• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

HOV lanes and toll roads?

Started by 9thmoon, May 16, 2006, 11:32 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 17, 2006, 02:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on May 17, 2006, 05:43 AM NHFT
we are on the cusp of starting a very large and costly highway construction project to have I93 become 4 lanes north and south between the Massachusetts border and Concord that may include HOV lanes...

Is it already approved and funded and everything?
I think that they want to get rolling on this.  They saw the cost is $3B but they only have $2B.  They are going to start on some park and rides this summer. (Although with the floods maybe some money will be diverted.).
There have been some lawsuits slowing this down. 

Kat Kanning

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 17, 2006, 02:06 PM NHFT
Thank you all once again.  I have never seen or travelled on a toll road so it's an alien concept to me.  I guess I'll need to carry a roll of quarters.

There was one on the CA coast, so it wasn't totally new to me!  But I know what you mean  :)

FrankChodorov

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 17, 2006, 02:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on May 17, 2006, 05:43 AM NHFT
we are on the cusp of starting a very large and costly highway construction project to have I93 become 4 lanes north and south between the Massachusetts border and Concord that may include HOV lanes...

Is it already approved and funded and everything?

Conservation Law Foundation has it tied up in court over the lack of planning around rail and secondary impacts on the environment and existing infrastructure...

http://www.clf.org/programs/cases.asp?id=179

aries

I hate paying tolls. I get off the exit and take a different route sometimes, or toss canadian quarters in... just because they're worth that much less  ;D

president

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 17, 2006, 02:06 PM NHFTI have never seen or travelled on a toll road so it's an alien concept to me.
CT stopped collecting tolls in 1985 or so.
Maybe it can happen here too.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 17, 2006, 02:06 PM NHFT
Thank you all once again.  I have never seen or travelled on a toll road so it's an alien concept to me.  I guess I'll need to carry a roll of quarters.

I bought a roll of quarters just before my move. Glad I did. I used most of it during the move, and the rest getting acquainted. Now that I know the local roads I avoid the toll/tracked roads like the plague.

cathleeninnh

The toll roads are avoidable if you are not in a hurry. I keep plenty of quarters but not for the tolls. I keep them for parking in Concord. Some meters are quarter only and the garages have metered parking rather than pay attendants. I find that the cash lanes on the toll roads get me through faster than the exact change lanes (but slower than the EZPass lanes).

And they do take Canadian quarters the same as US quarters.
Speaking of which, it iritates me no end that even banks will slip Canadian quaters into rolls, but they aren't accepted by vending machines.

Cathleen

Pat McCotter

Where are quarter only meters in Concord, Cathleen? I do know that most meters give the time allowance for dime and quarter but they will also take nickels.