• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tape the cops, go to jail.

Started by KBCraig, June 29, 2006, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

lildog

I wonder if this was the law that was written as a result of that whole issue that came up in Merrimack.

We had two guys that lived next door to each other.  The first guy for whatever reason set up a video camera in his garage in a window facing the neighbors house.  The other guy flipped out over his video taping him so he called the police.  There was no law against pointing a camera from your own property toward someone elses even if it looks into their homes so the police did nothing.  So the guy took boards, planks and whatever else and built up his fence so it blocks the garage window.  These guys have also ended up getting themselves arrested for beating each other up and things like that so it?s a long twisted story.

Anyway the point is after it made the papers that there weren?t any laws against video taping your next door neighbors or even pointing a camera into other people?s homes, Bob L?Heureux I believe, authored a bill to prevent someone from doing this in the future.

By the way, if you want to see the fence between the house just drive down route 3 in Merrimack.  If you head south it will be on your right.

president

Quote from: srqrebel on June 30, 2006, 01:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 30, 2006, 09:29 AM NHFT
To e-mail NPD head to:

http://www.gonashua.com/content/1121/default.aspx

I tried that link, but it does no good without the actual e-mail address of the person you are trying to contact.  I found contact info on the NPD officials, but no e-mail addresses.  I tried their website, and it comes up "page not available."

The email addresses for the Nashua PD are in this format:

Lastname and first initial @pd.ci.nashua.nh.us

vince curtis:
curtisv@pd.ci.nashua.nh.us

I tried to send an email to Cheif Timothy Hefferan:
HefferanT@pd.ci.nashua.nh.us

It didn't bounce yet.......

president

Quote from: FTL_Ian on June 30, 2006, 12:10 PM NHFT
Quote from: Money Dollars on June 30, 2006, 07:24 AM NHFT
Ian, can you extract the interview with Mr. Gannon from last nights .mp3 and host on freetalklive.com so I can send a link to the AG?

Ask and ye shall receive: http://freetalklive.com/files/gannon.mp3
Now you da man!

I got a reply from the AG....
On 6/30/06, Ayotte, Kelly <Kelly.Ayotte@doj.nh.gov> wrote:

Thank you for your email. I am out of the office this week and will respond in more detail when I return next week.  Sincerely. Kelly Ayotte
    --------------------------
    Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

And I responded by sending the link to the .mp3, and wishing her a great independence day.

Dave Ridley

<< For the record, MD, you are being so cool and helpful here, I formally retract calling you the T-word in the past.
Karma for you.>>

Heh heh with trolls like fisher/MD, who needs friends and activists?

JonM

Hey MD, you coming to the liberty dinner tonight? I'll buy ya a beer!

president

sent to MaherJ@pd.ci.nashua.nh.us

QuoteHello Sergeant Maher,

In a recent new article, I read the following:
"But Nashua Police Sergeant Jeff Maher said the recording is a crime, even though the cameras are not hidden and officers were on the Gannons' property at the time."

I have security cameras in and around my house, and had no idea that I may be committing a felony by doing so. From my perception of the Nashua PDs understanding of the law, if a couple of burglars break into my house while I am not home, and my security cameras record them in the act and talking, I am committing a felony and could face up to 7 years in jail?

Is this correct?

Is there anything I can do to legally use my video cameras?
If I disable the audio, would that make the camera legal?

I do not wish to break the law, and would like to know how to comply.

Thank you for your time,

FTL_Ian

Money Dollars is not a troll around here.  He just has some fundamental disagreements with decisions the FSP has made in the past, as I understand it.

I consider him an asset to NHFree.com.

Dreepa

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 30, 2006, 03:10 PM NHFT

"But Nashua Police Sergeant Jeff Maher said the recording is a crime, even though the cameras are not hidden and officers were on the Gannons' property at the time."

I have security cameras in and around my house, and had no idea that I may be committing a felony by doing so. From my perception of the Nashua PDs understanding of the law, if a couple of burglars break into my house while I am not home, and my security cameras record them in the act and talking, I am committing a felony and could face up to 7 years in jail?

Is this correct?

Thank you for your time,

This letter is goooooood!!

aries

This is stupid.

The government doesn't notify you when they spy on you, yet you must notify them? I think this Nashua man was keeping his camera secret in the interest of home security.

Jared

Ian -

Thanks for bringing this case up to Gardner today. I started listening just before you called, and I had assumed that he was all over it. Gardner's still the man, but I'm glad you reminded him of that one :).

Everyone -

Is there any sort of police watch in NH? I've always lived on the NH border, and I'm moving over next month. I had planned to look for a police watch group in my area (of Ossipee), but after discovering this law, I'm wondering if a watch would even be legal. If it is NOT legal, perhaps we should do it anyway. Would this be productive or counter-productive? Porcs can't do much good in jail :).

FTL_Ian

Well, this is not in NH yet:
http://copwatch.com
http://copwatch.net

Someone posted a pic of a car in Nashua with corruptcopwatch.com printed on it in big letters, but the site has nothing on it and the domain is registered privately.  Details:
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3490.0

The cops should be watched.  They need to know we will not put up with this abuse anymore.

president

Quote from: Money Dollars on June 30, 2006, 03:10 PM NHFT

Is this correct?

Thank you for your time,

reply:
Please refer to New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated 570-A regarding state law on this issue.  This law can be viewed over such websites as Findlaw.com and the State of NH website (Judicial Branch).  Thank you.

and my response, and I cc'd the cheif:
Hello Sergeant Maher

Thank you for pointing out the RSA, but I reviewed the law before I asked the questions of you.  I am still unclear, and that is why I am asking you.

From the news article:
"Maher said that security cameras on private property are not illegal, but the person being videotaped needs to be notified. Maher noted the Nashua Police Department uses cameras in its booking area, but has a large sign informing people they are being recorded."

From my reading of the law, the person being recorded not only needs to be informed, they need to consent.

" 570-A:2 Interception and Disclosure of Telecommunication or Oral Communications Prohibited. ?
    I. A person is guilty of a class B felony if, except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter or without the consent of all parties to the communication,"

This would seem to make the camera in the booking room illegal, as simply posting a sign does not give consent, and the people being booked cannot leave if they do not consent. Also, what about the case of a blind person who cannot see the sign?

I would like to know  the Nashua PD's interpretation of the law, as they are the enforcers of the law. My interpretation of the law does not matter. From the statement I read from you in the news article, it appears the NPD believes it is a felony for me to have security cameras with audio on my property if I record any oral communication without obtaining consent.

My questions again:

If burglars break into my house while I am not home, and my security cameras record them in the act and talking, I am committing a class B felony?

Is a sign saying "by being on this property you consent to video and audio recording" good enough?
What about the case of a blind person, or someone who cannot read English?

If you cannot answer these question for me, would you please direct me to someone in the NPD that can. I would like to comply with the law.

Thanks for you time,

Dreepa

Quote from: Jared on June 30, 2006, 04:25 PM NHFT

I've always lived on the NH border, and I'm moving over next month.

So you don't live in NH yet? 
Welcome to the forums.

Take the pledge
www.pledgebank.com/first1000

Roycerson

I thought Alex Jones might be interested in this so I sent a link to this thread and a quick explanation to infowars.com.   All publicity is good publicity right  ;D

KBCraig