• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Motorcyle weather/roads in NH?

Started by 9thmoon, May 18, 2006, 06:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanSchade

Wow, thanks! I forgot about Loudon. I thought it was just an oval. I think WERA used to race there. I see CCS still races there. I have a need for speed!  ;D ;D ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: SeanSchade on November 13, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT
Wow, thanks! I forgot about Loudon. I thought it was just an oval.

I was surprised to learn they'd added an oval. I'm old. Growing up reading Cycle World in the '70s, I would dream of Loudon, Watkins Glen, and Laguna Seca.  ;D

The road course is still there and active.

Kevin

Dreepa

Quote from: SeanSchade on November 13, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT
Wow, thanks! I forgot about Loudon. I thought it was just an oval.
And Sean I will personally give you tickets to the NASCAR races in June and Sept.  For Saturday and Sunday!
No charge to you and you will have the best seats in the house courtesy of CNHT.

SeanSchade

Thanks Dreepa. Talladega is the only NASCAR race I've attended.

Kevin,

Laguna Seca was an awesome track. I did Keith Code's Road Race school out there a few years ago. I binned one of there new Kawi ZX6's on turn 11. Cold tires, a wet track, and a little too much front brake are a bad combo!  :blush: The cork screw is pretty wild. You're pretty much blind going into it from the elevation change!  :o

Dreepa

SeanSchade

That might actually be fun Dreepa. Once I get established I'll let you know if I can volunteer or not.  ;D

Dreepa

Quote from: SeanSchade on November 14, 2006, 03:02 PM NHFT
That might actually be fun Dreepa. Once I get established I'll let you know if I can volunteer or not.  ;D
Actually it was a lot of fun and you truly are the closest person to the track.

MaineShark

If anyone's looking for a cheap bike, I have a few for sale:

1983 Honda Nighthawk 550's

1985 Yamaha Virago 700

My father is storing them in his garage for me, and he's doing some renovations, so he wants them out.  I'll cut anyone a deal who wants either or both, so I don't have to transport them...

Joe

Shawn

Don't leave the bike!  NH is the place to ride, and if you like twisty roads you will be in heaven. 

Seamas

Others have mentioned Louden - I had a great time there when I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS about 10 years ago.  Riding on the back of Reg's bike was a great and humbling experience.  I had friends that raced there at a non-pro level and I'm pretty sure you can still do so.  Folks have also mentioned that NH has the highest per capita motorcycle ownership in the country.  It's pretty amazing how many bikes you see and I attribute it partly to a love of freedom.

In terms of street riding NH and VT are great.  The roads are better maintained in NH but in both states the east/west roads tend to have lots of twisties as they traverse or go around the hills.  The main north/south roads tend to be straighter and run in the valleys.  It's really hard to go wrong on an east/west road anywhere north and west of Concord but a few great roads are: 112 (The Kanc - a bit like 20 in WA with smaller mountains), 26 through Dixville notch, 302, 100 in VT, 17 in VT and my favorite the Lincoln Gap road in VT.  There are also lots of smaller roads that connect these and even the interstates (e.g. I93 through Franconia) can be nice.  Oh yea, there's also the Mt. Washington auto road if you're not afraid of drop-offs.  I think the original poster will want to buy a bike soon if she doesn't bring hers.

The only thing I'd add about weather is to be careful riding over leaves in the fall, especially when they are wet. 
Quote from: SeanSchade on November 13, 2006, 02:36 PM NHFT
Will I still be able to do this in NH? Are there any tracks in NH?

http://blog.magenic.com/seans/gallery/1.aspx

;D ;D ;D

mvpel

Quote from: Seamas on November 21, 2006, 07:48 PM NHFTThe only thing I'd add about weather is to be careful riding over leaves in the fall, especially when they are wet.

Don't forget about the remnants of winter traction sand in the spring, too - it usually takes them to about July or August to sweep it.

SeanSchade

Thanks for info guys. I sold my race bike earlier this year to pay for the one I crashed...long story.  ;D

I moved to the track after WAY too many close calls riding like an idiot in the mountains.  ;D

I'll either pick up a V-Rod when I get up there if I'm feeling sensible, or the new Ducati Hyper Motard if the hooligan in me takes over!

Seamas

Nice, that's an honest way of explaining why many racers I knew didn't ride on the street "because it's too dangerous".  More likely this meant "because I ride like an idiot" and go balls out on the streets - therefore it's dangerous.  Anyway, I think it's a great idea for anyone who's mastered the basics of street riding to get some track time and push things a bit.  Taking my R90/5 on the track exposed its weaknesses (and mine) in ways that I rarely saw on the street.  I really look forward to riding at Louden again on a more capable ride. 

Hmmm, V-Rod vs. Ducati Motard is quite a choice.  If there could be a compromise maybe a Buell Ulysses?

I'm glad that some of us future NH residents are riders - freedom isn't just about politics.
Quote from: SeanSchade on November 22, 2006, 12:04 PM NHFT
Thanks for info guys. I sold my race bike earlier this year to pay for the one I crashed...long story.  ;D

I moved to the track after WAY too many close calls riding like an idiot in the mountains.  ;D

I'll either pick up a V-Rod when I get up there if I'm feeling sensible, or the new Ducati Hyper Motard if the hooligan in me takes over!

SeanSchade

LOL...yeah, most racers have pretty good stories to tell about dumb days on the road!

We should organize a little ride when the weather gets warmer.

The Buell looks like a nice piece of kit!