• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

10 flagrant grammar mistakes that make you look stupid

Started by Kat Kanning, June 07, 2006, 07:27 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Well, what about "evacuate"? Is a building evacuated of people or are people evacuated from a building?

Lex

Quote from: Pat McCotter on June 07, 2006, 07:26 PM NHFT
Well, what about "evacuate"? Is a building evacuated of people or are people evacuated from a building?

people are evacuated from a building

Lloyd Danforth

I'm going with Lex on all things Grammatical.  He probably learned it after us, probably as an adult and paid attention....and ........still has his books.

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on June 07, 2006, 09:22 PM NHFT
I'm going with Lex on all things Grammatical.  He probably learned it after us, probably as an adult and paid attention....and ........still has his books.

LOL!  ;D

I don't have any books, I just google everything :-)

But I went to public school and did fail english two years in a row...

Pat McCotter

Scientifically speaking, one evacuates a jar to create a vacuum in it. That tells me that "evacuate" means "to empty". So understanding this use I get a very weird picture in my head when I hear a news story saying "200 people were evacuated in Denver today."

cathleeninnh

Pat McCotter

No, I'm picturing the process of emptying not the result of being emptied. :-X

Lloyd Danforth

My mother's complaint was how come you can say drink, drank, drunk, but, not think, thank, thunk.

Kat Kanning

Lex

We should just start our own language! One that's actually consistent and makes sense!

Would be nice to use english as a basis but it's kinda hard to work with in the sense that it's so unstructured, it'd need A LOT of work to make it consistent...

Kat Kanning

Lex

Quote from: katdillon on June 08, 2006, 09:29 AM NHFT
Esperanto?

That would be ideal but I personally don't like the way that language sounds... heh.