• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cop Watch Participants

Started by TackleTheWorld, June 30, 2006, 08:40 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Radical_Teen

Quote from: Kat Kanning on July 28, 2006, 01:35 PM NHFT
Man Arrested For Taking Cellphone Photo Of Police Activity

NBC 10 | July 28 2006

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia family said they are outraged over the arrest of one of their family members.

The family of Neftaly Cruz said police had no right to come onto their property and arrest their 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera. They told their story to Harry Hairston and the NBC 10 Investigators.
That's just scary :-\

Braddogg

I've been thinking of doing some cop watching on my campus.  I've got a camera.  If I could find someone else to do it with me, I'd totally sacrifice two or three drinking nights a month to listen to the police scanner.  In any event, I'll bring it with me to NH.

Russell Kanning

We just wait to come upon the situations .... you can sit in a bar and look out onto the street. :)

Kat Kanning

Dave Ridley

maybe a hundred bucks, but many police now use scanners that are on bizarre moving frequencies that are hard to track.

TackleTheWorld

One of my scanners has a "Close Call" feature that just listens for the strongest signal, no matter what frequency.  That would work if you are very close to the police transmitter.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 28, 2006, 06:03 AM NHFT
maybe a hundred bucks, but many police now use scanners that are on bizarre moving frequencies that are hard to track.

I'm a little rusty on the scanner world, but I believe that is called "Trunking" and there are scanners today that can handle it.  Though you may pay more than $100.

Kat Kanning

The lady who runs this site called us the other day:

http://onthejobmeansontherecord.org/

Cool :)

FTL_Ian

Nice.  Looks like someone Denis should be in touch with.

Money Dollars

Quote from: FTL_Ian on August 28, 2006, 11:04 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on August 28, 2006, 06:03 AM NHFT

I'm a little rusty on the scanner world, but I believe that is called "Trunking" and there are scanners today that can handle it.  Though you may pay more than $100.
Many also have digital systems....

The Nashua PD has APCO 25 Digital Systems

Nashua, City of       800 MHz          Trunked       Nashua
State of NH           150 MHz          Conventional  Statewide

You can find the scanners that will work with that system here:
http://www.signalharbor.com/apco25.html

If the digital system is encrypted, you need the key....

Also, US scanners have the 800MHz cell phone frequecy range blocked as of 1994....but the Canadian and Japanese versions don't block that....

FTL_Ian

I suppose some people still use analog cel phones.. how many though?

Lloyd Danforth

Money Dollars

Many digital cell phone have analog capabilities(at least they did a few years ago...I think that is changing), and will use it if they are in a cell that requires it for some strange reason.

I had a japanese scanner about 4 years and would scan during a 45 min commute....I would pick up an analog cell phone call almost every day....But that may have been people with old crappy cell phones.....

FTL_Ian

I think that cels do still have analog modes, but do they operate at 800MHz range in analog mode if their digital transmits at 1900MHz?

Money Dollars

I thinks so....I thought the idea was that they can use the AMPS crap...and I thought that was in that range...but I never looked into it that much. I wasn't looking to listen to cell phone calls.