store that is owned by a corporation of its shoppers/members, who pay into it to get lower prices.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: freedominnh on May 04, 2006, 05:38 PM NHFT
Liquid propane (LP) exists where city gas does not.  FHA OIL is a burner that blows hot air through vents, can also a/c this way.  FHW Oil is antifreeze heated through radiator baseboards.   FHA and FHW can be gas or LP. 

Just a nit to pick here, FHW is forced hot water. There is usually water in the radiator side of the system and water or steam in the boiler side. You would only need glycol if the system was going to be exposed to freezing temperatures such as a sidewalk snowmelt system.

Dreepa

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 04, 2006, 05:26 PM NHFT

My barn is attached and can hold 2 cars ;)

Russell Kanning

What have been the best websites for searching real estate?

Pat McCotter

http://www.carlsonre.com is good, too. Registering with the site gives you addresses of the properties. Registration has a selection to not need an e-mail verification so you don't need to worry about spam from the company.

9thmoon

Freedom, when I'm looking at "condex"es  (*flinch*)  is the price I'm seeing more likely to be the price to purchase the whole building, or the price to purchase one of the units in the building?  The interior photos seem to be showing both units in all cases.  Around here, we call these duplexes or triplexes, but they're owned by one person who generally rents them out, or possibly lives in one and rents out the other(s).  From your description, though, it sounds like a condex is more of condominium, but with only two units.

Thanks, everyone, for your input - you are all so helpful!

These are the sites I've been searching, as recommended to me in a previous thread:

http://www.masiello.com/selectState.cfm

http://www.nneren.com/

9thmoon

Oh, one more question: How do you buy bottled fuel for heat?  Is it like houses that are heated by oil - you can call a company and they'll deliver a whole bunch?  Or do you pick some up while you're at the grocery, like you do with propane tanks for your gas barbeque?  Is it economical?  It sounds like a pain in the ass, changing bottles out all the time.  

Zork

You call the company and they deliver, just like oil, but the natural gas bottle resembles a giant propane grill bottle.  Ours is about 5' high and about 3' around.  By bottled, it means means that it's stored in a container on the property (like oil) instead of delivered to the premises by a municipal hookup like water and sewer are (unless you have well and sceptic, of course!)

Dreepa

I have two of those suckers outside my house.
No hassle at all.  The companies deliver them.

Also I know you want some more 'country'.  I was in Kingston last week.  Near Derry, near MA yet still a little bit country.  You might want to check that out.

9thmoon

I'll do that, dreepa, thank you.

So "bottled" doesn't actually mean "in bottles".  That's a relief. 

Dreepa

Think of a propane tank for a gas grill.  Now think of one on steroids that is 5 feet tall.  :D

JonM

In order to "own" the land, you must own both sides of a condex.  If you buy both halves, in most cases you will own all the land they sit on.  There may be instances where this is not the case, but then, that house shouldn't be called a condex.

They tend to cost almost as much as a single family home on its own land, so I'm not sure of the appeal of a condex myself.