• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Georgist Question

Started by Dreepa, July 10, 2006, 12:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 13, 2006, 11:32 AM NHFT
This is the liberation of the earth from private ownership.'

That quote must be from Lenin or Marx or Hillary.

Lex

Quote from: Dreepa on July 13, 2006, 12:20 PM NHFT

Frank is finally starting to be honest about what he's really in support of  ;)

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 13, 2006, 12:25 PM NHFT

this was a quote from Tolstoy written to his wife in the late 1800's...not me.

I only advocate the equal sharing of economic rent between neighbors in the community.

George advocated that the economic rent be the sole source of public revenue - that it could be spent in such a way (public works) as to benefit everyone equally.

it was preceded by the sentence:

"This is a step forward of equal importance to the liberation of our serfs."

he obviously saw it as a way to liberate not enslave.

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 13, 2006, 01:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 13, 2006, 12:25 PM NHFT

this was a quote from Tolstoy written to his wife in the late 1800's...not me.

I only advocate the equal sharing of economic rent between neighbors in the community.

George advocated that the economic rent be the sole source of public revenue - that it could be spent in such a way (public works) as to benefit everyone equally.

it was preceded by the sentence:

"This is a step forward of equal importance to the liberation of our serfs."

he obviously saw it as a way to liberate not enslave.

I'm sure you see your system "as a way to liberate not enslave" yet that doesn't make it right or mean that your system will actually liberate and not enslave. I think your system will lead to the opposite, it will continue to enslave people into working for eternity simply to keep their land from being stolen for "public good" or to subsidize those who don't want to take the time to save money and purchase their own land.  ::)

FrankChodorov

Quoteit will continue to enslave people into working for eternity simply to...

EXIST

the system as it is today does this...

who don't want to take the time to save money and purchase their own land.

it is a zero sum game (locations are fixed in supply)...all increases in wages get quickly capitalized into higher rents that tenants have to pay (see Ricardo's law of rent).

this perpetually keeps them at a subsistence living level so they can not save any money to buy into the system to then turn from exploited to exploiter.

Lex

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 13, 2006, 01:43 PM NHFT

EXIST

it is a zero sum game...all increases in wages get quickly capitalized into higher rents that tenants have to pay (see Ricardo's law of rent).

this perpetually keeps them at a subsistence living level so they can not save any money to buy into the system to then turn from exploited to exploiter.

Why don't they buy property instead?

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 13, 2006, 01:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 13, 2006, 01:43 PM NHFT

EXIST

it is a zero sum game...all increases in wages get quickly capitalized into higher rents that tenants have to pay (see Ricardo's law of rent).

Why don't they buy property instead?

the purchase price they pay is just capitalized economic rent...the right of self-ownership doesn't have to be purchased or gifted.

as I said in the previous post ALL increases in wages end up being capitalized into higher rents living folks at subsistence living levels so they can not save the money to buy into becoming an exploiter...

have you ever known an area that wages are going up while land prices are coming down?

BaRbArIaN

Quote from: FrankChodorov on July 13, 2006, 01:48 PM NHFT

as I said in the previous post ALL increases in wages end up being capitalized into higher rents living folks at subsistence living levels so they can not save the money to buy into becoming an exploiter...

have you ever known an area that wages are going up while land prices are coming down?

Three mile island?  Iraq?

In summary,  it seems the core belief you have is that by accident of being born, all humans should have their needs met by the collective for the common good (i.e. communal "rent") backed up by government force, no?

FrankChodorov

QuoteIn summary,  it seems the core belief you have is that by accident of being born, all humans should have their needs met by the collective for the common good (i.e. communal "rent") backed up by government force, no?

no...inorder to have the right to self-ownership that doesn't have to be purchased or gifted  - land ownership must be made conditional otherwise the collection of economic rent by the landowners can only come at the expense of the absolute rights to the fruits of labor and thus self-ownership itself.

collective ownership and ownership in common are actually opposite.

one is a group right that leads to positive liberty...

the other is an individual right that leads to negative liberty...

do you know which is which?

Lex

That is the problem and it is not solved by your economic rent thing. Find a better solution.

FrankChodorov

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on July 13, 2006, 04:18 PM NHFT

That is the problem and it is not solved by your economic rent thing. Find a better solution.

sure it is...

those that don't own land today and have to rent no longer pay the economic rent as the increased supply of housing options squeezes the er out of the lease payment to the tenant.

also those that are purely speculating on their land will sell.

BaRbArIaN

You'd relegate retirees to living in low rent apartments rather than owning their houses and land as they deserve.  That's the only thing they could afford on your welfare state checks.