• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Free Lunch Project

Started by Russell Kanning, June 17, 2006, 12:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Evan Nappen still spends a lot of time there.  You could ask him.

dalebert

Quote from: Dietrich Bonhoeffer on July 07, 2006, 09:16 PM NHFT
But California is starting to look even more enticing.  I was reading USA Today, and they had a great article about the Mayor of San Francisco taking matters into his own hands with respect to health care.  He's instituting citywide, single payer health care.  The funny thing is, he's claiming that he has the authority to do this all by himself, he's not even sending it to the City Council for them to vote on it.

That man (and that town) is downright scary. He pulled the same thing with gay marriage. He decided he could just ignore state law and start issuing marriage licenses. His action was probably just what the far right needed to rally support for a Federal Marriage Amendment. Remember, it was his town that honestly tried to ban guns. Let me repeat. Ban guns. Not a ban on carrying concealed weapons. Not even a ban on carrying guns openly. A ban on guns, anywhere, anytime, including in your own home. It didn't fly obviously, but it shows the disregard they show for the law.

I voted for CA perhaps because it's what I'm familiar with. Maybe it's too big though. Perhaps it shouldn't be in the running. However, maybe they could migrate to SF and try to secede from the state and the country. I'm for selling CA back to Mexico... but not until I sell my condo first.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on July 25, 2006, 05:31 PM NHFTA ban on guns, anywhere, anytime, including in your own home. It didn't fly obviously, but it shows the disregard they show for the law.
They like the law ... it is your freedom they disregard.

dalebert

Quote from: russellkanning on July 25, 2006, 08:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on July 25, 2006, 05:31 PM NHFTA ban on guns, anywhere, anytime, including in your own home. It didn't fly obviously, but it shows the disregard they show for the law.
They like the law ... it is your freedom they disregard.

Sorry, I was typing faster than I was thinking. I mean it shows their disregard for the Bill of Rights.

lildog

What kills me is they continue to elect people like that and even cheer him on as some kind of hero.

dalebert

Quote from: lildog on July 26, 2006, 07:56 AM NHFT
What kills me is they continue to elect people like that and even cheer him on as some kind of hero.

Yep. And if you think about it, that's really the nature of politics. This guy's a local politician and therefore only answers to his constituents in S.F. As long as he has the support of the local majority, he'll get re-elected. S.F. is a prime example of what can happen when you have a tyrannical majority and no guiding principles, like the NAP.

When he singularly decided that CA law was wrong on marriage and started issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, he became a hero to his constituents and probably secured his title for as long as he wants it. OK, I'm all for marriage equality. Ideally, I'd like to see the state get out of the marriage business altogether and stop offering benefits based on a private contract, but in the meantime they shouldn't tell us who we can marry.

But his actions were at best mental masturbation and at worst did real damage. The marriages were bound to be overturned (and were) because he doesn't decide which laws are constitutional. That's the role of the courts. Meanwhile, by abusing his power, he gave fuel to the movement that created same-sex marriage bans in states across the country and got conservatives to turn out in droves in swing states to vote for Bush, the man liberal gays hate more than they hate islamo-fascism.

So yes, he's a hero to gay liberals, even though he very likely harmed the movement for marriage rights and helped their arch enemy get re-elected. Why exactly is he a hero? For nothing more than stroking some VERY fragile egos.

And from there he went on to ban guns, another thing he has no authority to do. The guy thinks he's a benevolent dictator.

lildog

Quote from: dalebert on July 26, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
So yes, he's a hero to gay liberals, even though he very likely harmed the movement for marriage rights and helped their arch enemy get re-elected. Why exactly is he a hero? For nothing more than stroking some VERY fragile egos.

Great point.

When I stop to think about government and how they go astray like this I have to continue to remind myself that half the population is below average intelligence since average is the middle ground.

For a while I wondered if I were in the lower or upper half but then I had my IQ tested and did very well (not quite mensa level but my sister actually made it and is a member).

Dreepa

If you think govt theft is wrong you must be in the upper half. ;)

Lloyd Danforth

toowm

eques

I lurked in this thread earlier, but apparently missed the NJ government shutdown question.

Well, "non-essential services" included the DMV, which really sucked for me, because my work schedule makes it difficult for me to get to the DMV, even on special "extended hour" days.  :P  It so happened that my one day off from work during the week (they took holiday for the 3rd and 4th of July) was the first day of the government shutdown.

Pain in the ass NJ government...

Oh, wait, it's not the DMV anymore... it's the "Motor Vehicle Commission"... or is it the "Motor Vehicle Services?"  Goddamned McGreevey--as if changing the name of the organization really made a difference in service.

I'll tell you what they did when they changed the name--they raised license and registration fees across the board!

At least the slightly more expensive registration fees in New Hampshire are offset by the fact that I don't have to pay sales or income tax.  And, for my car, it'll probably be about $50 (which is what my brother paid, and he's got the same kind of car, one or two years older).

Kat Kanning

Ready to run with this project again?  MA is looking awfully good.  :D

Mass. health care plan moving forward

By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press Writer Sun Mar 4, 4:58 AM ET

BOSTON - The average uninsured Massachusetts resident could obtain health care coverage for as little as $175 a month under the state's insurance law, less than half of earlier estimates, officials said Saturday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The plans are a critical piece of the state's landmark insurance initiative, which requires all state residents to have health coverage by July 1 or face tax penalties. Some insurers had suggested earlier that the premium would be $380 a month.

"This is a big improvement from the first round of bids and a big step forward for health care reform," Gov. Deval Patrick said as he released the results of negotiations with health insurers in the state. "The health security that was the point of health care reform will be delivered at an affordable price."

The panel charged with overseeing the law is expected to give its seal of approval Wednesday to the seven health care plans that met the affordability goals. On March 20, the board is scheduled to vote on whether the insurers will be able to offer lower cost versions without drug coverage.

The minimum plan detailed by Patrick would cover the average uninsured Massachusetts resident, who is typically around 37 years old. It includes prescription drug coverage and covers basic medical care, such as emergency room visits and outpatient medical care.

Lower cost plans would be available to young adults. Prices would also rise and fall depending on the age of the person seeking insurance and where they live.

The plans must include coverage for preventive doctor visits and an out-of-pocket limit, after which the plan would pay everything else, said the board's executive director, Jon Kingsdale. They must also include coverage for emergencies, mental health, substance abuse, rehabilitation, hospice and vision.

Russell Kanning

error

That's absolutely ridiculous in so many ways. I hardly know where to start.