• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tape the cops, go to jail.

Started by KBCraig, June 29, 2006, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Why not: It shall be lawfull to record police officers, both audio and video, while in the performance of their duties.
Why must they be informed each time? They are hired by the state/city/town for a particular job, let them know once that they are subject to be recorded at any time while performing their duties.

srqrebel

Quote from: AlanM on July 01, 2006, 11:12 AM NHFT
Why not: It shall be lawfull to record police officers, both audio and video, while in the performance of their duties.
Why must they be informed each time? They are hired by the state/city/town for a particular job, let them know once that they are subject to be recorded at any time while performing their duties.

Right on.  A police officer on duty should be subject to certain conditions and restraints not imposed upon the general citizenry.  i.e Law enforcement officers are generally expected to conduct themselves with greater professionalism than members of the general public, and have no legitimate expectation of privacy while acting as a public servant.  There is no legitimate reason that I can think of for a police officer to wish to be warned before being recorded doing his job, especially given the propensity for corruption and abuse of power.

Roycerson

Quote from: Roycerson on June 30, 2006, 08:23 PM NHFT
I thought Alex Jones might be interested in this so I sent a link to this thread and a quick explanation to infowars.com.   All publicity is good publicity right  ;D

This story is on the front page of infowars.com along with what appears to be the same picture that's on this thread.

Atlas

Roycerson

Definitely, why go making concessions before you even get started? 

Roycerson

Quote from: FSP-Rebel on July 01, 2006, 04:07 PM NHFT
Infowars is the shit!

It serves my purpose.  Do you know if this made the radio show?  I've never listened but I would if I knew this was on it.  I got an automated email saying they "might not" get back to me personally but this story is in the most prominent spot on the site.  You'd think if they get back to anyone it would the person who showed them their lead story.  They did a nice job with the graphics.

FTL_Ian

The law needs to be repealed entirely.  People should always expect they are being recorded unless they are in an area they control and know there are no recording devices around.

Especially bureaucrats.

d_goddard

Quote from: Roycerson on July 01, 2006, 04:35 PM NHFT

Because I want to get the law actually changed, not just complain about how crappy it currently is.

The opponents to this law will almost certainly be the Attorney General and the Police themselves that sit on the Criminal Justice Committee of the House. They will of course argue that this makes their task of protecting the innocent much harder, and they will find some wierd case to make their point.

If the entire rest of the committee has something to point to that convinces them that the law is fair and equitable, even when viewed from the cops' point of view, then there is a much better chance it will get to the Governor's desk.

If you look at the above newspaper report, the ACLU lawyer thinks that just posting signs on one's property is enough. The key is to change the law covering this case so the the operative word is "inform", rather than the current law, which requires "consent".

This bill, if passed, would give complete legal immunity to the NH Copwatch, as long as they yell "You are being recorded!" as they rush onto the scene, no matter what the circumstances.
8)

Roycerson

Quote from: d_goddard on July 01, 2006, 06:09 PM NHFT
Because I want to get the law actually changed, not just complain about how crappy it currently is.

The opponents to this law will almost certainly be the Attorney General and the Police themselves that sit on the Criminal Justice Committee of the House. They will of course argue that this makes their task of protecting the innocent much harder, and they will find some wierd case to make their point.

I anticipated this point.  Which is also why I like AlanM's suggestion.  Give them something easy to object to so that a middle ground can be reached with the wording as you proposed it.  Just an idea.  Obviously you have a better understanding of the landscape up there.

Caleb

QuoteOther than his first few weeks here, I never considered him a troll. An antagonist, yes. An asshole, frequently. An asset, usually. But never a troll.

I hate his guts.  ;)  Good-bye is too good a word, so I'll just say fare thee well.

AlanM

Quote from: Roycerson on July 01, 2006, 04:35 PM NHFT

If the entire rest of the committee has something to point to that convinces them that the law is fair and equitable, even when viewed from the cops' point of view, then there is a much better chance it will get to the Governor's desk.

If you look at the above newspaper report, the ACLU lawyer thinks that just posting signs on one's property is enough. The key is to change the law covering this case so the the operative word is "inform", rather than the current law, which requires "consent".

This bill, if passed, would give complete legal immunity to the NH Copwatch, as long as they yell "You are being recorded!" as they rush onto the scene, no matter what the circumstances.
8)

Denis, your bill will be objected to and attempts will be made to water it down further, making it essentially worthless. You concede the important point, that being the right to record police actions, from the beginning by placing so many conditions on it. It then becomes a dispute over which conditions are acceptable. The publics right to record a public servants actions should be absolute. Period.

KBCraig

Quote from: Dietrich Bonhoeffer on July 01, 2006, 08:47 PM NHFT
QuoteOther than his first few weeks here, I never considered him a troll. An antagonist, yes. An asshole, frequently. An asset, usually. But never a troll.

I hate his guts.  ;) 

Now you're just trying to sweet talk him to get him back. ;)

Kevin

Braddogg

tracysaboe

This dead president fellow.

It sound quite curious. He doesn't like people to like him.

So. . .

If they choose to hate him because that's what he wants? Then that's sweet talking right?

So really if we say we love him for the sole purpose of pissing him off, he should like that because he should know that the only reason we like him is because we hate him -- and so because we hate him he'll like us. . . .Right?

Is this individual some real life manifestation of Bizaro?

TRacy

d_goddard

Quote from: Roycerson on July 01, 2006, 07:46 PM NHFT

I anticipated this point.  Which is also why I like AlanM's suggestion.  Give them something easy to object to so that a middle ground can be reached with the wording as you proposed it.  Just an idea.  Obviously you have a better understanding of the landscape up there.

Thanks for the input. I need to confer more with people more familiar with the process (ie, a few reps and folks in the NHLA) before I submit the LSR.

The final date for submitting LSRs is months away; I prefer to to this the right way, based on input from very experienced folks, than to do it half-cocked.

Stay tuned....