• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

want to move but need a job

Started by zrated, July 05, 2006, 12:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

zrated

hi everybody. i'm new here and i'm thinking hard about FSP. i talked to a rep (brian sullivan) and he encouraged me to post what i said to him through email. i hope i'm not disturbing the forum too much by posting such a self-centered topic, but i have to start somewhere. i'll take advice on the more proper way to post if anyone is annoyed by this...

here's the text of the email:

here's my deal. i'm recently unemployed and unrestricted. i'm a radical libertarian on the edge of anarcho-capitalism. i'm 29 years old and would love to try this experiment. my only worry is finding employment. i know what the website said to do, but i have little faith that it will produce a job.

i need to be talked into it. i'll move next week if the conditions are right (and that's no b.s.). in my mind there's an enclave with freedom seekers everywhere. i know it isn't the case, but is there a place where they tend to congregate? a big part of the allure for me is to be with my own people (libertarians and the like).

i know i'm all over the place, but that's sort of indicative of my current state of mind on the issue. i just realized it was possible for me a couple of days ago.

b.g.

as stated, i have little faith in the prospect of getting a job without some kind of solid network connection.  if anyone can help or give advice i'd be very appreciative. yes, i've read the FSP jobs site. thanks in advance!

Kat Kanning

Try Barbara at Masiello Employment Service
(603) 358-1000
31 Emerald St, Keene, NH

Russell Kanning

If you have the money to move and look for a job for a while, that can work. Or you can look for work long distance and show up when it happens.
Where are you at now?
What can you do?

zrated

i have some money, but i don't know how long it will last up there. i'm in lakeland, fl. right now.

i was a strategist at an atlanta hedge fund, went to army intel school after that, came home and taught school for a semester as a temporary teacher in a gifted program. my goal was to do counter-terror intel work as a civilian contractor here at CentCom, but i just don't want to support the regime, so i've decided to pass on that. it sucks to have gone through that much hell in training just to toss it aside now, but i have to listen to my conscience.

i have an AA in computer networking and a BS in consumer economics. hoping to start toward PhD in econ asap.

b.g.

cathleeninnh

Freedom seekers tend to congregate anywhere in the southern tier. We love the northern parts but not many of us have found jobs there. Jobs don't come and jump on you. You have to put some effort into it. I think the best effort to put to it is to sit down and ask yourself if fighting for freedom with a group of others is how you want to spend your life. If yes, then to what extent are you willing to modify your lifestyle, live frugally, work at jobs beneath you. These things may not be necessary, but it clarifies your commitment to the fight. Then the thought of difficulties isn't so frightening and your opportunities will expand with flexibility.

We have great get togethers and gather frequently for fun as well as work. It is satisfying and challenging.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

We can give you ideas of rent prices in NH compared to your area. Everything else will have similar costs.

zrated

the post by carolineinnh is a stirring thing for me to read! it's so hard to believe that there are people so dedicated as to put forth like that! i rarely come across an individual that even knows they're a slave. most don't even have a concept of what true freedom is.

yes, i am willing to work at jobs beneath me. in my opinion there is NOTHING more important than freedom and the sacrifice will be worth it and replaced by the satisfaction of sublime purpose.

thanks for the post.

Marcy

I second what Cathleen said and add this, having quit my job and moved to NH in the last millenium, without a job lined up, because I'd determined on my own NH was the free-est state in the Union:

On some level, you have to decide to trust in yourself, trust that your knowledge, education, work ethic and contributions are worth someone paying money for.   If you are looking for a job in Florida, does it matter if you move and do the same thing in a state more in line with your convictions?  You may not find the "ideal" job at first, but if it feeds and houses you while you find something better, what do you care?)

My recommendation for almost instant employment is to move to the southern part of the State (between Concord and Salem) and register with every temp agency you can find. There's a lot of temp work out there, and for some companies, going through a temp agency IS the route to full-time employment. Temping provides an income while you get the lay of the land, make connections and work on finding the job you really want.  Statistically, I've been told, more employers hire someone who is already working, even if that job isn't realizing their potential, than someone who's been job hunting for quite a while.

Thespis

Quote from: Marcy on July 05, 2006, 09:41 PM NHFTMy recommendation for almost instant employment is to move to the southern part of the State (between Concord and Salem) and register with every temp agency you can find. There's a lot of temp work out there, and for some companies, going through a temp agency IS the route to full-time employment. Temping provides an income while you get the lay of the land, make connections and work on finding the job you really want.  Statistically, I've been told, more employers hire someone who is already working, even if that job isn't realizing their potential, than someone who's been job hunting for quite a while.

Yes!

I've worked as a temp a few times. I even worked steadily as a temp for two years when I lived in Atlanta. And, the job I'm at right now started as an assignment through a temp agency. Granted, I'm not in NH yet, but I'm sure the same type of opportunities are out there.

Russell Kanning

Recumbent ReCycler

Check out http://www.unhjobs.com.  You may find a job that is appealing to you.  There are a couple of us who work at UNH.

FTL_Ian

That would help us influence / take over the colleges as well.

zrated

my goal is actually to teach austrian econ at a college...

Gryphyn

Quote from: russellkanning on July 05, 2006, 03:34 PM NHFT
We can give you ideas of rent prices in NH compared to your area. Everything else will have similar costs.

I'm paying $1000 for a 2 bedroom condo/apt, around 1100 sq ft or so in Orlando, FL (what's up to Lakeland...seems to be a lot of Floridians looking north this season).  Nice area, well maintained landscaping, screened in balcony, etc.  Equivalent, less, more?

I'm looking for the south area, cause I'm IT and that's where others have indicated would be my best shot.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Gryphyn on July 06, 2006, 10:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: russellkanning on July 05, 2006, 03:34 PM NHFT

I'm paying $1000 for a 2 bedroom condo/apt, around 1100 sq ft or so in Orlando, FL (what's up to Lakeland...seems to be a lot of Floridians looking north this season).  Nice area, well maintained landscaping, screened in balcony, etc.  Equivalent, less, more?

I'm looking for the south area, cause I'm IT and that's where others have indicated would be my best shot.

In Concord.

We were living in a 2BR apt at a complex and paying 945/month. This included heat but not electric. Hot water was electric so we had to pay that. (The water itself was paid for, just not the electricity to heat it.) The rent also included a carport with 8x10 storage unit. We also paid 150/year for the indoor pool/sauna/weight room.

We are now living in a 3BR duplex unit for 1100/month. We pay electric and gas. Stove is electric! The most inefficient way to heat anything! Fortunately the water heater is a tankless demand type that uses gas. We also have use of an unfinished private basement with W/D hookup.