• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Sci-Fi Story idea

Started by Ron Helwig, April 16, 2006, 08:34 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Helwig

I know we have at least one author here. I don't have the writing skills, so...

Premise: The general public believes that government is necessary to protect people. What would happen to government if it was physically impossible to harm anyone?

I've watched and read a lot of Sci-Fi, and a lot of them have force fields or "shields". If individuals could protect themselves and their property with these, they wouldn't need government's "protection" at all. They could also safely ignore any and all attempts to govern them.

The story could have a secret government bureau that possesses the technology but prevents it from getting out. Yet, like all government agencies it is imperfect; and some civilian gets access to a shield and the knowledge to create more.

Anyway, I always think of Russell as the initial 'self-protected' individual that breaks the tech loose and starts the un-governing movement.  :D

Imagine a "Ruby Ridge" where the Weavers laughed at the government while bullets bounced off of them. Randy is out chopping wood for the stove, blissfully ignorant of the flying lead. Or better yet, the government attackers can't even get close.

Children couldn't be spanked anymore?

Has anyone read anything like this yet? If not, anyone want to run with the idea?

Tunga

Why is it illegal for regular folks to generate thier own electricity without being hooked up to the grid? When everyone has access to the energy free flowing through the wires of the time space continum, things will be very different. Science poo pooed the vacum energy for years. Even after it had been demonstrated in the laboratory and in Government radar and missle installations to be a very real and somewhat troublesome phenomena.

AlanM

Tunga, Alan says that as far as he knows, you can make/create your own power, for your own use, but you can't sell it to anyone.

Lloyd Danforth

Tunga

Part PUC 903 General Rules, Rights and Obligations

(a) Any distribution utility and any electricity supplier operating within the state of New Hampshire shall, upon request, provide net energy metering to ECGs pursuant to Puc 900 and RSA 362-A-9

Puc 902.01 ?Distribution utility? means the company that owns and/or operates the distribution facilities delivering electricity to the eligible customer-generator?s premises.

Puc 902.02 ?Electric utility customer? as used in the definition of ?eligible customer generator? means any residential, commercial or industrial ratepayer of a distribution utility.

In other words if you generate electricity the PUC can have a piece of it no matter who your "selling" it too. Even if its to yourself. Deliver us from evil will ya?

toowm

Not quite the same, but a great read nonetheless - The Peace War by Vernor Vinge. Actually, most of Vinge's work is libertarian-ideal, hard SF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peace_War

Pat McCotter

Quote from: toowm on April 17, 2006, 08:57 PM NHFT
Not quite the same, but a great read nonetheless - The Peace War by Vernor Vinge. Actually, most of Vinge's work is libertarian-ideal, hard SF.

I read this a while back as "Across Realtime." Good one.

Tunga

It amuses Tunga that the first two dimensions of our 4 space world are outlawed. ;D

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Pat McCotter on April 17, 2006, 09:14 PM NHFT
Quote from: toowm on April 17, 2006, 08:57 PM NHFT

I read this a while back as "Across Realtime." Good one.

Cool! Thanks.

I read True Names... but only really remember the stuff about cyberspace. At the time I was really into Neuromancer et al.

I'll have to look into it.

Tunga

http://msl.jpl.nasa.gov/QuickLooks/clementineQL.html

How about a story about a little spacecraft launched from earth on a mission to map the moon. After  a while the craft rockets out of it's polar orbit about the moon on a "classified" second phase. Years later it is revealed the tiny spacecraft was supposed to intercept an asteroid but something went wrong and the mission was scrubed.

Or was it? A few months after Clementine left the moon a  short period comet gets smashed to pieces. Today that cometary desbris is poised to rain down on earth. Coincedience?

Tunga

http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/html/mdalink.html

In this test the anti missile system successfully intercepted a "virtual" enemy missle whose position was provideed by the same software that was steering the counter missle to its virtual target.

DIRECT FUCKING HIT!!!

Wow, who da thunk it.

Your government working hard so you don't have to.

Nightie night.