• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Old Warehouse/Mill/Factory space in Keene area

Started by Russell Kanning, May 08, 2006, 03:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I wanted to run with FreedomInNH's idea of a business incubator in our area. It might not be an actual incubator, but could at least be a shared space.

One of the ideas that could work is to lease some inexpensive warehouse space in Keene and run several businesses in it. There are some possibilities right in Keene and even cheaper stuff out of town.

If we were in town, we might not have great frontage ... but we could still grab retail traffic easier.
In outlying areas such as Swanzey and Winchester, there are even less expensive places. Retail sales might be harder and we would have to attract a more dedicated hangout group, but we could be doing all wholesale/manufacturing.

I am also thinking the location could turn into a real hangout spot for our gang and like minded locals that connect with us. This could open up possibilities for having food/beverage items as one of the businesses in the building.

What are the businesses that could be located in this sort of space and what preferences would people have for location?

AlanM

My ideas:
Outside of Keene (Towns are easier to deal with)
T-shirts, sweatshirts, caps
Publishing House
Shorty Dawkins Coffee (Branded sales) (Set up a distributorship group)
Classroom(s) - lease the room(s) on a per class basis
Secondhand bookstore
Gold and Silver Exchange

Russell Kanning

I also know an upholsterer in Jaffrey, for making it perfect if necessary. :)

Russell Kanning

Some things for sale or lease by MLS numbers:
184327 Shop in Hinsdale for $85,000
203335 5,000ft + 5,000ft 1.3 acres by river in Winchester $126,000
224293 (4) 1 bedroom apartments and store frontage in the middle of half dead Winchester $240,000
222199 Chuch in Winchester

others
249323 overpriced
185268 gas station
254550 lease
223431 will build to suit, owner financing
250424 apartments

RichDPhoto

I'm bringing my photography business with me to New Hampshire, and I think this is a great idea.

Unfortunately I'm operating on a shoestring right now. :(

Russell Kanning

For some of us, we run our businesses out of our homes, so rented space is not necessary. But some of these ideas need space and public access.

president

Quote from: RichDPhoto on May 09, 2006, 10:05 AM NHFT
I'm bringing my photography business with me to New Hampshire, and I think this is a great idea.

Unfortunately I'm operating on a shoestring right now.
Do you need any help with the website?

Do you do digital and chemical?
Do you have a darkroom?
Do you have a bunch of lights and reflectors?

RichDPhoto

Quote from: russellkanning on May 09, 2006, 10:35 AM NHFT
For some of us, we run our businesses out of our homes, so rented space is not necessary. But some of these ideas need space and public access.

I hear ya.  I've been working out of my home in Utah for several years.  It's nice not to have the added hassle of maintaining additional space, and it has it's downsides, too.

As it stands right now, priority one for me is finding living space here.

I do all my shooting on location, which helps keep my overhead low.

It would be nice, though, to have some space to use as a studio when necessary, as an "office space" for meeting with potential clients , and/or wall space to display my sample pieces and stuff I have for sale.

Do you need any help with the website?

Negative.  I maintain my own website, and am very happy with my webhost -- they've been my ISP for over ten years.  It's still physically located in Utah, so eventually I'll want to move it to an NH sever, preferably at a host that's owned and operated by a porc. :D

If there isn't one, and somebody's willing to invest in the hardware and bandwidth, I have UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD sysadmin skills I can bring to the table.

Do you do digital and chemical?

Yes.

Do you have a darkroom?

Not yet.  When I purchase land/home here, I'll be building one.  In the mean time, I need to inquire about darkroom facilities that are available to rent.

Do you have a bunch of lights and reflectors?

No.  I work primarily with natural light.  I do have some lighting gear (some patched-together hotlights and a pair of White Lighting Ultra Zap 800s), it wouldn't fit in the car for the trip (wussy little Honda Civic) so it's still in Utah.

Russell Kanning

I visited 184327 the price has gone down to $80,000. It is old and has basically no parking, but for more than 2000sqft of space on main street in hinsdale ... it is interesting.
Looks like there is owner financing available.
The upper floor is being rented out at $500 or 550.

Russell Kanning

The warehouse place in Ashuelot #203335 is right along 119 and has great frontage next to the river. There is even a swimmin' hole. I can just imagine leaving that open to the public and calling it "Shorty's Swimming Hole".
The building looks bad though. I didn't go inside yet.

Russell Kanning

I talked with a guy from Michigan, Richard Mawby, who does some printing and is interested in a coffee shop situation ... but only if there are books and a place to read and smoke. That doesn't sound like anyone else I know on this forum. ;)