• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Which Karma display is best?

Started by FTL_Ian, June 30, 2006, 10:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Minsk

And it's posted. I would consider it Beta quality, so be careful with it (for one, don't deploy it here immediately). I do not believe any of the changes could introduce security vulnerabilities, and the changes are limited enough to make any malicious code obvious. The mod does not interfere with the patch that just came out for 1.1 RC2. I have not tried it with anything *other* than 1.1 RC2.

Please check the readme.txt for instructions, as the default behavior is the same as without the mod.

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=379

Quote from: d_goddard on July 04, 2006, 08:39 AM NHFT
Chris/Minsk, you are making me think maybe I should learn PHP and Drupal.

PHP is fairly good learning language, especially for someone who is not trying to make their living as a programming. It is a tad complex in places, but there are lots of tutorials and the documentation is easily available. (For someone headed into a programming career, I would steer them toward something more structured; Java, or even JavaScript)

And yeah, I have a reflex to sign posts. On the other hand, there are *way* too many Chrises in the world, and I do answer to Minsk in person. So, either :)

Chris

tracysaboe

Quote from: Pat McCotter on July 02, 2006, 03:17 PM NHFT
Quote from: tracysaboe on July 02, 2006, 01:49 PM NHFT
I think it should have the total as well as the +/- too if that's possible,

TRacy

This ain't new math, Tracy. ;D

Oh I can do it in my head.  I don't care. It was just an idea for others.

TRacy

KBCraig

BTW, I see my current Karma is:
+66/-6

I would appreciate it very, very much if nobody ever applauds or smites me ever again, I like my current stats :)

Karma for Denis! Uhhh... oops!  :blush:

d_goddard

Getting OT, but....

Quote from: Minsk on July 04, 2006, 01:51 PM NHFT
Chris/Minsk, you are making me think maybe I should learn PHP and Drupal.
PHP is fairly good learning language, especially for someone who is not trying to make their living as a programming. It is a tad complex in places, but there are lots of tutorials and the documentation is easily available. (For someone headed into a programming career, I would steer them toward something more structured; Java, or even JavaScript)

... and that's been my problem with it. I'm a kernel-level C programmer, I also do a lot of fairly hardcore Perl (thousands of lines of code, XS modules, etc).

PHP feels too much like VB to me. Where are the structures? References?
Anyway, I'm just bitching and procrastinating, I need to learn PHP.

Meanwhile... Steve Cobb (FSP IT director) is literally on the streets begging for PHP programmers to help out with the FSP site, which is being hugely re-architected. I love what they're planning to do with it, BTW.

http://freestateproject.org/it_handbook

It would be much appreciated if you can send a mail to scobb (at) freestateproject.org and let him know you're a pro-Freedom MySQL/PHP developer :)

Minsk

PHP feels too much like VB to me. Where are the structures? References?

There, just rather neglected. Like VB, PHP has the questionable advantage of being easy enough to learn that people without any architectual background are doing a lot of programming...

Meanwhile... Steve Cobb (FSP IT director) is literally on the streets begging for PHP programmers to help out with the FSP site, which is being hugely re-architected. I love what they're planning to do with it, BTW.

http://freestateproject.org/it_handbook

It would be much appreciated if you can send a mail to scobb (at) freestateproject.org and let him know you're a pro-Freedom MySQL/PHP developer :)

And done. That is probably more immediately useful than my other non-work-related project, which was a lightweight peer-to-peer network similar to FreeNet, intended to help move communications (blogs, websites, chat, e-mail, VoIP, etc) into an uncensorable, untrackable, and untaxable medium.

Chris

Kat Kanning

Minsk, I don't have another forum to test your mod on.  You say it alters the database?

FTL_Ian

Seems like much ado about nothing to me...  (says he who posted the poll)

d_goddard

Quote from: FTL_Ian on July 07, 2006, 02:52 PM NHFT
Seems like much ado about nothing to me...  (says he who posted the poll)

I'd say there are not one but TWO really cool, highly significant results of this thread:

1) if there's feedback and a patch to the Drupal community from a Porcupine, that is huge Good Karma for us as an Internet movement. Be sure and say something nice to Minsk

2) having an actual, competent PHP/MySQL programmer fill the open slot of that name on the FSP org chart will do more than anything else to turn the FSP website into one people will be super-impressed with. There are Big Plans afoot, but a good coder was needed. Again, be sure and say something nice to Minsk!!

Minsk

Quote from: katdillon on July 07, 2006, 04:27 AM NHFT
Minsk, I don't have another forum to test your mod on.  You say it alters the database?

Whoops, guess I should have paid attention to this thread.

The mod adds one forum setting and one per-user setting. Those settings are stored in the database by the SMF options handling code, so will get "left behind" if the mod is removed. Otherwise, no database changes are made.

I did my testing locally with the WAMP package http://www.wampserver.com/en/, which makes it relatively easy to get set up. My outside work has migrated to Ruby on Rails, so I no longer even have a server to install it on for you to take a look at.

Dave Ridley

I never realized how much I liked the old way of karma (+xx, -xx)  until we switched away from it!

It is easier , with that method, to get a feel for who you can trust.

Guess i shoulda voted...

Is there a way you can call up a person's total positives and negatives?

Minsk

Quote from: DadaOrwell on July 13, 2006, 09:56 PM NHFT
Is there a way you can call up a person's total positives and negatives?

AFAIK, no. Unless I missed one, all of the places the karma is rendered for a non-administrator it follows the configured format (the admin gets applauds and smites explicitly in the user's profile).

Thanks to d_goddard for the kind words, which I somehow missed earlier. I am going to blame my lowered reading comprehension on being in the middle of a 40-page summary paper, a 10K-line proof-of-concept for another paper, and six Linux servers. Sleep? Who needs it... As soon as I wrap some of that up I plan to start ticking off open Drupal issues and anything in particular that gets passed my way. Once I have banked a little credibility we'll see about the big stuff.

Chris

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on July 13, 2006, 09:56 PM NHFT
I never realized how much I liked the old way of karma (+xx, -xx)  until we switched away from it!

A-men, bro.
Karma for you, for thinking like me! (be afraid: that's the second time I've said that tonight)

d_goddard

Quote from: Minsk on July 13, 2006, 11:16 PM NHFT
Sleep? Who needs it...
Ahhhh yes, college days. The bliss before a spouse, and then a child, eat into your productive time.
How I miss college! :D :P :D

Most of my lack of time in college was self-inflicted: I studied Chem Eng, thinking I'd actually use it someday. Pfffft....

cathleeninnh

Smite to Denis for that anti-family comment.

Cathleen

maineiac

Quote from: katdillon on July 01, 2006, 09:28 AM NHFT
I kinda like the old way better, too.  Just thought people might be interested in seeing the totals.

Should I change "smite" to "bitchslap"?

Yes, yes, and yes!

God Bless you people for having such a cool forum!