• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Official Underground House Thread.

Started by tracysaboe, June 06, 2006, 02:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

tracysaboe

Quote from: fourthgeek on June 06, 2006, 11:42 AM NHFT
How does one keep an underground house from...flooding? I get the impression that it might be hard to find every single possible hole...especially if you're using a rusty old bus!

You need to make sure the aquafer level never gets above the ground level of your house. Otherwise you need an expensive energy sucking sump-pump during periods of high aquafer levels.  Otherthen that. Good waterproofing. I'm not planing on using a bus. I'm planing on actually building it.Many materials are already waterproof -- then you just put waterproofing materials over it, and they actually last quite a long time.

There are even technologies for dealing with the frost line, that aren't expensive.

TRacy

tracysaboe

Thanks Marcy.

The real problem with underground houses is the lateral stress -- and I'm really not sure that these designs wouldn't callapse under the constant pressure purshing against the side. (Sometimes as high as 200 pounds/square inch or so.)

But perhaps you could modify it.

TRacy

Lex

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 06, 2006, 10:08 PM NHFT
Thanks Marcy.
The real problem with underground houses is the lateral stress -- and I'm really not sure that these designs wouldn't callapse under the constant pressure purshing against the side. (Sometimes as high as 200 pounds/square inch or so.)

All depends on what you use as a filler around the foundation. If you just fill in with dirt and water builds up it'll be A LOT more than 200 psi, possibly even into the thousands... Expanding water can easily break through concrete. That's why "frost heaves" are so common in NH and it's not unheardof of basement walls bulging due to poor drainage and freezing temp.

Anyways, i don't think there is a general number for pressure exterted on a basement because it can vary widely based on the soil, fill, temperature and drainage.

Lex

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 06, 2006, 10:00 PM NHFT
I don't know that I'd want to grow my own food, or have my own water, but if it could be done with-out too much more hassle, I could think about it.

Were do you plan to get your water? By "your own" do you mean not from a well or water catchment system?

Pat K

I know these are not cheap but if you are looking for low energy and great strength, you can bury them check out

monolithicdomes.com

KBCraig

A better way to break out of design problems is to stop thinking "underground", and start thinking "earth sheltered". If you reduce the amount of excavation, and instead fill in on and around the home, you can achieve just as much thermal mass. And, have fewer worries about water infiltration, hitting "ledge", etc.

Or, think of it this way: scrape down to ledge, build the house, and then bury it.

This gives you even greater control over the shape of the roof and exterior, so that you have as much water shedding as possible. Water will always win: waterproofing only delays the inevitable. Instead of fighting it with brute force, gently redirect it. Water will go where it wants to go, so offer a more desirable path away from your walls.

And, because even water is fickle, french-drain the heck out of everything, just in case.

Kevin

Lex

You can't beat ledge for a solid foundation!  ;D

Lex

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 07, 2006, 08:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 06, 2006, 11:52 PM NHFTWere do you plan to get your water? By "your own" do you mean not from a well or water catchment system?

I think he is planning to build his underground house in downtown Manchester.

That'll go real well with the local nazis authorities.

Dreepa

In Hopkinton there is an underground house.  Actually it might only be about 1/2 underground.  It is pretty cool looking.
It is about 1/2 mile from where I live.

I told my son that mole people live in it.

Lex

I did a quick check on realtor.com for properties in manchester and the prices are  :o An acre or less can go for $500k-$1m. You can buy 50 acres for that and build a nice house somewhere a bit farther from the city AND get piece of mind that when the shit hits the fan every resident in the city won't be at your door trying to take your food.

tracysaboe

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 06, 2006, 11:52 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on June 06, 2006, 10:00 PM NHFT
I don't know that I'd want to grow my own food, or have my own water, but if it could be done with-out too much more hassle, I could think about it.

Were do you plan to get your water? By "your own" do you mean not from a well or water catchment system?

I was thinking about just piping in City water.

Is it relatively easy to have your own water source in NH? I guess I'm in the midwest, with relatively little rainfall so it's really a lot more economical to pay somebody else then to do it yourself.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 07, 2006, 08:27 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 06, 2006, 11:52 PM NHFTWere do you plan to get your water? By "your own" do you mean not from a well or water catchment system?

I think he is planning to build his underground house in downtown Manchester.

LOL

Grafton

TRacy

Dreepa

Tracy,

Many towns don't have water.  Esp in the places were you are going to homestead you are more likely to have a well.
Well are very common.  Very.

Lex

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 07, 2006, 12:07 PM NHFT
Grafton

There is no city water in grafton there is also no sewage system or garbage pickup.

tracysaboe

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 07, 2006, 10:22 AM NHFT
I did a quick check on realtor.com for properties in manchester and the prices are  :o An acre or less can go for $500k-$1m. You can buy 50 acres for that and build a nice house somewhere a bit farther from the city AND get piece of mind that when the shit hits the fan every resident in the city won't be at your door trying to take your food.

Exactly why I'm not moving to a major urban area :)

TRacy