• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Specialty grocery stores in southern NH - organic

Started by 9thmoon, May 16, 2006, 11:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

9thmoon

Quote from: Jon Maltz on May 17, 2006, 09:56 AM NHFT
There's a Whole foods in Bedford, MA, less than half an hour from the border at Nashua.  They just opened another not far away in Woburn, MA.  They may come further norrth as time goes on.

There's a Wild Oats in Andover, MA, which is not too far from the NH border if you live in the Salem area.  I don't like that place as much as Whole Foods myself.

Thanks, Jon!

Kat Kanning

9thmoon

Quote from: katdillon on May 17, 2006, 02:45 PM NHFT
Hmm much further south and you'd be in Mass!
Yeah, that's kind of the point... my partner needs to be able to reasonably commute to west Boston.  Reasonable = less than an hour, or less than 50 miles, or, actually, both. 

Russell Kanning

We just found it funny that you would want to be south of our friend Dawn ..... who lives in Winchester. You can't get any further south. :)

Dreepa

She could live in Ashuelot. ;)

She means SE NH. Not SW NH which is really the center of NH, right?

Russell Kanning

We are starting the revolution here. We might have good stores also. :)

9thmoon

Quote from: russellkanning on May 17, 2006, 02:59 PM NHFT
We just found it funny that you would want to be south of our friend Dawn ..... who lives in Winchester. You can't get any further south. :)

Oh!  I meant south of Keene   :blush:

Dreepa

Lloyd Danforth

New Hampshire Atlasses will be available at Dawkins/Porcfest.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: lawofattraction on May 17, 2006, 12:38 PM NHFT
The thing that I find interesting is that a libertarian would even ask the question about health food stores. The few libertarians I've ever met are anything but health-conscious! 

I'm a health conscious Libertarian and Vegetarian. I try to avoid organic food because its both bad for the environment and bad for health.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: lawofattraction on May 18, 2006, 08:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: Ron Helwig on May 18, 2006, 08:14 AM NHFTI try to avoid organic food because its both bad for the environment and bad for health.

How so?

Organic farming isn't as productive, so it requires more land for the same amount of produce.

Organic food isn't as clean. (Not that washing produce you bring home from a store is a bad idea regardless). It doesn't last as long, leading to more spoilage. It costs more, wasting people's money.

Genetically engineered foods have the potential to wipe out diseases or otherwise improve health (once the wackos get out of the way and allow its usage). Golden Rice anyone?

We've been genetically modifying crops for thousands of years, but now we're actually doing it scientifically.

I basically see organic food purchases as akin to buying a Rolex. A high priced watch doesn't do a better job of telling the time, but it makes the wearer feel better about it. (kinda weird that paying more than necessary for something makes you feel better about it)

FrankChodorov

QuoteI basically see organic food purchases as akin to buying a Rolex. A high priced watch doesn't do a better job of telling the time, but it makes the wearer feel better about it

that's because the true costs of non-organic are not factored into the price.

we all eventually pay for the negative externalites - just not at the register.

every libertarian should be against subjecting a third party to a cost that should be born by the parties to the agreement...

JonM

The organic fruit I buy tends to look better and taste better than the conventional version of the same fruit.  Heck, I find a big difference in texture between conventional walnuts and organic walnuts in the bulk area at Whole Foods.  So I'll pay a little extra for the better flavor, I'm not quite as concerned with the other factors that make up Organic.

president

Quote from: Ron Helwig on May 18, 2006, 10:06 AM NHFT

Organic farming isn't as productive, so it requires more land for the same amount of produce.
What does that have to do with health?

QuoteOrganic food isn't as clean.
What are you talking about?
How does using pesticide make food cleaner?

QuoteIt doesn't last as long, leading to more spoilage.
How does using pesticide make food last longer?

QuoteGenetically engineered foods have the potential to wipe out diseases or otherwise improve health (once the wackos get out of the way and allow its usage). Golden Rice anyone?
Organic food can be genetically engineered.

QuoteWe've been genetically modifying crops for thousands of years, but now we're actually doing it scientifically.
And what does that have to do with organic food?

When I use the term organic, I typicaly mean no pesticide was used on plants, and no drugs/hormones in animals. I don't use the government definitions.

Lex