• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Concord Moron?

Started by Dreepa, May 19, 2006, 10:40 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Ok I responded.  But I already submitted an LTE early today about the councilwoman in Concord who is asking for an income tax... (who the fuck wants an income tax?)

My letter:

I am writing in response to Bernard Ash' LTE.
I think you have it right in your first paragraph. 'Those who obey the laws are not the cause of gun crimes. It's those who don't obey those laws.'  So why would you punish people who have firearms and use them for legal purposes?

You mention 116,000 people were killed by guns in the US in 1996.  I could find no sources to back that claim. I did find a source, Violence Policy Center, that stated it was 1/3 that number. Be that as it may, you need to go back to the statement you wrote. 'It's those who don't obey those laws.' 

You want to government to protect us?  We have something called the Bill of Rights.  We have the second amendment that states we have the right to bear arms.  I assume you would like the government to do away with this.  They just might go along. We already know that the government doesn't care about the Constitution.  The NSA is spying on people for 'our safety'.   Bernard, what other rights do you want to give up to the government? Be careful what we ask the government to do... they just might do it.

aries

Japan had 96 gun murders in 96?

Damn, the Yakuza must like knives or something better.

aries

How's this, haven't sent it yet, want someone to proofread first:

RE: Bernard Ash: "Melt down the guns"

Bernard... you know who wanted to melt down the guns? The redcoats during the American revolution. The Chinese government when their police are stomping on the heads of Falun Gong members. Saddam Hussein's government when their POLICE and MILITARY were herding the Kurds into gas chambers. The Japanese government when they are performing their yearly "contraband" check in EACH citizen's home. These aren't free countries. Why? Because their governments arent afraid of their people.

As good old Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." That makes a lot of sense to me. America is still has enjoyed over 200 years as the freest nation in the world because our government has a lot to fear by repressing us citizens. They have to fear a fight with a group of hundreds of thousands of gun owners, who will only use their guns against others in times of great crisis - self-defense from a rapist trying to eliminate a witness, or defense from their own government, should it attempt tyranny, or totalitarianism.

Forget your silly notions that without guns, we can still be free. The US Government is only respectful of the peoples' rights because most of us won't just bark, we will BITE when they try and take them away, if need be.

If you want to live in a gun free society, go live in Britain. We won't miss you here in the free state of New Hampshire.

Dreepa

: )

Nice... I like it better than mine.

aries

Here's my final draft with a few minor edits.. If someone can keep an eye out for it in the print edition, since I don't live in their area, Thanks

RE: Bernard Ash: "Melt down the guns"

Bernard... you know who wanted to melt down the guns? The redcoats during the American revolution. The Chinese government when their police are stomping on the heads of Falun Gong members. Saddam Hussein's government when their POLICE and MILITARY, two forces that you seem to trust for your protection, were herding the Kurds into gas chambers. The Japanese government when they are performing their yearly "contraband" check in each citizen's home. These aren't free countries. Why? Because their governments arent afraid of their people.

As good old Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." That makes a lot of sense to me. America is still has enjoyed over 200 years as the freest nation in the world because our government has a lot to fear by repressing us citizens. They have to fear a fight with a group of hundreds of thousands of gun owners, who will only use their guns against others in times of great crisis - self-defense from a rapist trying to eliminate a witness, or defense from their own government, should it attempt tyranny, or totalitarianism.

Forget your silly notions that without guns, we can still be free. The US Government is only respectful of the peoples' rights because most of us won't just bark, we will BITE when they try and take them away, if need be.

If you want to live in a gun free society, go live in Britain. We won't miss you here in the free state of New Hampshire.

Dreepa

Quote from: aries on May 19, 2006, 03:24 PM NHFT
Here's my final draft with a few minor edits.. If someone can keep an eye out for it in the print edition, since I don't live in their area, Thanks

I get the paper...  I will keep you posted.

burnthebeautiful

Why doesn't Bernard instead ask what the New Hampshire gun murder rate is, since that's what's relevant? A quick Google search revealed this document. I don't quite understand this document. It claims to be "fighting the epidemic of gun injury and death", but it's doing so by providing statistics that prove that gun injury and death are almost non-existant.

Quotehttp://www.psr.org/documents/psr_doc_0/program_2/new_hampshire.pdf

In 2001 29,573 persons were killed with a firearm in the United States; 91 were residents of New Hampshire.

In 2001 16,869 persons committed suicide with a firearm in the United States; 79
were residents of New Hampshire.

In 2001 11,348 persons died from firearm homicides in
the United States; 9 were residents of New
Hampshire.

In 2001 802 persons died from unintentional
firearm deaths in the United States; 3 were residents
of New Hampshire.

Women are disproportionately affected by firearm
violence. In 1998 in New Hampshire, 1 woman was
killed with a handgun, while no woman used a
handgun to kill in self-defense.

Nationally there are 104,840 federally licensed firearm
dealers and pawnbrokers. There are 8 times the
number of firearm dealers as McDonald?s franchises
in America. In New Hampshire, there are 740 firearm dealers and pawnbrokers.

It starts off by saying 91 people were killed with a gun, which sounds kind of high, but then it quickly goes on to say that 79 of these were suicides, and 3 were accidental. So only 9 people were killed with a firearm in 2001, and the article doesn't specify how many of these people were commiting a crime at the time they were shot.

Otosan

Japan had 96 gun murders in 96?

Damn, the Yakuza must like knives or something better.

After Japan had surrender, Gen MacArthur along with the military, confiscated all the hand guns and made owning one illegal.  The only legal weapon a Japanese can own is a Shotgun.

So 96 gun murders is a lot for a country without guns.....

Caleb

Just as a clarification, I don't think Saddam used anything as sophisticated as "gas chambers".  His gassing of the kurds was a relatively low tech:  bombs filled with gas that exploded, spraying the gas all over the countryside.  Nothing really naziesque about it.  Just another thug, killing people.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on May 19, 2006, 03:26 PM NHFT
Maybe you should stop reading that paper .... it seems to get your blood boiling. You are feeding the guys that drive you crazy. :(

Tunga

aries

Quote from: Tunga on May 19, 2006, 10:11 PM NHFT
"America is still"

Good one Matt.

AKA, the new improved torch bearer.
:blush:

Pat McCotter

Your LTE is in today's CM Viewpoints section, Matt. Sunday letters don't seem to make it online quickly if at all.

Dreepa

Quote from: russellkanning on May 20, 2006, 12:41 AM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on May 19, 2006, 03:26 PM NHFT
Maybe you should stop reading that paper .... it seems to get your blood boiling. You are feeding the guys that drive you crazy. :(

;D ;D ;D
But seeing Matt's LTE brought a smile to my face.. Also I have been contacting other people who write LTEs.

It seems that many of the anti Bush people are very pro Dems... They can't see that both sides are evil.