• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

New Hampshire Granites

Started by YeahItsMeJP, May 15, 2006, 09:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

YeahItsMeJP

What do folks think about starting a new currency? I have a sample of one I have been working on call NH Granites and I started a non-profit to look into the alternative currency idea called New Hampshire Granites Currency Project.

Atlas

What's wrong with the Liberty Dollar?

Fluff and Stuff

Yeah, I think the Liberty Dollar is pretty good for what we are.

aries

It's amazing how the dollar fails to inflate when they don't tax it.

Once we get more libertarians in the senate, we might even be able to get a state currency going...

FrankChodorov

the first alternative currency used in the state during the modern era was something called the "constant" and was used in Exeter, NH in the early 70's.

invented by the radical decentralist & georgist Ralph Borsodi, it was backed by a "basket of commodities" that included hard metals.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading_and_Self_Reliance/1974_May_June/The_Borsodi_Constant__an_Inflation_Free_Currency

fourthgeek

This would cost an amazing amount of capital (backing, printing, storage, management) to create a viable dollar replacement. Why should we invest money and time into this - what can I return out of it?

An e-currency would be a million times cheaper, would it not? And what would make our currency better than the others?

FTL_Ian

I like the Liberty Dollar, but it can be done better, and competition is good.  I say go for it!

PowerPenguin

I don't think we need yet another currency, but rather focus should be given to the Credit Union idea, basing assets on many different things, ie different metals, different stock/debt-based funds, etc. as well as different modus operandi (ie, physical gold and e-gold, ALDs and eLDs, etc.) Initial setup might be a tad more complicated, but for the long term it should produce a more stable and more litigation/search-and-seizure proof financial institution.

fourthgeek

Can the credit union and the mutual aid society be combined with a bartering (tax-free) system for maximum power punch?

Pat McCotter

You want to compete with Concord Downtown dollars?

Start a gold/silver warehouse and issue reciepts.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: fourthgeek on May 16, 2006, 08:54 PM NHFT
Can the credit union and the mutual aid society be combined with a bartering (tax-free) system for maximum power punch?

yes...Ripple Pay

http://www.ripplepay.com/faq/#why_ripple

Michael Fisher

Quote from: FSP-Rebel on May 15, 2006, 01:57 PM NHFT
What's wrong with the Liberty Dollar?

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on May 15, 2006, 02:20 PM NHFT
Yeah, I think the Liberty Dollar is pretty good for what we are.

The Lie-berty Dollar is rarely (if EVER) used properly because it is far more difficult to spend them if people know the truth about them.

In other words, people try to pass them off as US currency because of the "$" on them.

People admit doing this regularly. Read through the testimonials on their website.

aries

The liberty dollar is really a big complication of what should be a simple thing.

Until alternative money is able to display its conversion value to US dollars in realtime, vendors will still refuse to take it.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: aries on May 17, 2006, 02:51 PM NHFT
The liberty dollar is really a big complication of what should be a simple thing.

Until alternative money is able to display its conversion value to US dollars in realtime, vendors will still refuse to take it.

So, you think there should be a computer chip and electronic display on each piece of currency? Would they be WiFi or cell phone? If not, then how could they possibly display a realtime conversion value? Who determines the conversion value?

The whole point of the Liberty Dollar is to allow people to use it in transactions just like they do with the FRNs, to get them used to money. Once enough people are used to actually using money again, we can convert over to a more principled currency that just uses weights.

As long as the majority of people are using FRNs, they will expect transactions to be denominated in FRNs. That's what we need to get away from, but there needs to be a way to actually make the transition.

The Liberty Dollar allows people to decide for themselves how to use it. They can decide to take the easy course and accept the FRN denomination, or they can treat it as if it were a specific amount of metal (also denominated). No one is forced to accept the FRN denomination (or the weight denomination).

cathleeninnh

Having both hard and fiat currency, I will continue to pay with dollars. When is is too late to buy gold? Gold and silver or anything else as long as there isn't much "markup" over intrinsic value, is worth holding on to while paper continues to be accepted universally.

Cathleen