• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom Oriented Library

Started by Kat Kanning, June 05, 2006, 05:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Jack Shimek announced at the MVP meeting that he's starting a freedom oriented library in Amherst.  Sounds like it's going to be very cool!  I'm going to be gathering up books that I want to lend or donate to the library to help them get started.  I don't think he's quite set the criteria on what types of books he wants, but I got the impression that libertarian type books would be welcome, along with any on the general theme of seeking to increase knowledge.  Sounded like he was going to try and have a big announcement of it at PorcFest and maybe take some book donations there.

Russell Kanning

Jack is going to set up a group to discuss plans.

ravelkinbow

sounds like a great idea, is it going to be liberty or libertarian only?

Kat Kanning

dead_hobbit

Maybe we should set up a list of suggested authors?

Here's a few to start:

Michael Badnarik
Leo Tolstoy
Dr. Thomas Szasz
John R. Lott, Jr.
*Anything* from CATO or Reason

Kat Kanning

Considering all the interest in self-suffiency, maybe there can be a section on that.

Kat Kanning

And a spelling books section.   :-\

Recumbent ReCycler

I may be willing to donate and/or loan some books.  Some are very rare though, and no longer in print.  Some are restricted in some way or another.  :icon_pirat:

Kat Kanning

Atlas

How about an Alex Jones/ David Icke section? ;)

Kat Kanning

tracysaboe

ravelkinbow

jaqeboy

I just learned about this thread, so let me post a few things of interest about the library project:

The idea has been brewing for many years and several of the pieces are finally coming together after many high hopes and false starts. I'm very encouraged, in fact, overwhelmed, by the positive reaction to the preliminary announcement of this project. I had envisioned a Board of Advisors of 5 people and I thought it would be difficult to assemble that many. After announcing the project at the last MVP meeting and making the plea for help, there were 11 volunteers (several others not present had also asked to be included). We did start a private list for our meetings and also realize that too big of a board will make it difficult to reach any decisions, so please don't feel left out if we do not invite others onto the list or the board at this time - there will be other opportunities as, I'm sure, the board membership will rotate.

Our gathering of seekers (seekersociety.org) has had as a mission since our beginning to grow to play an important role in enhancing knowledge and developing wisdom, within a society that is  experiencing a meltdown of some institutions.

Some background: We've witnessed a concern about availability of some materials and a concern that some books may disappear from other library shelves. We've observed a generosity in people to share their knowledge and even, yes, their precious books (and other materials, audio, video, etc.). With our mission in mind, we have pursued a library project conceptually for several years and with the generosity of ourselves and others, and a growing base of interest, we think the time to actualize our vision has come. We also, fortuitously, have located a facility with a friendly owner and reasonable terms.

So, the library will be under the care and custody of the seekers, with the generous help of others in an advisory capacity and volunteer staffing. This private library will offer memberships and will accept donations and loans of materials from benefactors wanting their materials to be shared with others, as long as they are safe, secure and properly cared for. We have had generous offers of materials and ask all to have patience while we renovate the facility (which will also be available for meeting space - separate announcement at PorcFest and on lists) before we can accept materials.

We will have an advanced cataloging system with many very interesting features (which we rely on volunteer technical staff to implement). All will be announced on our site, which we will also announce at the PorcFest.

As we all have many interests, many subjects will be represented. We may not have the space to carry some materials that are easily accessible elsewhere (such as current best sellers), but we will want to carry some subjects where materials are hard-to-find and we will rely on you, our potential benefactors and members to make suggestions or share your own materials. We will have a more secure "reference" section for materials that are not to be loaned out or are to receive special precautions in handling.

I will note all the suggestions for operations, cataloging, subjects, etc. that I see on this list or elsewhere, so "bring 'em on" and we will implement everything that we are able to with our space, staffing and financial limitations.

Look for an announcement at PorcFest (we'll have a packet-stuffer if we can complete everything in time - anyone know the deadline for this?).

Thanks for your interest and we hope to see you at our open house to be held in late summer/early September time frame.

Jack

FTL_Ian