• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Specialty grocery stores in southern NH - organic

Started by 9thmoon, May 16, 2006, 11:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

9thmoon

I'm horrified to find that Whole Foods has no NH locations whatsoever.  Are any of the MA locations close enough to do your shopping weekly if you lived in southern NH? 

Alternately, does anyone know of other, similar, possibly even small/local/seasonal places to buy organic foods, particularly produce?

Right now I'm subscribed to an organic produce and grocery delivery company and I absolutely adore paying a little more and having healthy food delivered to my doorstep.  It is worth every penny.  The company I deal with is regional to Seattle/Portland, though.  Anyone know of anything like it in south NH? 

Incidentally, my partner and I will probably be making the decision whether or not to move within the next several weeks while our local real estate market is hothothot... you may be seeing more posts like this from me as questions occur.  I will Google before spamming the forums... you guys have already been so helpful in helping me turn my partner's opinion around on on whether NH was feasible for us, and I really, really appreciate it.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: 9thmoon on May 16, 2006, 11:41 PM NHFT
I'm horrified to find that Whole Foods has no NH locations whatsoever.  Are any of the MA locations close enough to do your shopping weekly if you lived in southern NH? 
If you are horrified by that ..... you might be setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment. :)
Did you know that it sometimes snows 2 feet in a day here?
.......are you ready for the shock of 10 dunkindonuts/1 starbucks?
Seattle and San Diego invented grocery warehouses ..... we have like .... 1 here

BTW my wife and I couldn't help but notice that the grocery stores here have very large "organic" sections .... that seem to be growing all the time. It might just be here in Keene, but I kinda doubt it.
We are buying organic produce in large quantities through our friend Dawn .... but that is only available to us hip people who live in SW NH. 8)

Sell Sell Sell
then you can rent here in NH and find just the right place ... with just the right stores. :)

Kat Kanning

There's also a natural food store in Keene...Blueberry Fields.  Seasonally, there are farmer's markets, which tend to have a lot of organic.  I've seen several organic farms in the area.  And like Russell said, every grocery store in town has a large natural food section, plus an organic produce section.  Dawn Lincoln's husband Bill delivers for an organic foods distributor, and she's starting up a co-op where several of us are getting together for big orders/lower cost.  Maybe Keene would be a good place for you  ;)  ;D

president

NH is lacking in "health food" stores. Both Hannaford and Shaws have a big "health food" section.

You can order stuff from http://www.assocbuyers.com/, they deliver, but the order has to be over $300. I don't think they carry any fresh fruits or veggies.

FrankChodorov

Alternately, does anyone know of other, similar, possibly even small/local/seasonal places to buy organic foods, particularly produce?

Right now I'm subscribed to an organic produce and grocery delivery company and I absolutely adore paying a little more and having healthy food delivered to my doorstep.  It is worth every penny.  The company I deal with is regional to Seattle/Portland, though.  Anyone know of anything like it in south NH? 

Incidentally, my partner and I will probably be making the decision whether or not to move within the next several weeks while our local real estate market is hothothot... you may be seeing more posts like this from me as questions occur.  I will Google before spamming the forums... you guys have already been so helpful in helping me turn my partner's opinion around on on whether NH was feasible for us, and I really, really appreciate it.

The Concord Food Coop just re-opened it's new store...

http://concordfoodcoop.coop/

The Hanover/Lebanon Food Coop is one of the most successful in the country and has an amazing store and gas station

http://www.coopfoodstore.com/html/about_thestores.html

there are mutliple community supported agriculture (CSA) farms...

my wife and I belong to one in Concord.

we pay a fee in the winter when the farmer needs money and they deliver local, organic produce to us in the summer.

http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M10285

http://www.localharvestnh.com/

FrankChodorov

Kat Kanning

Wowie, useful info from Bill  :o  Will wonders never cease?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: katdillon on May 17, 2006, 05:54 AM NHFT
Wowie, useful info from Bill  :o  Will wonders never cease?

Russell changed my heart over the chinese buffet...

Kat Kanning

president

Quote from: lawofattraction on May 17, 2006, 07:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: dead president on May 17, 2006, 05:17 AM NHFT
NH is lacking in "health food" stores.

Nonsense.

? Earthward Health Foods - 95% Clean Food!. (Amherst)
? Concord Food Co-op - Specializes in organic produce and bulk food with much, much more!. (Concord)
? Granite State Natural Foods - Full Service Natural foods grocer. (Concord)
? Dover Natural Foods & Caf? - . (Dover)
? Blue Moon Market - Specialty Food and Natural Food. (Exeter)
THE WHOLE FOOD FARMACY - - Delicious organic food and non-toxic personal care products delivered to your home. (Franklin)
? The Willow Tree Apothecary - Groceries, Vitamins, & Herbs, Organic Sandwich Wraps, Organic Produce & Meats . (Gorham)
? Don's Market - . (Hampstead)
? Hampton Natural Foods - . (Hampton)
? Hanover Consumer Co-op - Provide the Upper Valley's best selection of high-quality goods and services. (Hanover)
? Country Life Vegetarian Natural Foods - . (Keene)
? SUNFLOWER NATURAL FOODS - . (LACONIA)
? Lebanon Consumer Co-op - Provide the Upper Valley's best selection of high-quality goods and services. (Lebanon)
? Lebanon Health Foods - . (Lebanon)
? A Market Natural Foods - amarketnaturalfoods.com. (Manchester)
? Bonne Sante Natural Foods - In Business since 1970!. (Manchester)
? Good Foods Conspiracy - . (Meredith)
? 14 Carrots Co-op - The Lake Sunapee Areas Co-op. (New London)
? Peppercorn Natural Foods - Small retail natural foods store in business since 1976. . (Plymouth)
? Portsmouth Health Food Ctr - We've been in business for 25 years!. (Portsmouth)
That isn't a very big list for a state, but you did miss quite a few. Not much at all in Nashua... I stand by my statement. I didn't say there aren't any. Oh, and the ones I do find tend to suck.

Also, I noticed you listed Don's Market in Hampstead. Is that the "health food" store that has a gas pump and sells fried chicken?

JonM

There's a Whole foods in Bedford, MA, less than half an hour from the border at Nashua.  They just opened another not far away in Woburn, MA.  They may come further norrth as time goes on.

There's a Wild Oats in Andover, MA, which is not too far from the NH border if you live in the Salem area.  I don't like that place as much as Whole Foods myself.

Here is their requirements list for a new store:

If you have a retail location you think would make a good site for Whole Foods Market, Inc., please review the following guidelines carefully for consideration:
200,000 people or more in a 20 minute drive time
40,000–75,000 Square Feet
Large number of college-educated residents
Abundant parking available for our exclusive use
Stand alone preferred, would consider complementary
Easy access from roadways, lighted intersection
Excellent visibility, directly off of the street
Must be located in a high traffic area (foot and/or vehicle)

Nashua and Salem probably fit that, if a site were available.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/index.html

There's an email link there to beg for a new location as well.

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on May 17, 2006, 05:36 AM NHFT
The Hanover/Lebanon Food Coop is one of the most successful in the country and has an amazing store and gas station

This is where we do 99% of our shopping. We'll go to Shaws to get bottled water and other things like that because it's cheaper.

9thmoon

Quote from: lawofattraction on May 17, 2006, 12:38 PM NHFT
The thing that I find interesting is that a libertarian would even ask the question about health food stores. The few libertarians I've ever met are anything but health-conscious! 

I'm a moderate.   ;D

9thmoon

Quote from: russellkanning on May 17, 2006, 02:58 AM NHFT
If you are horrified by that ..... you might be setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment. :)
Did you know that it sometimes snows 2 feet in a day here?
.......are you ready for the shock of 10 dunkindonuts/1 starbucks?
Seattle and San Diego invented grocery warehouses ..... we have like .... 1 here

Disappointment why?  I do know about the snow - I'd rather be cold than hot, and Seattle is getting hot.  I hear dunkin donuts has awesome coffee.  I don't like grocery warehouses... I don't seem to be able to find high-quality foods there very easily.  Just lots of overprocessed stuff at prices that make people into pigs. 

Quote from: russellkanning on May 17, 2006, 02:58 AM NHFT
Sell Sell Sell
then you can rent here in NH and find just the right place ... with just the right stores. :)

I wish it were that easy but chances are not good that we could find a place to rent when we have dogs and cats. 

9thmoon

Quote from: katdillon on May 17, 2006, 04:46 AM NHFT
Dawn Lincoln's husband Bill delivers for an organic foods distributor, and she's starting up a co-op where several of us are getting together for big orders/lower cost.  Maybe Keene would be a good place for you  ;)  ;D

Awesome! 
We need to be further south than that for various reasons, but I hope to be spending time in Keene socially/poltically often enough.  =)