• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

For those new to web forums: Don't feed the trolls

Started by Dave Ridley, February 09, 2005, 03:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

We're about to have a problem which is, as they say, the kind of problem you want to have...because only successful web forums have it.

Sooner or later as this site gets more popular it will, like all web forums, start attracting a lot of trolls, i.e. people who are here to destroy the environment of our little web community.  Some will make personal attacks or start flame wars, others will resort to sexual references.  Still others will simply try to eat up your time with debate. They'd rather see you debating them than taking action for liberty.  The important thing is not to give them what they want. 

Every troll has a slightly different motivation but most of them want one or more of the folllowing:

1) Attention, hateful or otherwise.

2) To drive away people from the forum by making it a less friendly place

3) To force moderators to delete their posts so they can accuse someone of violating their free speech

The important thing is generally to not give them what they want.   Don't respond to them, don't leave the forum because of them and (in the case of moderators) don't delete their posts unless it's really necessary and deletion appears to be supported by the other participants.

Take trolls for what they are:  A sign of success and a test of your will.  Pass the test by sticking with us and giving the bad guys no aid and comfort. 

intergraph19

I wish people would stop useing the "free speech" scream so incorrectly.  Only the government is forbidden from violating that. 

I personally like a fair amount of debate.  Lack of new ideas and discussion can quickly stagnate a group.

Kat Kanning

Quote from: freedumbinnh on February 18, 2005, 06:05 AM NHFT
OK, I am a "troll" because I am a NH resident paying attention to libertarians/cooks/republicans/rinos.

I like cooks....mmmmm!

Russell Kanning

And you all plan to rag all over NH residents that don't kiss your ass? Again, good luck with that.
My plan is to work with the good NH residents and crush all opposition....I don't need anyone to kiss my butt to be successful. :)

Russell Kanning

OK, I am a "troll" because I am a NH resident paying attention to libertarians/cooks/republicans/rinos.
So now you are calling more than half the NH population cooks?

Rodinia

I am a cook but I prefer to be called a chef. Anyone can slap a grilled cheese sandwich together but how many can make a  " Fire grilled ciabatta with asiago, sundried tomatoes and basil aioli" ?  >:D

Russell Kanning

AlanM

Maybe give them a few recipes and they can feed themselves. Of course their correctness masters would be out of a job.  :-\

Russell Kanning

Quote from: freedumbinnh on February 18, 2005, 08:55 AM NHFT
For example, mikey lorrey was a registered republican just last year. Now he has a position in the NHLP. That is the type of republican I mean. You know, the transhumanist type that wants to clone themselves. Not really the typical republican.
So you actually have a problem with a small part of the NH population.....me too. :) I have a problem with the small groups that want to tell the rest of us what to do.
If Mikey Lorrey wants to clone himself...I don't mind. As long as he isn't hurting anyone...he can do what he wants. :)

davemincin

I'm going to have to pass on the cloning, thinking one of me is quite enough,
however should you ever get this plan rolling, I know several lovely ladies that!
;D

AlanM

Quote from: davemincin on February 18, 2005, 09:26 AM NHFT
I'm going to have to pass on the cloning, thinking one of me is quite enough,
however should you ever get this plan rolling, I know several lovely ladies that!
;D

But Dave, with two of you we could have "la" in stereo.  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Rodinia on February 18, 2005, 08:30 AM NHFT
I am a cook but I prefer to be called a chef. Anyone can slap a grilled cheese sandwich together but how many can make a? " Fire grilled ciabatta with asiago, sundried tomatoes and basil aioli" ?? >:D

Can't even pronounce it!

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Rodinia on February 18, 2005, 08:30 AM NHFT
I am a cook but I prefer to be called a chef. Anyone can slap a grilled cheese sandwich together but how many can make a  " Fire grilled ciabatta with asiago, sundried tomatoes and basil aioli" ?  >:D

Mmmm....When's the party at Rodinia's? ;)

John

Quote from: freedumbinnh on February 18, 2005, 08:56 AM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on February 18, 2005, 08:51 AM NHFT
Man our "cooks" are feeding the trolls 8)

I was thinking the same thing!
Dada will be very disappointed.

Maybe this was just bait?

Are you sure you're not the one from that other forum? . . . couldn't be.
Maybe you're his little brother or sister?
Maybe you wish you were his clone?   :o

Margot Keyes

:(Boy if only all these people wasting time crabbing  would get busy doing something ACTIVE instead of crabbing and complaining.

Well, we who communicate with them are probably just as guilty, feeding into their lack of self-esteem by giving them the attention they want. Oh well. Back to my kiddos...

Think happy thoughts people; no one is here in NH to take over anything or BE taken over by anything. If that is what native think we are about, then come on out Saturday to my house and see the truth. Good people working with more good people here or moved here from elsewhere against heavy legislation and taxation, not their own neighbors.

Happy Day,
Margot