• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The Official Underground House Thread.

Started by tracysaboe, June 06, 2006, 02:20 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 07, 2006, 12:09 PM NHFT
I'm not moving to a major urban area :)
TRacy
Then you will probably have a well. Plus you don't want to suck off the government do you?

tracysaboe

Quote from: Dreepa on June 07, 2006, 12:08 PM NHFT
Tracy,

Many towns don't have water.  Esp in the places were you are going to homestead you are more likely to have a well.
Well are very common.  Very.

Well, OK.

I just didn't know much about it.  If it's fairly common, then maybe I should just use well water.  Or water collection.

How is the aquafer in New Hampshire? Is it so plentifull that it's just part of the commons and people don't worry about overusing it? Or are their aquafer rights I'd need to purchase to use well-water. I'm sure all of my neighbors would be using water from the same aquafer. Forgive me. I'm originally from Idaho where these sorts of water rights are very important to negatiate if your a homesteader, because if it were common property their wouldn't be any aquafer left.

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on June 07, 2006, 12:09 PM NHFT

There is no city water in grafton there is also no sewage system or garbage pickup.

Thanks Lex. Well, I suppose if everybody in Grafton does their own sewage and water, It must not be that difficult. Perhaps I will do my own water and sewage.

Tracy

Lex

Quote from: tracysaboe on June 07, 2006, 12:18 PM NHFT
Thanks Lex. Well, I suppose if everybody in Grafton does their own sewage and water, It must not be that difficult. Perhaps I will do my own water and sewage.

It is difficult and requires maintenance. But you have no choice.

Russell Kanning

Do we need a dome thread?

http://www.monolithic.com/thedome/index.html

Kat even knows a guy that works there in Italy TX ..... pronounced itlee :)

FrankChodorov

My friend Storm Bear who incidently ran for the Reform Party's presidential nomination against Pat Buchanan came up with a nifty idea called "Hobbit Holes" which use very large concrete pipes to construct an underground house...

http://www.stormbear.com/bagend2/index.php

excerpt:
All around the world, companies manufacture pre-formed concrete pipe... LARGE concrete pipe. Concrete pipe has several advantages for making Hobbit Holes. They come with an assortment of flanges, protrusions and options that allows for the creation of windows, skylights, doors, garages, fireplaces and chimneys.

As one can see, using such materials for the construction of a Hobbit Hole would make for a comfy home. Or at least a conversation piece.

Although the elliptical may have some aesthetic advantages, the use of round concrete pipe may be the best choice. The main reason is that you will need to have room to place plumbing, ventilation, electrical and communication hardware though out the Hole.

The best solution for this is the area under your flooring. The best example of this type of construction is in naval architecture with sailboats. Plan all of your plumbing, ventilation and wiring, then figure out how much space you will need, vertically. Maybe the use of multiple styles, circular for halls and elliptical for rooms, is the best idea. The halls would need the most space for plumbing, etc as all rooms connect to it. That is the design philosophy I have used for Bag End 2.

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on June 13, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT
Kat even knows a guy that works there in Italy TX ..... pronounced itlee :)

I'm from Arkansas, so I understand. Stuttgart is "STUTT-gahrt", not "SHTOOT-gaert". Glen Campbell is from "DEE-light", not Delight. Dierks is "derks" to people not from there, "dayrks" to those who are, and "derricks" to those who aren't, but learned the pronunciation from those who are.

I'm was born in DeQueen, which is "duh-QUEEN" if you're trying to not sound ignernt, or "DEE-queen" if you just don't care.

Yoccana is "yockiny". Talihina, OK is "tal-uh-hay-nee". Zafra, OK is "zafrey". Don't ask me to explain. I'll roll with the flow that those who live there are entitled to decide proper pronunciation.

Kevin

tracysaboe

What's the aquifer level typically in NH?

Is the terain typically fairly hilly so you can build into the side of a hill if the aquafer level is too high?

Tracy

Russell Kanning

indeedpossible

I have a lot of info on this, and a similar dream (not in NH, but probably New England - Maine?)

Check out http://www.Earthship.org for one - that's where I started. The places are beautiful. And if you look on YouTube, you can find a nice video about the places, one of them that's been built, and really good walkthroughs.

As for other info, check out my archive at

http://www.overlookedcreations.com/archive/skills/architecture_and_building

Take care, and if you want, I can zip and send you ALL the info I have on solar stuff (it's a lot - won't fit on my server).

nf1

tracysaboe

Thanks!

I PMed you my e-mail adress.

Tracy

Michael Fisher

If anyone makes an underground home/complex, keep some room for me and I'll join you there in a few years.  ;) It needs to be near the Dartmouth area and a state prison and/or local jail. This will aid in my ultimate plan for liberty that will commence at that time. :plotting:

Russell Kanning

Maybe by the time you get back we won't have jails anymore.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 28, 2006, 12:08 AM NHFT
Maybe by the time you get back we won't have jails anymore.

That would be nice.  :) If it were only that easy!

Gandhi needed 40 years and countless efforts to defeat the British through nonviolence.