• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Herbs

Started by AlanM, June 15, 2006, 09:40 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

I bought 2 books on herbs recently and have been studying them. I never knew much about using herbs as medicines. One of the things about the SHTF is the possiblity that medicines may not be available. Herbs can suffice for a wide variety of medicines, and herbs can be kept in storage indefinitely.

Kat Kanning

I like raw garlic and oil of oregano.

AlanM

Quote from: lawofattraction on June 15, 2006, 01:13 PM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on June 15, 2006, 09:40 AM NHFTI never knew much about using herbs as medicines.

There is an "herbal center" in Lee, NH consisting of an herb farm, a store which carries just about any herb you could ever want, and a learning center where they offer a variety of classes on growing, preparing, and using herbs. In addition, they offer an advanced curriculum for those who wish to become certified "herbalists".

Do you know where it is? Or the name of it?

Pat McCotter

AlanM

Thanks, it's only about 15 minutes from where I live.  :)

dawn

I would like to learn more about using herbal remedies. I need to get some things on hand so when my family needs something, I'll be ready. Any tips on what to use for what maladies? Coughing and runny noses are a frequent thing here with my kids, for instance. One gets allergic reactions to who-knows-what and ends up hives and itchiness. I wonder what I can use for those things. It would be great to do a make-your-own remedy session. I'm sure it's *much* cheaper, plus it'd be a really good skill to have.

AlanM

Quote from: dawn on June 16, 2006, 09:56 PM NHFT
I would like to learn more about using herbal remedies. I need to get some things on hand so when my family needs something, I'll be ready. Any tips on what to use for what maladies? Coughing and runny noses are a frequent thing here with my kids, for instance. One gets allergic reactions to who-knows-what and ends up hives and itchiness. I wonder what I can use for those things. It would be great to do a make-your-own remedy session. I'm sure it's *much* cheaper, plus it'd be a really good skill to have.

Dawn, after Shorty Dawkins Jamboree I will be going to visit the Misty Meadows Herbal Center, mentioned previously. The 2 books I bought have lots of good info in them. If you have specific maladies you want information on I could look them up for you and get you the information you would need.

Kat Kanning

Dr. Schultz has a echinacea forumlation for colds/coughs/etc.
http://herbdoc.com

I also like oil of oregano for colds...put a drop or two under your tongue a few times a day.

Also we do raw garlic.  It's good minced in V8 juice, or you can mince it up in guacamole or onion dip.

But mostly what helps us when we get sick is fasting. 

Pat McCotter

Starve a fever, feed a cold.

Or was that the other way round? Hmm...