• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Border Patrol checkpoint on I-93 south of Lincoln

Started by aries, June 14, 2006, 02:36 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

My father came back from Concord about an hour ago, and he informs me that going south on I-93, the US Border Patrol had a large checkpoint set up, on the highway and some exits, where they stopped each car to check ID, and ask questions about citizenship, the purpose and destination of your trip, et cetera.

This was only on the southbound side, about 5 miles past Lincoln.

They had a few people sitting on the side of the road with cars pulled over, being searched.

I heard all this first hand from my father

KBCraig

I need to do some research into how NH treats federal LEOs. If they don't have any statutory authority from the state to stop motorists, then a big "FU" is in order.

... along with a call to 9-1-1 about possible "blue light bandits", since they're trying to stop cars, but they're not NH LEOs.  >:D

Kevin

aries

Quote from: KBCraig on June 14, 2006, 03:22 PM NHFT
I need to do some research into how NH treats federal LEOs. If they don't have any statutory authority from the state to stop motorists, then a big "FU" is in order.

... along with a call to 9-1-1 about possible "blue light bandits", since they're trying to stop cars, but they're not NH LEOs.  >:D

Kevin

There were state police there as well detaining people for non-federal violations (probably drugs) and checking inspection stickers, and running plates. The BP was most likely referring the state police to people that were in violation of state law, my father says.

They might have the authority to stop motorists on a federal highway, or at least could argue such in court, since it is funded federally.

Dave Ridley

To complain about state police involvement in this, you can call

Colonel Frederick H. Booth
Director
Division of State Police
Department of Safety
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305
603-271-3636

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, the immigration checkpoint has been on I 91 south in VT just north of the White River Junction exit for a couple of years now off and on. The same crap has been going on in the southwest for 15 years at least. Welcome to Amerika.

KBCraig

Lincoln is 90 miles from the border crossing at Derby, VT. Unlike some of the interior checkpoints in Texas, there are at least dozens (perhaps hundreds) of alternate routes around a checkpoint on I-93 south of Lincoln.

This was not an immigration checkpoint. It was a compliance check.  :angry4:

PowerPenguin

Kat Kanning

Compliance check?  Compliance with something in particular, or compliance in general?

Russell Kanning

Coming back from shortyfest will be interesting. Maybe we will just go around.

ravelkinbow

Or create a caravan and if one gets pulled over, everyone stop and of course have our cameras rolling :-)

or we could just go around...LOL

KBCraig

Quote from: katdillon on June 15, 2006, 05:15 AM NHFT
Compliance check?  Compliance with something in particular, or compliance in general?

A check of people's willingness to be compliant.

Atlas

I think I'm getting sick after reading this thread.

aries

I suspect somebody blew the border in Derby (happens accidentally alot, because of constant I-91 construction), and they also set a roadblock up in Vermont. If they couldn't get BP out there for an hour, say, it would make sense that it would be a long distance south of the border, because they would have travelled pretty far.

I just don't like the idea of citizens being stopped for no reason, then detained because they were caught breaking other laws. That violates the principles of probable cause.

aries

It is still there as of today. Someone in the store asked me about it. (I'm a clerk there)

Kat Kanning