• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

For those new to web forums: Don't feed the trolls

Started by Dave Ridley, February 09, 2005, 03:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: rima on October 05, 2005, 07:25 PM NHFT
Hello,

I am a newly registered member.  I am NOT a troll, but I do like to debate and weigh value per value in rational and polite discussion.  I don't know what "Karma" means or what the accompanying number signifies.  Can you advise me, please?  ???

Welcome, Rima!

The "Karma" is mostly just a fun/silly/useless way of seeing who's contributed positively to the forum, and who's been negative. You can applaud or smite other users, which will increment their karma up or down by one.

Most of us don't pay too much attention to it unless someone mentions it. And now that you mention it, I see mine has gotten quite a boost, but I don't what I said to earn it.

QuoteMy prime (libertarian) interests are advocating for home schooling and charter schools, and protesting against the recent Supreme Court "Eminent Domain" decision  re: Kelo.  I would have joined in the Souter-House protest if I had known about it at the time.

Those are pretty lively topics here. Join right in!

Kevin
-- still stuck in Texas, but heading for NH someday!

rima

Thanks for the welcome.  I won't worry about my "Karma" factor then. 

If I rant against Souter, will I be deemed a "troll"?   Souter has property less remote than his "homestead" in Weare.  The property is near the VT border near Lebonon - is there a Plainfield or something like that up there?

from Rima

BillG

Quote from: rima on October 07, 2005, 03:01 PM NHFT
Thanks for the welcome.? I won't worry about my "Karma" factor then.?

If I rant against Souter, will I be deemed a "troll"?? ?Souter has property less remote than his "homestead" in Weare.? The property is near the VT border near Lebonon - is there a Plainfield or something like that up there?

from Rima

I believe that is Justice Breyer

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Kat Kanning

Ron Helwig

BillG

Quote from: rhelwig on October 08, 2005, 11:19 AM NHFT
Quote from: katdillon on October 07, 2005, 05:39 PM NHFT
Don't even say, "Economic rent!"   >:(

At least not without explaining what you mean.  :D

they obviously don't know what they mean...

Kat Kanning

I obviously don't give a crap and don't want to know.

CNHT

Thanks for the welcome.? I won't worry about my "Karma" factor then.?

If I rant against Souter, will I be deemed a "troll"?? ?Souter has property less remote than his "homestead" in Weare.? The property is near the VT border near Lebonon - is there a Plainfield or something like that up there?

from Rima

Justice Breyer lives in Plainfield and is about to have his home repossessed as well.  >:D

d_goddard

I'd like to kill several birds with one stone here. *

In this, my first post(!) ever to NHUnderground, I will demonstrate what could be interpreted as a "Troll",
for the benefit of Rima (welcome aboard, Rima!) though it may quite likely come at cost to my own Karma.

Here we go:

Quote from: KBCraig on October 05, 2005, 07:38 PM NHFT
Kevin
<TROLL severity="low">
Kevin, when exactly is "someday"? What's it going to take to get you out here ASAP?
What are you afraid of, cold winters? Trust me, you'll learn to love January in NH.
C'mon, man, make an action plan, with definite milestones ("find job", "find place to live") and start checking 'em off... we'll help, give us details!
</TROLL>

Note that this sort of a "low-severity Troll", as it is intended to create a positive result rather than
a destructive or defamatory one. Nonetheless, it is possible to interpret this in a kind of clubby,
holier-than-thou fashion, despite that emphatically not being the intent.

Also note that if this were a proper Troll, it would not include a sincere offer of help.
I could not resist adding that, however, as I really do want more folks like Kevin out here!

By the way: sooner or later, everyone posts something that is stupid, Trollish, insensitive, mis-spelled,
or (even worse) gramatically incorrect. Try as best you can not to; learn from your mistake when you do.

-Denis

* - Just a figure of speech! In Real Life, I'm a nutcake vegetarian animal-lover that volunteered here when I lived in CA

Kat Kanning

d_goddard

If I rant against Souter, will I be deemed a "troll"?

As far as I'm concerned, if you rant against Souter, I don't care if you intentionally tattoo "Fully-Grown Mountain Troll" on your forehead; you're on the right side of history, my friend!
Now, turn those idle Rants into real Actions. Put your rant into an opinon letter and mail it to your local newspaper. Call a talk radio station and discuss your opinion with the host. Do it Right Now, yes, today!

-Denis

KBCraig

Quote from: d_goddard on October 13, 2005, 09:28 AM NHFT
I'd like to kill several birds with one stone here. *

In this, my first post(!) ever to NHUnderground, I will demonstrate what could be interpreted as a "Troll",
for the benefit of Rima (welcome aboard, Rima!) though it may quite likely come at cost to my own Karma.

Here we go:

Quote from: KBCraig on October 05, 2005, 07:38 PM NHFT
Kevin
<TROLL severity="low">
Kevin, when exactly is "someday"? What's it going to take to get you out here ASAP?
What are you afraid of, cold winters? Trust me, you'll learn to love January in NH.
C'mon, man, make an action plan, with definite milestones ("find job", "find place to live") and start checking 'em off... we'll help, give us details!
</TROLL>

Naw, that's not a troll. Real trolls study the audience carefully to learn their hot buttons. For instance, a real troll would know that I've got a job, got a plan, got a timeline. :)

But welcome aboard, and thanks for wanting "folks like me" to be in NH as  soon as possible. :)

Kevin