• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Homemade, not storebought

Started by cathleeninnh, June 05, 2006, 10:43 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Recumbent ReCycler

Most of my guns I bought before I had the tools needed to build my own.  Also, there aren't blueprints and parts kits for most guns out there.  I enjoy collecting firearms.  I usually take them apart soon after I buy them so that I can figure out how they work.  Having a factory built AK type rifle makes it easier to put together a home built one because if you're not sure where something goes, you can check the factory built one.  I sometimes purchase unique guns so that I can study them and figure out how they work.  Some factory guns are extremely difficult to reproduce with basic machine tools, while others can be made quite easily.  I would like to get my hands on an M14 because I haven't found blueprints for them, they are fine firearms, and I would like to copy it's parts and try to build a custom one in .338/308.  Sometimes I get ideas from brand name guns.  For instance, my KelTec is a well designed little pistol, but without having one in my possession, I wouldn't be able to use the ideas I got from studying it.  You can only learn so much from books and pictures.  I took one of my first pistols, which used to jam a lot and had mediocre accuracy, and made some slight modifications, which made it very reliable and fairly accurate.  I think it's best to have both purchased and homemade guns.  Nobody has to have a record of your homemade gun, so even if the feds started confiscating guns, your homemade gun could be kept hidden where nobody will find it for when you really need it.

Lex

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on June 06, 2006, 12:09 PM NHFT
Nobody has to have a record of your homemade gun, so even if the feds started confiscating guns, your homemade gun could be kept hidden where nobody will find it for when you really need it.

What could be worse then the feds busting into your house to take your guns?

Kat Kanning

Them busting in to torture or kill you.

bailey228

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11  fantastic forum for anything any everything natural for yourself or your home. If you ask for a natural alternative to something they know it. Also http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=316 for off the grid living discussions.

cathleeninnh

Quote from: bailey228 on June 06, 2006, 01:19 PM NHFT
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11  fantastic forum for anything any everything natural for yourself or your home. If you ask for a natural alternative to something they know it. Also http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=316 for off the grid living discussions.

I will have to check it out.

I tried natural hair care this morning. Several weeks ago I bought (at my daughter's suggestion as she continually tries to steer me away from simple living) some Frizz-Ease. The results were pretty good, but the thought of having to keep buying it grates on my sensibilities. Last night, we had omelets for supper and I usually throw away most of the yolks. Remembering from my reading that eggs make a pretty good conditioner, I kept them.

So this morning, I smeared my hair with beaten egg yolks and then wrapped my head in a cup towel. Remember cup towels? Maybe it is just an old Texas term. A half hour later, I rinsed in the sink and then final rinse with a half vinegar, half warm water solution and toweled it dry.

Now that it is dry, I can say it feels as good or better than after the Frizz-Ease. The only problem is it was a bit of a mess doing. Standing in the shower with a bottle of chemicals is easier.

Cathleen

Kat Kanning

I think we really need a photo, next time you do this.   ;D

KBCraig

cathleeninnh

How humiliating to be caught with egg on your face.

Cathleen

bailey228

Quote from: cathleeninnh on June 15, 2006, 10:48 AM NHFT
I tried natural hair care this morning. Several weeks ago I bought (at my daughter's suggestion as she continually tries to steer me away from simple living) some Frizz-Ease. The results were pretty good, but the thought of having to keep buying it grates on my sensibilities. Last night, we had omelets for supper and I usually throw away most of the yolks. Remembering from my reading that eggs make a pretty good conditioner, I kept them.

So this morning, I smeared my hair with beaten egg yolks and then wrapped my head in a cup towel. Remember cup towels? Maybe it is just an old Texas term. A half hour later, I rinsed in the sink and then final rinse with a half vinegar, half warm water solution and toweled it dry.

Now that it is dry, I can say it feels as good or better than after the Frizz-Ease. The only problem is it was a bit of a mess doing. Standing in the shower with a bottle of chemicals is easier.

Cathleen

The problem with frizz-eaze (and other hair "moisturizing/smoothing" products) is that they contain alcohol and/or silicone. It will tempoarily make your hair feel better but it is actually drying it out, making it then require more applications. All too convienant for the ones making this stuff. Oh they do the same thing with shampoos and body soaps, they remove the glycerin (what draws the moisture to your skin/hair) then resell it to you as conditioner or lotion. Real soap is both gentle and moisturizing. I use handmade soap now and I don't have to use conditioner or lotion anymore and since I stopped washing my face and using olive oil to moisturize it, it stopped breaking out. All those products are a scam.

Money Dollars

Quote from: Defender of Liberty on June 06, 2006, 11:24 AM NHFT
I have the tooling required for making an AK47 receiver from sheet metal, and for riveting a parts set on.
Do you have a jig for bending AK receiver flats?
I have a few I need to bend.....

QuoteA 1911 is pretty easy to build from a kit.
I'd like to build one of those......Have you built one?

tracysaboe

Quote from: bailey228 on July 04, 2006, 10:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: cathleeninnh on June 15, 2006, 10:48 AM NHFT

Cathleen

The problem with frizz-eaze (and other hair "moisturizing/smoothing" products) is that they contain alcohol and/or silicone. It will tempoarily make your hair feel better but it is actually drying it out, making it then require more applications. All too convienant for the ones making this stuff. Oh they do the same thing with shampoos and body soaps, they remove the glycerin (what draws the moisture to your skin/hair) then resell it to you as conditioner or lotion. Real soap is both gentle and moisturizing. I use handmade soap now and I don't have to use conditioner or lotion anymore and since I stopped washing my face and using olive oil to moisturize it, it stopped breaking out. All those products are a scam.

Oh God. Amy bought Friz-Ease one time. And I couldn't hug her w/o getting sick and feeling dizy and nausious. Considering how much hair she has (it goes past her waist) I was litterally allergic to my own wife for a day untill she rewashed it with Sauve. That was a lot of waisted money.

TRacy

cathleeninnh

Well, I am at it again. This time with body products.  :D

I have experimented with body scrubs and treatments. Things like, oatmeal, avocado, more eggs. Can't say I was any more impressed with them than I was with the egg in hair. But this morning I am in heaven. Almost as good as inorganic body treatments.  ;)

This one is the easiest and the cheapest. You know me. Equal parts sugar and canola oil. About a quarter cup of each. Took it into the shower and well, you can figure the rest out. No more winter dry skin.

Cathleen

Kat Kanning

Awww, and you're so sweet now, too!

Lloyd Danforth

doesn't make you slide out of your clothes?

cathleeninnh