• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

So I was thinking...

Started by Soundwave, May 22, 2006, 10:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 28, 2006, 09:16 AM NHFT
I am not a fan of telling business what to pay their workers, in NH it is really a non-issue.
But, in other states if it wasn't for minimum wage people would be worse off.
I lived down south and the only way my employer would pay me more than minimum wage was if it went up. Life there is very different than it is here and if you have never lived it you just can't understand the impact it has.  No benefits, $100/wk to live on, and if your lucky a jar of peanut butter to eat.

Actually minimum wage laws were first lobbied for by northern businesses so that the south would half to compete "fairly" with them. It was largely a round-about inter-state tariff. Many blacks and unskilled workers down south became unemployed overnight as a result of these laws.

IF their were no minumum wage laws, people would move to where demand for labor was higher. thereby lessening supply of labor and pushing up wages in places where they are low.

Tracy

ravelkinbow

The thing is how do you move when you have no money to do it with..

tracysaboe

Well, if people have less money, there's also going to be less demand for things. Which means that prices in places like that are also likely to be cheeper then places where everybody has lots of money.

Tracy

ravelkinbow

but how do they get better jobs to take better care of their families if they can't move to where the good jobs are and can only get 100/wk where they are now...it's a never ending battle for them.

The only reason we got out was with help from family.

Pat McCotter

Just like the immigrants do - a breadwinner moves to the better income area, finds a low-cost housing situation, works and sends money home. Money gets saved for the move. Yes, it works.

tracysaboe

Quote from: ravelkinbow on May 29, 2006, 12:05 PM NHFT
The only reason we got out was with help from family.

As it should work.

Tracy