• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Digg

Started by Dreepa, June 28, 2006, 03:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

error

I digg it.

One thing that's important to know is that stories listed under "World & Business," including most of the stories we've submitted, do not appear on the digg.com front page, even if they're promoted. They do appear on the section front, though. The front page defaults to the "Technology" section, and digg users who want something else to appear on the front page have to change this in their user preferences.

This is why, whenever I have, or can make, a tie-in between a libertarian issue and a tech issue (or they're the same issue!), I'll promote it under a Technology section.

Tom P

Quote from: error on September 26, 2006, 06:25 PM NHFT
I digg it.

One thing that's important to know is that stories listed under "World & Business," including most of the stories we've submitted, do not appear on the digg.com front page, even if they're promoted. They do appear on the section front, though. The front page defaults to the "Technology" section, and digg users who want something else to appear on the front page have to change this in their user preferences.

This is why, whenever I have, or can make, a tie-in between a libertarian issue and a tech issue (or they're the same issue!), I'll promote it under a Technology section.

That used to be true.  If you go to the Digg site now, and you are not already logged into your Digg account, you will see ALL of the categories mixed together.   It is kind of frustrating a times because new stories tend to drift off the front page quite rapidly.

mlorrey

Quote from: error on September 26, 2006, 06:25 PM NHFT
I digg it.

One thing that's important to know is that stories listed under "World & Business," including most of the stories we've submitted, do not appear on the digg.com front page, even if they're promoted. They do appear on the section front, though.

My Liberty Dollar stories made it there.

Firstly, you need about 40 diggs in less than a day, preferably 12 hours, to move to the "popular page". That is when things really take off. The more diggs your article gets before they make the dump, the higher on the front popular page your story appears (you are generally out competing 6-12 other newly promoted stories). It is a primacy effect: whoever is the top story gets the most hits and the most diggs, further perpetuating its time on top.

Of my 4 articles on the LD vs US Mint story, three became Popular, two making it to the "World & Business" page, and the first making the front page of Digg.

It is really really important that people cooperate in digging each others stories if we are to break our stories through into the popular zeitgeist. This is where our individualism and factionalism works against us and to the advantage of the collectivists, who don't have any problem promoting a story they may not agree totally with so long as it furthers the cause. It is hard with us, because while we have core libertarian issues and stories, everyone is guilty of bringing right and left boundary issues into the mix: pro-war vs anti-war, abortion, an alleged draft, etc.

What I'd like to develop is a site that is kinda like Digg, but which everyone can submit their Digg submitted links to, and through which everyone can just go through the list and digg the articles with one button, while judging its relative libertarian-ness with a different site-specific widget so people can stay away from boundary issues on the right or left if they so choose. The diggs pass through to digg.com, and it helps build popularity of our stories on our issues to help propagandize the consensus reality.

d_goddard

Please, Digg this story whether you intend to go or not... this event has the chance to create HUGE national media attention to the FSP... it may be our best shot at making the First 1000 in time:

http://digg.com/politics/Meet_John_Stossel_at_the_New_Hampshire_Liberty_Forum

Jason Rand

I dugg.

If you read down in the digg comments you will see that I also mentioned the Gimme Liberty Bar and our new Virtual Drinking Game, which I have modified to include drinking every time John Stossel's name is mentioned or someone says "Gimme a Break!"   

The complete rules are on the website.

d_goddard

Atlas

(Tracy) just out of curiousity, but how many diggs does it take to really get some exposure for a topic (50-100, 100+)? Obviously, the more the merrier.

tracysaboe

between 30 to 100 BEFORE it gets buried.

I think 30 diggs in the 1st hour pretty much ensures it.

Tracy

Atlas

So, what are we to do? What's the point of taking time to digg articles that are gonna be immediately buried? I mean, does digg really have that big of a hard-on for us and everything we promote? Talk about being shady...

error

Quote from: Rebel on March 06, 2007, 02:33 PM NHFT
So, what are we to do? What's the point of taking time to digg articles that are gonna be immediately buried? I mean, does digg really have that big of a hard-on for us and everything we promote? Talk about being shady...

That's what they want you to think. "Oh, it's useless, I won't bother submitting stuff anymore." The answer, of course, is (aside from reporting it as abuse, since it is) to submit even more stuff.

Atlas

Quote from: error on March 06, 2007, 02:43 PM NHFT
Quote from: Rebel on March 06, 2007, 02:33 PM NHFT

That's what they want you to think. "Oh, it's useless, I won't bother submitting stuff anymore." The answer, of course, is (aside from reporting it as abuse, since it is) to submit even more stuff.
I feel ya. I'll continue digging everything yall post here

Dan

Awesome.  Let's see what the bury brigade does to raw facts.