• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Surviving PorcFest '06

Started by Lex, June 06, 2006, 01:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

I would like to start a thread on ideas for how we can use the upcoming porcfest to share and practice some self-sufficiency/survivalism. This is mostly for those who will be sleeping in tents.

So, my first question:

I don't have a tent and need to buy one for PorcFest, any recommendations, suggestions? Anyone really like theirs? Any tents we should steer clear of?

Pat K

Like to help but this is my first time camping in about 25 years, so if you see a screwed up camp site and hear cursing its me.

Fluff and Stuff

The cheapest way to get a decent tent is to go to a discount retailer and buy a big tent for very little and two water proof tarps.  Put one under the tent and hang the other one from trees above the tent.  I prefer small, expensive hiking tents, but I doubt you are looking for that.

Lex

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on June 06, 2006, 01:38 PM NHFT
I prefer small, expensive hiking tents, but I doubt you are looking for that.

Actually that's what I'm looking for... I mean I've gone camping lots of times, even week long biking trips, etc. I just don't own a tent and don't have a good idea of what's out there. Are there any brands that are particularly good?

I would like to buy something of quality but not spend a fortune of course. What tent do you have?

aries

Hmm I'll be just commuting to a few porcfest events. I'm too close to stay there.

Fluff and Stuff

I am not very informed on this but I bought my tent from http://www.sierratradingpost.com  They sell low and high quality tents (and tons of other camping gear that I like) that are a few years old (not used) at discounted prices.  My tent is a Marmot, but they are famous for making sleeping bags...

If you want the top of the line tents, backpacker mag gives reviews of the newest products, http://www.backpacker.com/gear/tents/0,4035,,00.html
and others http://www.backpacker.com/gear/reviews/tents/0,3430,,00.html

It might be a good idea to go into a local outdoors store (I know they are all over NH).  Ask them to look at a couple top of the line tents.  Then go online and search the web for similar cheaper products.

Lex

Quote from: aries on June 06, 2006, 02:30 PM NHFT
Hmm I'll be just commuting to a few porcfest events. I'm too close to stay there.

We're 2 and a half hours away according to google maps, are you closer?

We thought about comuting but decided that 5 hours in the car per day, times 3 is 15 hours to many!!!

Otosan

Depending on the style of camping you do (car or backpacking) would dictate the type of tent you need.

I do car camping for several days at a time, so my ideal tent would be one that is tall enough for me to stand in and would hold one or two more people than I plan on camping with.

fourthgeek

Make sure your tent is not too big, because one of the functions of a camp is to trap in heat. It should be just big enough for its inhabitants to wiggle around in while having a decent amount of air space.

Of course, if you're going for real survivalism, you'd forage around Porcfest and build your own lean-to or tent.

Lloyd Danforth

Lex, One of my objections to camping in the past was:  if you we're inside, you we're kneeling, sitting or lying down.
I borrowed a dome tent with two wings when I went to Porcfest the summer before last.  The tent was pretty cheap.  It has a dome that I can easily stand up in and two wings for beds or your stuff.  I set up a small table with chairs in my dome and keep the bedin one wing and gear in the other.

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 06, 2006, 05:27 PM NHFT
Lex, One of my objections to camping in the past was:  if you we're inside, you we're kneeling, sitting or lying down.
I borrowed a dome tent with two wings when I went to Porcfest the summer before last.  The tent was pretty cheap.  It has a dome that I can easily stand up in and two wings for beds or your stuff.  I set up a small table with chairs in my dome and keep the bedin one wing and gear in the other.

brand?

Pat K

Yeah a tent you can stand in is a must I think, I'M not worried about trapping heat thats what a sleeping bag is for.

I got a Eureka equinox 6 not cheap but if im gonna be in it almost 2 weeks I want space and weather protection. Pluse I plan to use it to stay over in camps down in the Keene area alot. Unless it turns out I just hate tenting, in wich case some one will get a nice tent at a good price.

I will have enough room for a full size blow up bed, some of you folks back might still be good enough to sleep on the ground, mine is not and I know no one wants to try and pull me up in the morning. A table chair, and shelter for my as Lloyd puts it "enormas fucking cooler" :)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Pat K on June 06, 2006, 06:02 PM NHFT
Yeah a tent you can stand in is a must I think

You people are the worst campers ever  ;D

Pat K

Quote from: Keith and Stuff on June 06, 2006, 09:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on June 06, 2006, 06:02 PM NHFT
Yeah a tent you can stand in is a must I think

You people are the worst campers ever  ;D

Thanks,  is there a prize for that?

Pat K

You know the hardest part of packing for the camping trip is getting those coils of razor wire and land mines to fit in the car.