• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Georgist Question

Started by Dreepa, July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Let's say that I move far away.
I have no neighbors.

Who do I pay my economic rent to? Do I have to mail a check back to 'civilization'?  What if I don't use money. Do I send them chickens?

Also if someone moves into my area do I have to pay them rent?

Lex

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT
I have no neighbors.

Who do I pay my economic rent to? Do I have to mail a check back to 'civilization'?  What if I don't use money. Do I send them chickens?

If you don't have any neighbors than this implies that there is "enough and as good for all" blah blah, however that saying goes... which means that there is no economic rent due.

If someone moves in and all the land is occupied then you have to start paying economic rent to the "excluded".

Dreepa

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 01:08 PM NHFT

If someone moves in and all the land is occupied then you have to start paying economic rent to the "excluded".
But I could give him some land and then I wouldn't have to pay?

Lex

Basically the theory goes like this:

Since no one individual created the earth and the earth/land preceded us nobody can claim ownership of it because you can only claim ownership of things you either labored to create or purchased from someone else (you can't purchase land from someone else because how would they have gotten it?). So we all own the land in common and we must share it. Since it would be impractical to divide up the earth into equal portions and redistribute it to every individual on earth and do this everytime someone is born or dies they devised a system whereby anyone who owns land compensates those who do not by paying what they call an "economic rent". This system guarantees that everyone has a place to live (which is what FrankChadorov is constantly going on about) because the land owners have land and the non-land owners get compensation for not owning land which they can then use to pay their apartment rent, etc.

If where you live there is nobody in need of land, hence there is enough land for everyone to live without fighting over it, you don't need to compensate anyone and so there is no economic land. Today georgists argue that all land is occupied so we have to start collecting economic rent to compensate all the non-owners of land.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT
I have no neighbors.

if you have no neighbors maybe there is no economic rent attached to the location...did the land have any value when you bought the property or just the buildings?

do you mean there are no other people in the municipality?

Lex

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 01:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 01:08 PM NHFT

But I could give him some land and then I wouldn't have to pay?

Yes, basically.

Dreepa

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 01:19 PM NHFT

Since no one individual created the earth and the earth/land preceded us nobody can claim ownership of it because you can only claim ownership of things you either labored to create or purchased from someone else (you can't purchase land from someone else because how would they have gotten it?). So we all own the land in common and we must share it. Since it would be impractical to divide up the earth into equal portions and redistribute it to every individual on earth and do this everytime someone is born or dies they devised a system whereby anyone who owns land compensates those who do not by paying what they call an "economic rent". This system guarantees that everyone has a place to live (which is what FrankChadorov is constantly going on about) because the land owners have land and the non-land owners get compensation for not owning land which they can then use to pay their apartment rent, etc.

If where you live there is nobody in need of land, hence there is enough land for everyone to live without fighting over it, you don't need to compensate anyone and so there is no economic land. Today georgists argue that all land is occupied so we have to start collecting economic rent to compensate all the non-owners of land.
Thanks Lex,

Frank why don't you state things like that!

FrankChodorov

This system guarantees that everyone has a place to live (which is what FrankChadorov is constantly going on about) because the land owners have land and the non-land owners get compensation for not owning land which they can then use to pay their apartment rent, etc.

it guarantees no such thing...all it guarantees is simple social justice (the absolute right to labor products/self-ownership) via equal liberty.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Dreepa on July 10, 2006, 01:22 PM NHFT

Thanks Lex,

Frank why don't you state things like that!

how is the little grasshopper going to learn if I spell it out so clearly for him?

how about that koan Lex - have you figured it out yet?

it mimics:

property is theft, property is liberty!

Dreepa

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 01:33 PM NHFT

how is the little grasshopper going to learn if I spell it out so clearly for him?

I am more like a spider not a grasshopper.

These days...I can't read pages of philosphy anymore. GOP, DEM, commie (ok I can still read the Russian stuff), anarchy, libertarian... it is too much.

I like Russell's mantra... simple.

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 01:27 PM NHFT
This system guarantees that everyone has a place to live (which is what FrankChadorov is constantly going on about) because the land owners have land and the non-land owners get compensation for not owning land which they can then use to pay their apartment rent, etc.

it guarantees no such thing...all it guarantees is simple social justice (the absolute right to labor products/self-ownership) via equal liberty.

How can you have self-ownership if you don't have a place to stand?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 01:54 PM NHFT

a place to stand and a place to live are different...

the best we can do is say that no matter where anyone else chooses to locate you will not be economically harmed...

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 02:11 PM NHFT

the best we can do is say that no matter where anyone else chooses to locate you will not be economically harmed...

Ooohhh...  ;D I think Frank is starting to see the hole in his system.

Self-ownership isn't important anymore, it's being economically harmed that matters. I see.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 02:16 PM NHFT

Self-ownership isn't important anymore, it's being economically harmed that matters. I see.

the amount of economic harm when is subjected to defines the extent that one's abolute right to the fruits of one's labor and thus self-ownership are being violated...

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 10, 2006, 02:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 10, 2006, 02:16 PM NHFT

the amount of economic harm when is subjected to defines the extent that one's abolute right to the fruits of one's labor and thus self-ownership are being violated...

What good is compensating someone for economic harm if they don't have somewhere to stand/exist and thus make use of the compensation.