• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tape the cops, go to jail.

Started by KBCraig, June 29, 2006, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

president

see the little blue and white sticker on that grey box?
That warns of a security system with cameras......

president

Quote from: Punt3r on June 29, 2006, 05:24 PM NHFT
Here's my letter.

I sent this to the AG
kelly.ayotte@doj.nh.gov

And the Gov.
http://www.egov.nh.gov/governor/goveforms/comments.asp

FTL_Ian

The police in NH have yet to really experience NHFree.com.  This case has a lot of potential for advancing freedom!

FTL_Ian

I'll be sure to bring this up on Against the Grain today.   8)

tracysaboe

Quote from: Dreepa on June 29, 2006, 12:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: TackleTheWorld on June 29, 2006, 12:42 PM NHFT

Remember when eavesdropping and wiretap laws were used against the government for spying on its own citizens,
instead of on citizens keeping track of what is happening on their own property?

It is legal for the gov to spy on you... I mean who would mind if they aren't doing anything wrong... don't we hear that all the time?
Wait.. so shouldn't the cops also not mind?  I mean they aren't doing anything wrong right?

Gov always exempts itself from it's own laws.

This ticks me off.

Tracy

president

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Family+says+it+plans+to+sue+Nashua+police+over+arrest&articleId=f594a86a-8840-4460-ba30-5f4b144109a0
Quote Family says it plans to sue Nashua police over arrest

By NICHOLAS COATES
Union Leader Correspondent

Nashua ? The wife of a man charged with breaking state wiretapping laws after recording a police detective on a home security camera said the family plans to hire a lawyer to sue the police department for ?unprofessional? behavior.

Nashua police arrested Michael Gannon, 49, of 26 Morgan St., Tuesday night and charged him with two felony counts for violating the state wiretap law after he used electronic devices to record Detective Andrew Karlis without the detective?s consent. The detective had been at the couple?s home investigating their teen sons? roles in a June 21 robbery.

Janet Gannon said Karlis showed up late at night on several occasions, was rude to family members and refused to leave after he was asked to.

?He (Karlis) made several rude remarks about Mike being a disabled vet and about the taxes we pay on the house,? Janet Gannon said. ?He (Karlis) had also put his foot in the door as Mike tried to close it and we asked him to leave, but he wouldn?t.?

Karlis didn?t know about the camera until his second visit to the home, when Michael Gannon told him to ?smile? for the camera, according to police reports. But Janet Gannon said that her husband was joking when he told Karlis to smile because he had already clearly warned them that there was a video camera.

?The first thing he said, and he said it very clearly, ?Gentlemen, there?s a camera right there,?? Janet Gannon said. ?And there are signs posted on the side of the house and on the shed that say, ?Warning: homeland security system. Audio and video in use.?

According to police reports, though, Janet Gannon said to officers that she didn?t remember her husband warning them of the security camera.

Michael Gannon also ?has a history of being verbally abusive? toward Nashua police, according to police reports. And after he was arrested, Gannon said the police officers ?were a bunch of corrupt (expletives).?

Police also cited Janet Gannon for disorderly conduct Tuesday night. She said they had sealed off her home for hours as they waited for a warrant to search the house for additional cameras and tapes.

president

Ian, can you extract the interview with Mr. Gannon from last nights .mp3 and host on freetalklive.com so I can send a link to the AG?

Otosan

No. The police went to his house and "seized" it by forcing everyone out, and would not let them return until the police got a search warrant at 2am, and took the other video and the cameras.....

After the police arrested the Gannons? sons, Janet Gannon said, they ?secured? the house, and told her and her sister-in-law they had to stay out of it from around 8:45 p.m. Tuesday until about 4 a.m. Wednesday.

Police said they were waiting to get a warrant to search the house, Janet Gannon said.

?They were waiting for a warrant to seize the cameras and the tapes in my house . . . because they said having these cameras was against the law. They?re security cameras,? she said, adding, ?They said they could do that. They could seize my apartment.?

Let this be a leson to all.......make copies, hide them some where else beside the place you are staying.
and never ever assume the cops are on "your side"/

president

Quote from: Otosan on June 30, 2006, 08:27 AM NHFT
Let this be a leson to all.......make copies, hide them some where else beside the place you are staying.
I say distribute far and wide......

Dave Ridley

Dave Ridley

Dear folks at NPD:

I wanted first to thank you for the rapid and courteous response by one of your officers last month when I had a question about the break-in history of a local business.   I'm sorry I didn't get his name but his return call was very helpful.

However I also have a concern to express.   I was saddened to hear about your arrest of Nashua resident Michael Gannon for the "crime" of videotaping your officers on his own property.

It is not your fault that there is a bad law on the books, but your officers have some discretion as to whether and how to enforce the law.   You are not automatons.   When a person does something constructive and peaceful on his own property, which holds authorities accountable for their behavior, that is not wrong no matter what the law may say.  Laws are those things that they used to keep Martin Luther King's supporters from voting, remember?

This was a golden opportunity for you to exercise that discretion and LET IT GO.   Instead I understand you squandered it by temporarily seizing the man's house.

You have a conflict of interest here as your "enforcement of the law" shields official police actions from legitimate public scrutiny.

Over the next few weeks, public opposition to what you are doing is likely to build.   Drop by

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=4251.0

...if you don't believe me.    The last time I saw half this amount of displeasure with a police department (Manchester) it ended with 25 demonstrators outside the courthouse on trial day and an embarrassed city soliciter.   

I appreciate what you legitimately do to protect people from force and fraud, and do not begrudge the portion of my tax dollars which wind up used by your department for that purpose.  But unless I am missing something, that is not what you were doing by arresting Mr. Gannon.

Respectfully, but angrily, yours:

(sig)

Dave Ridley

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 30, 2006, 07:24 AM NHFT
Ian, can you extract the interview with Mr. Gannon from last nights .mp3 and host on freetalklive.com so I can send a link to the AG?

Ask and ye shall receive: http://freetalklive.com/files/gannon.mp3

srqrebel

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 30, 2006, 09:29 AM NHFT
To e-mail NPD head to:

http://www.gonashua.com/content/1121/default.aspx

I tried that link, but it does no good without the actual e-mail address of the person you are trying to contact.  I found contact info on the NPD officials, but no e-mail addresses.  I tried their website, and it comes up "page not available."

KBCraig

As I read the law, it's the audio portion that is the problem. The law restricts intercepting "communications".

Most security surveillance systems are video only, but more and more convenience stores are adding audio recording. I've noticed, because they really go out of their way to post bigger notices about audio recording.

In Mr. Gannon's case, it's clear that he did post notice about audio and video recording. The doctrine of informed consent makes it clear that anyone entering or remaining on those posted premises has given effective consent to be recorded.

Kevin